3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ged

3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

Post by Ged »

Early Christian historian, Eusebius, said that Jesus’ ministry lasted three years. I agree, and so do a lot of commentaries and people who attempt to harmonize the gospels. However, problems start when we try to make St. Johns account fit with the synoptic gospels; big problems. :(

Ive finally managed to get my timeline up on the forum. Here is how I see a 3-year, step by step, chronology of Jesus’ ministry. Notice how it takes the sequence of events in St Johns gospel more seriously than what some have thought. My view is that the synoptic gospels do not contradict John after all. However, we need to accept two separate ‘cleansings’ of the temple – one at each end of his ministry. Let’s see what folks think, and I’ll try to explain my scheme as we go along.

Ged

The science of arranging time in periods and ascertaining the dates and historical order of past events.
GakuseiDon

Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

Post by GakuseiDon »

The question has to first be: how do you know that the Gospels accurately portray Jesus' timeline? One could ask how long it took Harry Potter to defeat Voldemort after entering Hogwarts, but it says nothing about what 'really' happened.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Ged

Post by Ged »

GakuseiDon wrote:The question has to first be: how do you know that the Gospels accurately portray Jesus' timeline?
Well, a timeline that fits all of the gospel accounts goes some of the way with your question.

The seasons provide us with clues to the chronological order of the gospels. The month of Nisan was springtime, and the month of Tishri was autumn. They were also when the 2 main feasts of Passover and Tabernacles were observed.

That is why I have shown Nisan and Tishri on each year, because it enables us to pinpoint summer and winter events in-between. For example, the eating of the grain (Mark 2:23) could have only happened in the summer in the middle of Jesus' first year.

Similarly, it helps locate the ‘calming of the sea’ (Mark 4:35) because storms in Galilee were a feature of winter there. When these seasonal clues are taken into account, the various gospel stories fit together quite nicely.
The science of arranging time in periods and ascertaining the dates and historical order of past events.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Sorry but the original ministry of Jesus was one year. It doesn't matter whether you and Eusebius concur.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

According to my research, the "ministry" of Jesus lasted less than one year, from June/July 27 to March/April 28. I doubt that "ministry" (I rather use "public life") was much active during the winter, so that would shorten it to about 4/5 months in 27, plus a few days around Passover in 28.
The Synoptics suggest one year, and the original gJohn indicated a year and a few weeks.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Irenaeus said the heretics understood the ministry to be one year and cited Isaiah 61 as support evidence (a text which Jesus reads or cites at the beginning of the gospel). Whether this one year period included the post-resurrection appearances is debatable. Whether a 'year' is understood as a jubilee year which included a six month period before the year to help announce the jubilee is also an open question and probably too far removed to warrant serious discussion. But I do think that Jesus entering a synagogue or the temple announcing the 'year of favor' was somehow at hand is a clue for the start of the ministry (i.e. a liturgical setting which would justify making this announcement). On the surface at least the proper dating would be Yom Kippur. The 'end' of the ministry would seem to be Passover. But Clement and others seem to think it was 360 days i.e. a full year.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

There is no debate here. Neither is known to be accurate in any way, and the best guesses have been 1 to 3 years. But no credibility in either.

We have no idea how long he studied under John either. But if he knew all or even half the parables attributed, you cannot learn those in a few years, then be expected to wow the public.

Now we are dealing with the possibility of how long he taught after Johns death. I happy saying "unknown" but would guess under 5 years in time.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

outhouse wrote:We have no idea how long he studied under John either.
:D

We don't even have any idea whether he studied under John at all. That's just the pipe dream of some NT scholar.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

outhouse is living proof that a little knowledge is dangerous
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Ulan wrote:
outhouse wrote:We have no idea how long he studied under John either.
:D

We don't even have any idea whether he studied under John at all. That's just the pipe dream of some NT scholar.

Yes we do. My statement carries historicity, just because many here refuse what is accepted, does not change the current status of historicity.

It can be considered a certainty he did such. many claim this as a fact as much as a historical even can be considered such.

There is "near universal consensus" among biblical scholars that Jesus existed historically,[1][2][3][nb 1][nb 2][nb 3][nb 4

The only two events subject to "almost universal assent" are that Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist and was crucified by the order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate