Carrier: Bart Ehrman Just Can’t Do Truth or Logic

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Carrier: Bart Ehrman Just Can’t Do Truth or Logic

Post by maryhelena »

Bart Ehrman Just Can’t Do Truth or Logic

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/10134

Ehrman went on to say this (before turning to why he thinks his apocalyptic prophet hypothesis is the most likely theory of Jesus, which I agree is most likely true if the core Doherty thesis is false, so I see no need to critique him on that):

Yet Carrier says in OHJ:

page 53/54 of On the Historicity of Jesus - Why we might have reasons to doubt

Unlike the minimal theory of historicity, however, what I have just said
is not strictly entailed. If 'Jesus Christ began as a celestial deity' is false,
it could still be that he began as a political fiction
, for example (as some
scholars have indeed argued-the best examples being R.G. Price and
Gary Courtney).16 But as will become dear in following chapters (especially Chapter 11), such a premise has a much lower prior probability (and thus is already at a huge disadvantage over Premise 1 even before we start examining the evidence), and a very low consequent probability (though it
suits the Gospels well
, it just isn't possible to explain the evidence in the
Epistles this way, and the origin of Christianity itself becomes very hard
to explain as well). Although I leave open the possibility it may yet be vindicated, I'm sure it's very unlikely to be, and accordingly I will assume its prior probability is too small even to show up in our math. This decision can be reversed only by a sound and valid demonstration that we must
assign it a higher prior or consequent, but that I leave to anyone who thinks
it's possible. In the meantime, what we have left is Premise 1, such that if
that is less probable than minimal historicity, then I would be convinced
historicity should be affirmed (particularly as the 'political fiction' theory
already fits historicity
and thus is not really a challenge to it-indeed that's
often the very kind of fiction that gets written about historical persons)

(my bolding)

Carrier hedging his bets? Apocalyptic prophet or political fiction.....

Doherty has no Pauline celestial christ figure euhemerized into the gospel Jesus...That's Carrier's theory. Doherty finds a preacher figure in Q - albeit an imagined figure. Wells finds a flesh and blood preacher figure in Q. Carrier has ditched Q - so has lost the earthly element that both Doherty and Wells maintained existed independent from the Pauline celestial christ story.

Earl Doherty on FRDB.

(2) You have little or no knowledge of my case if you think that I am saying that the Gospels, or Mark, are entirely based on historicizing the Pauline Christ. In fact, the Gospels would not ever have been written on such a basis, for in large part they are dependent not on Paul or any celestial Christ but on an historical "kingdom of God" preaching movement of the first century centered in Galilee and represented in the Q document.

I'm beginning to think that Carrier should clearly state his differences with Doherty...

My own objections to Doherty have never been about his celestial christ 'crucifixion' theory. My objection has been the refusal of Doherty to seriously consider Jewish history in relationship to the gospel story. The Jerusalem above - Pauline theology/philosophy - requires a Jerusalem below. Not some imaginary figure of the ''kingdom of God preaching movement'' but flesh and blood historical figures whose lives motivated the gospel writers to write their story.

Ditching Q might well have benefits for gospel research. However, the gospel story is what it is - with or without Q. Consequently, either using Q in support of a theory (Wells and Doherty) or ditching Q to support a theory (Carrier) has no impact upon the gospel story itself. The gospel story remains what it is - a story.

--------------------

Carrier: 'It now seems clear. Historicity can only be defended with lies'.

Oh dear.......
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
MrMacSon

Re: Carrier: Bart Ehrman Just Can’t Do Truth or Logic

Post by MrMacSon »

maryhelena wrote: The Jerusalem above - Pauline theology/philosophy - requires a Jerusalem below. Not some imaginary figure of the ''kingdom of God preaching movement'' but flesh and blood historical figures whose lives motivated the gospel writers to write their story.
After the decimation of Jerusalem from 70 AD/CE, after the the Bar Kokhba revolt, and the subsequent rebuilding of a new city, renamed 'Aelia Capitolina', without a Jewish Temple; the only Jerusalem was in heaven (Hadrian had also ceremonially burned the sacred scroll on the Temple Mount, and wiped the names Judea and Ancient Israel off the map and replaced it with 'Syria Palaestina').
  • Hadrian had vowed to rebuild Jerusalem in 130 AD from the wreckage that had persisted from 70 AD/CE, as a gift to the Jewish people. The Jews awaited with hope but then, after Hadrian visited Jerusalem, he was told that rebuilding the Second Temple would encourage sedition. He then decided to rebuild the city as a Roman colony which would be inhabited by his legionaries. Hadrian's new plans included temples to the major regional deities, and certain Roman gods, in particular Jupiter Capitolinus.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

maryhelena wrote:Carrier hedging his bets? Apocalyptic prophet or political fiction.....
I don't see him hedging his bets here. IIUC apocalyptic prophet and political fiction may fall into the historicity bucket, but for Carrier the evidence for political fiction is so low it doesn't need to be considered until a compelling argument for it is made.
maryhelena wrote:Carrier: 'It now seems clear. Historicity can only be defended with lies'.

Oh dear.......
:lol: It makes a nice drinking game: take a shot whenever Carrier accuses someone of lying (take a double-shot if he accuses someone of being insane). In that blog post, he accuses Ehrman of lying or being truth-challenged seven times, so:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

MrMacSon wrote:
maryhelena wrote: The Jerusalem above - Pauline theology/philosophy - requires a Jerusalem below. Not some imaginary figure of the ''kingdom of God preaching movement'' but flesh and blood historical figures whose lives motivated the gospel writers to write their story.
After the decimation of Jerusalem from 70 AD/CE, after the the Bar Kokhba revolt, and the subsequent rebuilding of a new city, renamed 'Aelia Capitolina', without a Jewish Temple; the only Jerusalem was in heaven (Hadrian had also ceremonially burned the sacred scroll on the Temple Mount, and wiped the names Judea and Ancient Israel off the map and replaced it with 'Syria Palaestina').
We are dealing with an allegory - and when this allegory was written (consensus dating pre 70 c.e.) Jerusalem and it's temple functioned. The context being two covenants. One covenant being related to earthly matters and the other covenant being related to spiritual matter i.e. the Jerusalem below and the Jerusalem above. The fall of Jerusalem and it's temple does not mean that the spiritual covenant superseded the earthly covenant. The new covenant functions within it's own context of freedom. The other context, the Jerusalem below and the Law still had relevance.

For example: Law and Freedom are part of our physical and social existence. We live according to the Law of our physical nature and we are Free according to our intellectual nature. That's a philosophical take on the two covenants related to the Jerusalem above and the Jerusalem below. Heavenly concerns, intellectual concerns, do not, cannot, negate the physical Laws by which we live our physical, earthly lives. Spiritual matters enrich our physical lives they do not sustain our physicality - for that we need to obey the laws that govern our physical existence.

And that, after all is said and done, is the thrust of the NT story. Pauline writings emphasize spirituality (the Jerusalem above) and gospel writing emphasize physicality (the Jerusalem below). Flesh and blood and an evolving intellect. Human nature ;)
W.B. Yeats
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

GakuseiDon wrote:
maryhelena wrote:Carrier: 'It now seems clear. Historicity can only be defended with lies'.

Oh dear.......
:lol: It makes a nice drinking game: take a shot whenever Carrier accuses someone of lying (take a double-shot if he accuses someone of being insane). In that blog post, he accuses Ehrman of lying or being truth-challenged seven times, so:
:lol:
W.B. Yeats
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

maryhelena wrote:Bart Ehrman Just Can’t Do Truth or Logic

Dr Carrier writes:
  • Bart Ehrman was again asked what evidence there is that Jesus existed this February 18, 2016, at Fresno City College. See the video here (he begins his answer at timestamp 23:18). First he says this:
    • "I don’t think there is any doubt that Jesus existed. There are a couple of scholars who’ve argued he didn’t exist. There are a lot of voices out there saying that he didn’t exist. But they’re not by scholars who are actually trained in any historical disciplines. There are voices on the internet. But there are voices on the internet for all sorts of things. Scholars who study this stuff really, there isn’t any, it’s not a question that’s debated among my colleagues. It is not debated. Because the evidence is so overwhelming."
    This is not a very truthful statement.

There are seven fully qualified scholars on the record who doubt the historicity of Jesus. Not “a couple.”
But Ehrman wrote that there are "a couple of scholars who've argued [Jesus] didn't exist", not "who doubt the historicity of Jesus". Carrier has to be one of the sloppiest readers I've come across. No wonder he thinks so many people lie to him! (Take a shot whenever Carrier misreads someone's comment! :cheers: )

If there are seven fully qualified scholars who have argued that Jesus didn't exist, I'd like to see those arguments. Carrier lists the seven who doubt historicity here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/1794#22
  1. Arthur Droge, a sitting professor of early Christianity at UCSD.
  2. Kurt Noll, a sitting professor of religion at Brandon University
  3. Thomas Brodie, a retired professor of biblical studies
  4. Richard Carrier
  5. Robert M Price, as fully qualified independent scholars
  6. Thomas Thompson, a retired professor of some renown
  7. Hector Avalos, a sitting professor of religion at Iowa State University, has also declared his agnosticism about historicity as well.
Carrier is right that the above scholars at least doubt historicity. But of the scholars above who have actually argued that Jesus did not exist, there only seems to be Brodie and Carrier. Dr Robert M Price supports ahistoricity though I'm not aware that he has made an argument for it. But if we count him, then there are three, in which case Ehrman is wrong about 'a couple'.

For the others:

Prof. Thompson doesn't appear to have made an argument for ahistoricity. His arguments are more towards academia's misplaced confidence in the assumptions of historicity within early texts. Thompson wrote in 2012 (my bolding): http://www.bibleinterp.com/articles/tho368005.shtml
  • In an article ('The Historiography of the Pentateuch: 25 Years after Historicity' Scandinavian Journal of the Old Testament 13, 1999, 258-283) I have discussed why I think it is very difficult to establish the historicity of figures in biblical narrative, as the issue rather relates to the quality of texts one is dealing with. I work further on this issue in my Messiah Myth of 2005. Here I argue that the synoptic gospels can hardly be used to establish the historicity of the figure of Jesus; for both the episodes and sayings with which the figure of Jesus is presented are stereotypical and have a history that reaches centuries earlier. I have hardly shown that Jesus did not exist and did not claim to. Rather, I compared our knowledge about Jesus to our knowledge of figures like Homer. As soon as we try to identify such an historical figure, we find ourselves talking about the thematic elements of stories.

I do not distance myself from 'mythicists' as I do not see this term as referring to any scholars I know.
Dr Hector Avalos wrote in 2013: http://amestrib.com/sections/opinion/co ... jesus.html
  • My own opinion, as an academic biblical scholar, is that there is not enough evidence to settle the question one way or the other. I am an agnostic about the existence of the historical Jesus.
A quick google shows that Arthur Droge and Kurt Noll seem to be agnostic on the question of historicity. No arguments for ahistoricity.

Does anyone know if any of the scholars above (other than Carrier and Brodie) have made an argument for ahistoricity?
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

maryhelena wrote:
GakuseiDon wrote: :lol: It makes a nice drinking game: take a shot whenever Carrier accuses someone of lying (take a double-shot if he accuses someone of being insane). In that blog post, he accuses Ehrman of lying or being truth-challenged seven times, so:
:lol:
I mispoke (lied?) Add in also Carrier saying that Ehrman wasn't being 'honest' (6 times), you get to 13 shots! That's more than half a bottle of Glenmorangie Scotch Whiskey, Carrier's preferred drink.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

GakuseiDon wrote:
maryhelena wrote:Bart Ehrman Just Can’t Do Truth or Logic

Dr Carrier writes:
  • Thomas Brodie, a retired professor of biblical studies
Must admit I'm a little taken aback by Carrier referencing Thomas Brodie after giving Brodie's book a thumbs down.....

Here is Carrier on Brodie's book: Beyond the search for the historical Jesus: Memoir of a Discovery

Brodie on Jesus

This book is as the subtitle says: a memoir. It isn’t really a good book for arguing his case. In fact, it’s terrible at that. Consequently, I cannot recommend this book to anyone who wants to see a good case for Jesus not existing.
However, even were he to write that hypothetical book, I still don’t think he’d have a case. Not that there isn’t a good case for the conclusion (that Jesus probably did not really exist historically as the Gospels claim). Rather, I think Brodie has come to that conclusion invalidly, from a rather weak series of arguments.
My interest is in this book’s value toward advancing the historicity debate. Assessment: it unfortunately won’t.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/2795

W.B. Yeats
Clive

Post by Clive »

Why doesn't a christ conjured up during rituals fall in the historicity bucket?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive

Post by Clive »

and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of Me.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"