Temple?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Temple?

Post by MrMacSon »

14. Conclusion

An examination and comparison between the areas and temples built throughout the Roman Empire and among the visible archeological remains in the Moriah Area, and consideration of the written testimonies and drawings lead us to the following conclusions:
  • The Moriah Area is not the Temple Mount built by Herod
  • The Moriah Area as we know it today was built by Hadrian
  • The Al-Aksa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock were built upon the remains of the Roman Temple.
  • The Temple Mount is hidden and enclosed within the Moriah Area
  • The Jewish Temple, or at least its remnants, exist between Al-Aksa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock in the area of Al Kas fountain.
The assumption that the Moriah Area is the work of Hadrian and his successors opens before the investigators new horizons for the understanding of Jerusalem and her secrets (56).

http://www.templemount.org/mtmoriah.html

• 56. Conclusions of this study demand reevaluation of a number of issues:
    • 1. Were the Hadriatic structures near the Damascus Gate and the Russian Hostel really of secondary use to Herodian building?

2. From what period are the stone arches under the Robinson Arch which are located under the level of the Herodian street.?

3. Is the stone on which is engraved "(Hebrew letters)" part of the stones of the wall?
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

3. It makes sense to suggest that in 135 AD, Hadrian build the outer wall of the temple mount we see today, since Josephus and the Mishna both say the size was half the what see today. The idea that Hadrian built the wailing and south walls, for example, is not without problems. First, the Hebrew inscription, "To the place of trumpeting" found by B. Mazar in the 1960's, at the base of the corner of the S.E. wall, is proof that Herod built the wall.

Conclusion:

1. A threshing floor would never have been built at the highest point of a hill where the Dome of the Rock presently sits.
2. Titus tore down the temple in 70 AD. Jesus said not one stone would be left upon another.

3. In 135 AD Hadrian enlarged the temple mount area and filled in dirt about 50 feet of dirt above the temple location, and built a temple to Jupiter. The temple of Jupiter featured a 6 sided (hexagon) building.

http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bible-ar ... -floor.htm
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Now bring me some credible sources. Not what you provided NEITHER of you comprehend.

The links you provided only state he enlarged part of it. John2 stated the whole mount was built by Hadrian as he did not comprehend it. or failed to represent his original thoughts.

Either way both of you fail. The temple mount was built by Herod with 100% historicity.

SO pay attention, I expect better from you of all people.

Hadrians temple to Jupiter does not mean he rebuilt the temple mount. he built on Herods work
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Yes, and, on the Temple Mount itself, it seems likely that Hadrian built on (added to) Herod's work there, too.

(I see you're still adding spaces, like some kind of puffer fish)
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Stop the rhetoric. My eyes up close are bad and I have poor grammar. My keyboard has no visible letters on the keys, they are all rubbed off so deal with it.
theterminator

Post by theterminator »

Good idea. Rebuild the temple, restore animal sacrifices, stone sabbath breakers and blasphemers . . . . Just like the good old days.
what i don't get is why are the punishment laws dependant on rebuilt temple?
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

theterminator wrote:
Good idea. Rebuild the temple, restore animal sacrifices, stone sabbath breakers and blasphemers . . . . Just like the good old days.
what i don't get is why are the punishment laws dependant on rebuilt temple?
Why get hung up about just one bit of the old religion? The law says the Temple also requires a priesthood from certain families, sacrifices, special fancy dress, special taxes etc.

The Jews who want to build the temple don't want to build it as just a tourist attraction or monument to the past. They want to restore the old worship -- some have indeed talked of animal sacrifices.

We already see some Jews enforcing the sabbath regulations to the letter in their districts. Some even want to expel the "Canaanites" from their land.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
John2

Post by John2 »

Outhouse wrote:

"Utterly retarded. Herods temple has 100% historicity."

And:

"Now bring me some credible sources."

Yes, Herod (re)built the second Temple and the area around it, of course, but according to Josephus (summarized by Goldberg here: http://josephus.org/FlJosephus2/warChronology7Fall.html), "Titus orders the whole city and Temple to be razed to the ground, leaving only the tallest towers and a small portion of the wall on the west. The Xth legion is left to garrison Jerusalem" (War 7 1-4).

There are other reasons Sagiv gives for seeing the Temple Mount being built or expanded on by Hadrian and I was not able to go into them in my earlier post. When I'm not at work I'm limited to two hours of internet time at the library because I don't own a computer (and never have). And I was in a bad mood yesterday because I found out that one of my hearing aids can't be fixed and I have to get a new one (which will set me back almost $1500 and I presently have fifty dollars in my wallet). And I also haven't thought about this issue in about 15 years, but I'm open to reinvestigating it (or any other issue), as much as time allows.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

Neil wrote:

"The Jews who want to build the temple don't want to build it as just a tourist attraction or monument to the past. They want to restore the old worship -- some have indeed talked of animal sacrifices."

I don't have an issue with animal sacrifice, even though I don't eat meat (I'm 44 and have been a vegetarian since I was seventeen and spent five years as a vegan in my thirties). People kill and/or eat animals now more than in antiquity, presumably. I don't see it as being any better to do it in a slaughterhouse or on a farm or in a steakhouse than at an altar or a temple. I see sacrifice as a barbeque with rules, and people seem to generally like barbeques. It all seems equally ghastly to me, regardless of the venue.

I came to grips with this issue back in the day when I realized that the vast majority of the Torah pertains to sacrifice and the priesthood. Even the laws of cleanness tie into it (as Lev. 15:31 puts it, "'You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place, which is among them'").

This is what Judaism is.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

To expand on the idea that God was okay with sacrifices outside of Jerusalem and that "the place the Lord will choose to put his name" is wherever the ark was (and not necessarily only in Jerusalem), 1 Sam. 6:13-15, 1 Sam. 7:6-9, and 2 Sam. 7:1-13 are examples of this.

"Now the people of Beth Shemesh were harvesting their wheat in the valley, and when they looked up and saw the ark, they rejoiced at the sight. The cart came to the field of Joshua of Beth Shemesh, and there it stopped beside a large rock. The people chopped up the wood of the cart and sacrificed the cows as a burnt offering to the Lord. The Levites took down the ark of the Lord, together with the chest containing the gold objects, and placed them on the large rock. On that day the people of Beth Shemesh offered burnt offerings and made sacrifices to the Lord."

"Now Samuel was serving as leader of Israel at Mizpah.When the Philistines heard that Israel had assembled at Mizpah, the rulers of the Philistines came up to attack them ... Then Samuel took a suckling lamb and sacrificed it as a whole burnt offering to the Lord. He cried out to the Lord on Israel’s behalf, and the Lord answered him."

"After the king [David] was settled in his palace and the Lord had given him rest from all his enemies around him, he said to Nathan the prophet, “Here I am, living in a house of cedar, while the ark of God remains in a tent” ... “Go and tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord says: Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in? I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought the Israelites up out of Egypt to this day. I have been moving from place to place with a tent as my dwelling. Wherever I have moved with all the Israelites, did I ever say to any of their rulers whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar? ... I will raise up your offspring to succeed you ... He is the one who will build a house for my Name."