A Suggestion From Trobisch for a Corinthians-First Canon

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
stephan happy huller

Re: A Suggestion From Trobisch for a Corinthians-First Canon

Post by stephan happy huller »

Citations of 1 Corinthians in 1 Clement:
1. 1Clem 47:1 Take up the epistle of the blessed Paul the Apostle. What wrote he first unto you in the beginning of the Gospel? Of a truth he charged you in the Spirit concerning himself and Cephas and Apollos, because that even then ye had made parties.

1 Corinthians 1, 10 - 1 Clement 47 § 3 (p.60, l.26) BP1
1 Corinthians 1, 17 - 1 Clement 47 § 3 (p.60, l.26) BP1
- 1 Clement 13.1 - Let us therefore, brethren, be of humble mind, laying aside all haughtiness, and pride, and foolishness, and angry feelings; and let us act according to that which is written (for the Holy Spirit says, "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, neither let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him that glories glory in the Lord, in diligently seeking Him, and doing judgment and righteousness" ), being especially mindful of the words of the Lord Jesus which He spoke teaching us meekness and long-suffering. (Jer 9.24)

1 Corinthians 1, 31 1 Clement 13 § 1 (p.42, l.5) BP
2. And let us therefore, conscientiously gathering together in harmony, cry to Him earnestly, as with one mouth, that we may be made partakers of His great and glorious promises. For [the Scripture] says, "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which He has prepared for them that wait for Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9

1 Corinthians 2, 9 - 1 Clement 34 § 8 (p.54, l.1) BP1, 35 § 3 (p.54, l.6) BP1
1 Corinthians 12:12, 21, 22 - 12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body. 21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor.

Let us take our body as an example. The head without the feet is nothing; so likewise the feet without the head are nothing: even the smallest limbs of our body are necessary and useful for the whole body: but all the members conspire and unite in subjection, that the whole body maybe saved.

1 Corinthians 12, 12 Epistula ad Corinthios prima 37 § 5 (p.55, l.29) BP1
1 Corinthians 12, 21 Epistula ad Corinthios prima 37 § 5 (p.55, l.29) BP1
1 Corinthians 12, 22 Epistula ad Corinthios prima 37 § 5 (p.55, l.30) BP1
1 Corinthians 13:4,7 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love joineth us unto God; love covereth a multitude of sins; loveendureth all things, is long-suffering in all things. There is nothing coarse, nothing arrogant in love. Love hath no divisions, love maketh no seditions, love doeth all things in concord. In love were all the elect of God made perfect; without love nothing is well pleasing to God:

1 Corinthians 13, 4 Epistula ad Corinthios prima 49 § 5 (p.61, l.26) BP1
1 Corinthians 13, 7 Epistula ad Corinthios prima 49 § 5 (p.61, l.26) BP1
1 Corinthians 15:23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him

Let us understand, dearly beloved, how the Master continually showeth unto us the resurrection that shall be hereafter; whereof He
made the Lord Jesus Christ the firstfruit, when He raised Him from the dead.

1 Corinthians 15, 23 Epistula ad Corinthios prima 24 § 1 (p.49, l.11) BP1
Everyone loves the happy times
stephan happy huller

2 Clement and 1 Corinthians

7:1 - So then, my brethren, let us contend, knowing that the contest is nigh at hand, and that, while many resort to the corruptible contests, yet not all are crowned, but only they that have toiled hard and contended bravely.

1 Corinthians 9, 24 - 5 Epistula ad Corinthios secunda 7 § 1 (p.74, l.9) BP1

9:3 We ought therefore to guard the flesh as a temple of God

1 Corinthians 3, 16 - 17 - Epistula ad Corinthios secunda - 9 § 3 (p.75, l.8)
stephan happy huller

I am not sure whether the echoes in 2 Clement comes from Polycarpianisms infecting the Marcionite corpus or represent the actual original shape of the letter known to the Marcionites (because they are not explicit 'citations.'
stephan happy huller

The readers of many of these threads will be happy to know that I have been encouraged to write one of two possible papers on this subject:

I made five sales today at my day job but it was this development that 'made my day.' Of course now begins the dreaded part of actually writing a coherent paper. As I have very little discipline I am feeling butterflies in the pit of my stomach. But it is a good thing I guess. If truth be told, as much as I criticize this field, I am very happy today.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

You're missing the quote now, but it basically said that it's better to write an article on a single, specific, and narrowly-defined subject.

Let that sink in as people complain about the dearth of articles in journals arguing that there was no historical Jesus. (And the absence of many arguing that there was.)

How the hell do you get that down to 10-20 pages? Maybe 30 pages if people want to give you a platform. The answer is, you don't. It shows disrespect for the reader to suggest you could really cover all the bases in a journal article. Maybe that's why it's been primarily the subject of books (in either direction).
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
stephan happy huller

Exactly. It's like trying to get a 70's disco band like Earth Wind and Fire to cut a song down to a 3 minute format. Everyone's high. Everyone's in the groove. Who's thinking 'hit single'?

I mean it. There really is a parallel here.