Mark: Why the Baptist had to die for some other reasons

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
outhouse

Re: Mark: Why the Baptist had to die for some other reasons

Post by outhouse »

Tenorikuma wrote:Interesting idea — that never occurred to me. I have assumed that Mark was writing from a more Hellenistic perspective in which wives could divorce their husbands. (Matthew takes pains to correct this, since under Jewish law, only men could divorce their wives.)

Which is a direct reflection of the early struggles in Christianity. It was a diverse movement with wide and varied views.

While Mark is not adhering to laws near as much as Matthews communities, they were both 100% Hellenistic.

Its my opinion it would be a mistake to think because Matthew held on to the Jewish laws tighter then other groups, that he was any "less Hellenistic"
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Tenorikuma wrote:And as is well known, he get wrong the detail of which of Herod's sons Herodias the mother had been married to. It's quite a spectacular mess.

probably historicalMark's story
Herod AntipasHerod
TetrarchKing
subordinate to the Romansoffered half of his kingdom with an oath
feared a rebellion because of John's entouragefeared John as a righteous and holy man
wanted to kill Johnarrested John, but did not want to kill, heard John gladly
thought it best, by putting him to deathwas exceedingly sorry
it was his own decisiondid not want to break his word because of his oaths and his guests

HerodiasHerodias
his brother Herod’s wifehis brother Philip’s wife
had probably nothing to do with the murderwas the driving force of John's murder

Salomeprobably also named Herodias
daughter of Herodias, not of Herodprobably also Herod's daughter
was an adult womanwas a young girl
highly unlikely that the princess went in the men's symposiumdanced in front of Herod's nobles and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee
had probably nothing to do with the murder„innocent“ murder instigator as strawman of the mother

JoeWallack wrote:John the Baptist was killed for the wrong reason.
The Disciples went out on their mission for the wrong reason.
I agree with much of what you write. But it seems there are too many changes only for "a wrong reason"
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:
Tenorikuma wrote:And as is well known, he get wrong the detail of which of Herod's sons Herodias the mother had been married to. It's quite a spectacular mess.

Herod AntipasHerod
TetrarchKing
feared a rebellion because of John's entouragefeared John as a righteous and holy man
it was his own decisiondid not want to break his word because of his oaths and his guests

HerodiasHerodias
had probably nothing to do with the murderwas the driving force of John's murder

highly unlikely that the princess went in the men's symposiumdanced in front of Herod's nobles and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee
had probably nothing to do with the murder„innocent“ murder instigator as strawman of the mother

Great layout. Thanks.
I agree with much of what you write. But it seems there are too many changes only for "a wrong reason"
What do you think/suspect is going on with that? Why so many changes or (probably) unhistorical details?

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
JoeWallack

Post by JoeWallack »

Ben C. Smith wrote:

Herod AntipasHerod
TetrarchKing

HerodiasHerodias

Great layout. Thanks.
What do you think/suspect is going on with that? Why so many changes or (probably) unhistorical details?

Ben.
JW:
KK would agree with me that in general "Mark" (author) is more interested in style than history and the default position is that any individual pericope is fiction. You are not there yet but the (skeptical) spirit has moved you in that direction. Both of you would agree that "Mark" does use Intercalations and the theme of the Disciples' supposed mission is one of the most important themes in GMark.

Let's look at possible reasons for specific changes:

Mark's DiualCritical Marks. Names Use As Evidence of Fiction

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1418#p32131
Can't help wondering if the context hints at "pleasured" instead of pleased. Maybe it's just me. So Herod, husband of Herodius, has a daughter Herodius. A tightly knit family. Per Josephus, Herodius was Phillip's daughter. Another sacrifice to history.

In summary, "Mark's" overuse of the name "Herod" here:
  • 1) Naming Herod Antipas just Herod.

2) Calling this Herod King instead of Tetrarch (connecting to Herod the Great).

3) Bringing his wife Herodius into the story.

