Archaeological Evidence of pre-Constantinian Christianity

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: What is the earliest Christian sarcophagus?

Post by neilgodfrey »

Leucius Charinus wrote:Finally Neil, when you write that the earliest sarcophagus is from the 2nd century, which sarcophagus was that? I have recently examined the sarcophagi in the HISTORUM discussion forum, and have linked to the discussion above.
I was probably thinking of the argument by Graydon Snyder in "Ante Pacem: Archaeological Evidence of Church Life Before Constantine". His concluding chapter is a discussion on why the Christian culture became visible around 180 CE. The earliest symbols that appeared around this time were those of the Orante (chapter 2), and the first one of these shown in his book is on the Santa Maria sarcophagus.

Snyder does discussing dating and methodology but I would need to take more time to see where/if/how he ascertains the date around 180. I originally wrote from memory and now I have glanced at Snyder's book again I wonder what I would conclude if I read it all afresh.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

neilgodfrey wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:Finally Neil, when you write that the earliest sarcophagus is from the 2nd century, which sarcophagus was that? I have recently examined the sarcophagi in the HISTORUM discussion forum, and have linked to the discussion above.
I was probably thinking of the argument by Graydon Snyder in "Ante Pacem: Archaeological Evidence of Church Life Before Constantine". His concluding chapter is a discussion on why the Christian culture became visible around 180 CE. The earliest symbols that appeared around this time were those of the Orante (chapter 2), and the first one of these shown in his book is on the Santa Maria sarcophagus.

The Orante seems to be some "Mother Goddess" unrelated to the Bible and NT.
Snyder does discussing dating and methodology but I would need to take more time to see where/if/how he ascertains the date around 180. I originally wrote from memory and now I have glanced at Snyder's book again I wonder what I would conclude if I read it all afresh.

I did a review on this book and its found here: http://www.mountainman.com.au/essenes/A ... Review.htm

The summary I made of his conclusion is indeed what you note in terms of chronology, but much remains questionable ....
SUMMARY of Snyder's Conclusion wrote:
p.163

CHAPTER 8: Summary

"The so-called Christian culture became visible about 180 CE ...."

***** This conjecture is entirely questionable!

"This visibility was achieved when Christians began to repeat certain symbols
more frequently that their non-Christian neighbours .... they utilised the
Judeo-Christian tradition as a backdrop for their symbolic art ..."

The Orante, The Good Shepherd, Fishes and Anchors were all pagan motifs

"While Gnosticism leaned toward a Jesus devoid of historical specificity, a
life-style that avoided community life, decision making and care, and an
anthropology that upheld personal fulfillment rather than family and community
mutuality, the early Christians promoted such values as the goodness of creation,
the necessaity of historicalness, the value of institutions, the importance of
family, and a pattern of community caring." [Cites the New Testament]

Here Graydon Snyder cites the NT in support of his argument.

A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Leucius Charinus

Re: Archaeological Evidence of pre-Constantinian Christianit

One symbol which I would expect to find in the archaeological record - especially on Christian gravestones - is the nomina sacra symbol for "Jesus Christ".

The Greek New Testament might not have been able to have been read by many - due to literacy.

But anyone interested in the sacred name of "Jesus Christ" could see these two Greek nomina sacra symbols in the Bible itself.

The symbol is not complicated. But where is it in the archaeology?
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:

The Orante seems to be some "Mother Goddess" unrelated to the Bible and NT.
I know there is debate about the Orante and it certainly seems to have predated Christianity but I thought its use so frequently in biblical scenes indicated it had been borrowed and reused by the Christians.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Leucius Charinus

neilgodfrey wrote:I know there is debate about the Orante and it certainly seems to have predated Christianity but I thought its use so frequently in biblical scenes indicated it had been borrowed and reused by the Christians.
http://depts.drew.edu/jhc/AbrahamsenOrante.pdf
by V Abrahamsen - ‎2002

They also appear to have borrowed the Good Shepherd.

Fishes and anchors are found on Roman imperial coins.

The problem is finding something explicit, and that does not happen until the 4th century "Christian Revolution" under the rule of Constantine.

