Marcion and the Use of Diminutives With Saint Names

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Marcion and the Use of Diminutives With Saint Names

Post by Secret Alias »

I wonder if ίων is a specifically Egyptian hypocoristic suffix.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Secret Alias wrote:Apparently the name 'Luke' is a result of hypocorism:

The same is true for Saint Luke, whose name is a new coinage formed with the Greek hypocoristic suffix-άς from the the common Latin praenomen Lucius.
Good observation. I have wondered about this name, as Lucius was a 2nd generation Marcionite bishop/teacher from around the mid-2nd century. In my model of order, Luke's Gospel would be late 2nd century. I actually don't think Marcion was active after 150 AD (hints in some attested Marcionite books that we have entered a post-Marcion era). As with there being a known Theophilus of Antioch in the late 2nd century. Mark and Luke seem to be names drawn from Marcionite heroes, but used as Catholic.

Note, I conclude that DA 2.5 mention of Colossians 4:10, 11,14 was added by the compiler of DA, placed in the mouth of the Catholic champion from the Paul the author knew, which was Catholic - the arguments made by Markus and Megathius are derived from earlier Marcionite tracts using the Marcionite bible, which DA's writer does not have; this subtlety was not picked up by Clabeaux surprisingly. But they are used. I note this because the names are used precisely to support the Catholic position against the Marcionites. The names were not chosen at random it seems.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I've thought the same thing about Luke and Lucius. It's hard to know but interesting. We finally agree on something.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

We have very little in the way of personal letters from antiquity. But here is an interesting story. Consider the chapter of Socrates’ History mocking Julian’s conviction that he was the reincarnated Alexander goes on to describe the circumstances of his death, and on that score it refers to a poem by one "Callistus a soldier serving in the emperor’s bodyguard who composed an account of his achievements in epic verse" [Καλλιστος δε ο εν τοις οικειοις του βασιλεως, στρατευοµενος, ιστορησας τα κατ' αυτον εν ηρωικω µετρω]. Interestingly it is universally acknowledged that the same figure is also addressed as Καλλιστίων (Longinus Ep 1233).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Caracalla was a hypocorism taken from the name of a long hooded Gallic cloak.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Caligula = "little boot" was a hypocorism.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

On the Constantine II from Gibbon:
The baptismal name of this emperor was Heraclius; he was renamed Constantine at his coronation, — perhaps because his step-uncle Heraclius had brought discredit on the name. He is Constantine on his coins, and is so called by Nicephorus; but Theophanes calls him Constans, and he is always known as Constans II. We must infer that Constantine was his official name, but that he was popularly called Constans in a hypocoristic sense (cp. Heraclius: Heraclonas).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The case here is probably that of an “extended” root pap(p)a: father, dad; food (Lat. pāpa, pappa; children's word for food, meal, father; pappō –āre: eat), which is used in Greek (just like in Latin) as a hypocorism: πάπας πατρὸς ὑποκόρισμα18; παππίᾱς (father);19 and finally in the verb παππάζειν: daddy or dad
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Similarly the name "Papias" (of Hierapolis) is a hypocorism.
Papias clearly came from a family with deep roots in the region. That is the only possible explanation for his name, which was very common in Phrygia and the surrounding regions and it is typical of Anatolian hypocoristic nicknames.20

20 Cf. Zgusta 1964, pp. 409 f. § 1199-5. For an impressive list with 128 examples from the northern and western coasts of Asia Minor, see LGPN VA. Of course the association of the name Papias with Phrygia and the surrounding regions has long been recognized; cf. e.g. Hatch 1911, p. 83. Robert 1963, p. 348 has modied this approach, assuming that in the case of hypocoristic names like Παπια the indigenous origins

22papias%20clearly%20came%22&f=false
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Runia accepts the possibility that "Philo" might have been a hypocorism

https://books.google.com/books?id=3JyM1 ... sm&f=false