4) Saying his daughter was Herodius and bringing her into the story.
You're Making Things Up Again Markus

Most would agree that all four are historical errors but this post goes beyond that to claiming that "Mark" has made all these errors intentionally in order to invoke the name "Herod". Note especially that all these Herods/Herodiasses are in close proximity in "Mark's" potential source Josephus, "Mark" is just rearranging them with style.

"Mark" parallels with External sources as noted above and the above Herod banquet parallels well Internally with Jesus' banquet where evil and wicked Christian mistranslators have hidden the "reclining" connection. I have faith that our own frauline KK is about to give the sacrifices for the Kingdoms parallel as well. Note that John's sacrifice is a dead body while, as that great 20th century philosopher Joker said, Jesus' is "a live one".

Joseph

The Israeli/Arab Conflict - The Balfour Declaration - 1917
iskander

Post by iskander »

Herod AntipasHerod
TetrarchKing

HerodiasHerodias

Good work ! I will remember that the execution of John the Baptist is probably historical.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

iskander wrote: Good work ! I will remember that the execution of John the Baptist is probably historical.

Then the question becomes

With such a popular movement, would someone try and fill Johns shoes to keep the message alive?

I think if there was a political massage in the movement, the people would want to keep it going more so then a theological motive.
iskander

Post by iskander »

outhouse wrote:
iskander wrote: Good work ! I will remember that the execution of John the Baptist is probably historical.

Then the question becomes

With such a popular movement, would someone try and fill Johns shoes to keep the message alive?

I think if there was a political massage in the movement, the people would want to keep it going more so then a theological motive.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OCa ... nt&f=false

The execution of a religious troublemaker is often a trivial event for his/ her contemporaries. As an example , Elizabeth Barton dies on page 103 of, Reformation, by Diarmaid MacCulloch.
If John the Baptist existed , his importance would consist in providing evidence of a reforming movement in Palestine , that attracted people like Jesus and others.

I will leave this subject under your guidance.
Attachments
macculloch 1.PNG
macculloch 1.PNG (87.75 KiB) Viewed 8281 times
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

iskander wrote:his importance would consist in providing evidence of a reforming movement in Palestine , that attracted people like Jesus and others.

Well he is well known after being dead for 2 000 years.

He is said to have baptized Jesus, so the Jesus character is written that he was attracted to John.

John also was noticed buy Josephus writing some 60 ish years later.

And I don't think we have to have a reforming movement to have a vacuum that needed to be filled, hence my point of possible theological motive. And secondly a partial political movement, would not need be a reform movement.

With that said, the textual evidence is that it was in part a reform movement adopted and described after cross cultural traditions evolved and were eventually recorded.
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Nice work, KK. We may add that the historical scenario surrounding John the Baptist's death (according to Josephus) puts it around 37. This is incompatible with Mark, in which Jesus begins his ministry after JBap's death, yet is crucified by Pilate (who was removed from office in 36).
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

JoeWallack wrote:KK, you would agree that The Disciples are primary in GMark and John the Baptist is secondary.
Intercalation
enclosing or “sandwiching” one story in the middle of a different story (forming an A1, B, A2 pattern), so that each affects the interpretation of the other
In the Intercalation the middle part, which is secondary to the primary story, has a lesson, which needs to be applied to the outer part, which would otherwise lack it, in order to understand the significance of the outer part. It is the outer part which has the current thematic significance to the author. Here it's difficult to identify the lesson because of the relationship of the size of the middle part to the outer part, the middle part being so much bigger.
Yes, I agree.

The wording seems to indicate primarily that both stories are linked by the words "send out" (ἀποστέλλω - apostelló) and apostles (ἀπόστολοι - apostoloi).
7 And he called the twelve and began to send them out (ἀποστέλλειν) two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits.
............. 17 For it was Herod who had sent (ἀποστείλας) and seized John and bound him in prison for the sake of Herodias
............. 27 And immediately the king sent (ἀποστείλας) an executioner with orders to bring John’s head.
30 The apostles (ἀπόστολοι) returned to Jesus and told him all that they had done and taught.