The most highly respected evidence I have found to date is this:

* The palaeographically dated NT related papyri from Egypt
* The Dura-Europos "House-Church" and Papyri fragment supposed "terminus ad quem"
* The church history of Eusebius
* The New Testament itself
* Josephus, Philo's "therapeutae", Tacitus, Pliny, Mani and other non-Christian sources references before the 4th century

None of this stuff appears to be 100% water-tight
spin

Post by spin »

:tomato:
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:I know there is debate about the Orante and it certainly seems to have predated Christianity but I thought its use so frequently in biblical scenes indicated it had been borrowed and reused by the Christians.
http://depts.drew.edu/jhc/AbrahamsenOrante.pdf
by V Abrahamsen - ‎2002

They also appear to have borrowed the Good Shepherd.

Fishes and anchors are found on Roman imperial coins.

The problem is finding something explicit, and that does not happen until the 4th century "Christian Revolution" under the rule of Constantine.

The most highly respected evidence I have found to date is this:

* The palaeographically dated NT related papyri from Egypt
* The Dura-Europos "House-Church" and Papyri fragment supposed "terminus ad quem"
* The church history of Eusebius
* The New Testament itself
* Josephus, Philo's "therapeutae", Tacitus, Pliny, Mani and other non-Christian sources references before the 4th century

None of this stuff appears to be 100% water-tight
Don't forget the magic wands
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
Leucius Charinus

perseusomega9 wrote: Don't forget the magic wands

http://wasjesusamagician.blogspot.com.a ... -wand.html
ficino

Post by ficino »

Thanks for pointing me to this, Peter.

On TedM's HJ thread I said that a glance made it appear as though there weren't material remains from c. 30-130 CE that are securely dated and securely identified as Christian. It looks as though the earliest (though I may have missed something) is an inscription from the Catacombs of Lucina/Commodilla, near San Paolo fuori le Mura. It is the epitaph of a youth, Eutychius, who died in his 19th year. There are two loaves and two fishes carved below the epitaph. The fact that the youth's praenomen, Titus, is given suggests a date before the Antonine period, when praenomina started to fall out of use. Nearby inscriptions bear consular dates of 107 and 110. Northcote and Brownlow, the authors of Roma Sotteranea, or an Account of the Roman Catacombs, p. 115, think that the praenomen puts this inscription at the end of the Flavian period, i.e. late first century - though one might deem it early second. They say it's the earliest Christian inscription. They declare that its location in the cemetary "where, less than forty years before, had been deposited the body of the Apostle Paul... may be taken as certain proofs that a catacomb was begun here not long after his martyrdom."

see link: https://archive.org/stream/romasotterra ... rch/second

I'm not sure what to make of the eponymous "patron?" of the catacomb, i.e. Lucina, since that is the name of the Roman goddess of childbirth. What little I've read suggests that early Christian burials were in cemetaries also used by pagans.

-------------------

the Oxford Handbook of Early Christian Studies

http://books.google.com/books?id=0-ovhY ... es&f=false

says that the earliest Christian inscription is on the tombstone of Eutyches. The one to which they refer is from Asia Minor and bears a date of 179/180:

http://www.thesis.bilkent.edu.tr/0002162.pdf

It's discussed by W.M. Calder, "Early-Christian Epitaphs from Phrygia," Anatolian Studies 5 (1955) 25-38: 34. The photo shows the image of the dead man holding grapes in one hand and a round object marked with a cross in the other. Calder admits that it can't be proved that this inscription is Christian. He says that although the round boss, the cross, and the grapes also appear in pagan decoration, here the round thing must be a loaf of bread, which with the grapes recalls the Eucharist. He acknowledges these are the only features by which he identifies the stele as Christian, since nothing in the inscription does so.

Roger Pearse has put up links to some collections of early Christian inscriptions:

http://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/2012 ... ae-online/

Northcote and Brownlow (vid. supra, p. 214) talk about a Christian inscription from the year 72 (or 71). This is in Inscriptiones Christianae Urbis Romae, tome 1 page 1 (accessible via Roger's link). That inscription says nothing to identify it as Christian, and I don't have the time now to work through the arguments by which the editor, Giov.-Batt. de Rossi, thinks he can show its Christian provenance. It just says, as far as I can make out:

]VC VESPASIANO III COS
]IAN
Last edited by ficino on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
ficino

Post by ficino »

I add that Calder, in the article cited above, when explaining why Christian monuments only appear in Phrygia in the late 2nd century, uses the argument that I mentioned in Ted's thread, sc. that the earliest Christians feared persecution, so they displayed no signs of their religion on materialia. These unfalsifiable claims drive me crazy.