Is John the Baptist a positive figure in Mark?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Is John the Baptist a positive figure in Mark?

Post by Giuseppe »

Mark is Pauline.

Gal 1:8-9 says that if a messenger from heaven should proclaim something contrary to the gospel of Paul, such a messenger should be cursed.

John was a messenger from heaven. He didn't see the Spirit coming down on Jesus.

Jesus was tempted by Satan in Mark 1:12. John lived in the wilderness.

Was John a false prophet in Mark, insofar a Jewish-Christian (anti-pauline) icon?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Is John the Baptist a positive figure in Mark?

Post by Peter Kirby »

The story of the death of John the Baptist certainly seems sympathetic, in several ways.
Mark 6:14-29New English Translation (NET Bible)

The Death of John the Baptist
14 Now King Herod heard this, for Jesus’ name had become known. Some were saying, “John the baptizer has been raised from the dead, and because of this, miraculous powers are at work in him.” 15 Others said, “He is Elijah.” Others said, “He is a prophet, like one of the prophets from the past.” 16 But when Herod heard this, he said, “John, whom I beheaded, has been raised!” 17 For Herod himself had sent men, arrested John, and bound him in prison on account of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, because Herod had married her. 18 For John had repeatedly told Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife.” 19 So Herodias nursed a grudge against him and wanted to kill him. But she could not 20 because Herod stood in awe of John and protected him, since he knew that John was a righteous and holy man. When Herod heard him, he was thoroughly baffled, and yet he liked to listen to John.

21 But a suitable day came, when Herod gave a banquet on his birthday for his court officials, military commanders, and leaders of Galilee. 22 When his daughter Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his dinner guests. The king said to the girl, “Ask me for whatever you want and I will give it to you.” 23 He swore to her, “Whatever you ask I will give you, up to half my kingdom.” 24 So she went out and said to her mother, “What should I ask for?” Her mother said, “The head of John the baptizer.” 25 Immediately she hurried back to the king and made her request: “I want the head of John the Baptist on a platter immediately.” 26 Although it grieved the king deeply, he did not want to reject her request because of his oath and his guests. 27 So the king sent an executioner at once to bring John’s head, and he went and beheaded John in prison. 28 He brought his head on a platter and gave it to the girl, and the girl gave it to her mother. 29 When John’s disciples heard this, they came and took his body and placed it in a tomb.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Is John the Baptist a positive figure in Mark?

Post by Peter Kirby »

Is this question really well-framed, though?

It reminds me of the phenomenon of "splitting" in psychology, commonly also called black-and-white thinking.

If we answer the binary question of whether this person was or was not "positive" to the author, what have we gained, after having reduced our inquiry to such narrow terms? Not much, I fear.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown