Gospel of Thomas worth it?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Adam

Gospel of Thomas worth it?

Post by Adam »

Priced per page it's not so bad, just $250 for 723 (+xii) pages, and Coptic and Greek besides, no doubt. It's Simon Gathercole's The Gospel of Thomas.
"Second century Greek original (p. 23)" not based on interpolations.
Well-known conservative, he believes, but does not argue, that GoT is based on "Matthew and Luke (p. 120)". Reviewed by Stevan Davies, p. 764 in the October 2015 Catholic Biblical Quarterly
Bart Ehrman already has two books out, one with the untranslated texts and more recently with the translation in English unbracketed for suppositional readings.
outhouse

Re: Gospel of Thomas worth it?

Post by outhouse »

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gospel-Thomas ... 9004190414

$205

Worth it ? not to me, but its not my flavor
Charles Wilson

Re: Gospel of Thomas worth it?

Post by Charles Wilson »

There may be an Algo at work. I've noticed it a few times. I was looking to replace Tim Stowers book on the Spread Option a year or two ago - $240!!! A $12 book!
A few weeks later, the book had "settled" back to around $23.

On the other hand, I don't think I'll ever get to get a copy of Uzi Leibner's book on Settlements in the Galilee. It'll always be about $200 more than I'll ever have at one time. It may just be how the Market works right now on Amazon.
*Sigh*