"The Simontic Problem". "Mark's" Negative Casting of Peter

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Re: "The Simontic Problem". "Mark's" Negative Casting of Pet

Post by JoeWallack »

iskander wrote:
JoeWallack wrote:JW:

Matthew 7:24

Strong's Transliteration Greek EnglishMorphology
3956 [e] Pas Πᾶς Every one Adj-NMS
3767 [e] oun οὖνtherefore, Conj
3748 [e] hostis ὅστις whoever RelPro-NMS
191 [e] akouei ἀκούει hears V-PIA-3S
1473 [e] mou μου my PPro-G1S
3588 [e] tous τοὺς - Art-AMP
3056 [e] logous λόγους words N-AMP
3778 [e] toutous τούτους these, DPro-AMP
2532 [e] kai καὶ and Conj
4160 [e] poiei ποιεῖ does V-PIA-3S
846 [e] autous αὐτούς, them, PPro-AM3P
3666 [e] homoiōthēsetai ὁμοιωθήσεται will be like V-FIP-3S
435 [e] andri ἀνδρὶ a man N-DMS
5429 [e] phronimō φρονίμῳ, wise, Adj-DMS
3748 [e] hostis ὅστις whoRelPro-NMS
3618 [e] ōkodomēsen ᾠκοδόμησεν built V-AIA-3S
846 [e] autou αὐτοῦ his PPro-GM3S
3588 [e] tēn τὴν - Art-AFS
3614 [e] oikian οἰκίαν house N-AFS
1909 [e] epi ἐπὶ upon Prep
3588 [e]tēn τὴν the Art-AFS
4073 [e] petran πέτραν. rock. N-AFS

JW:
Here's the offending word again in feminine form, in a previous story in GMatthew that explains its significance, with several matching words to the 16:18 story. What does the "rock" mean here? Someone, anyone, Bemueller?

Joseph

ErrancyWiki
Matthew 7
24 ‘Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock--(petran, noun, accusative, singular, feminine).
Rock as in Psalm 18.2
Psalm 18

2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer,
my God, my rock in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
JW:
Why look outside of 7:24 for the answer to what the "rock" of 7:24 is? Why not look inside?

Joseph

ErrancyWiki
iskander

Post by iskander »

The Bible comprise the New Testament and the Old Testament and furthermore Jesus was circumcised as Luke reports.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Bernard Muller wrote: So, if you think so, why don't you accept proto-Christianity starting in Jerusalem, certainly a part of Israel, among Hellenist Jews?

Cordially, Bernard
Because there is no evidence that was the origin of anything.

All evidence points to many centers in many places.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Bernard Muller wrote: I should have said traditional Judaism, as the one of the Sadducees.

Cordially, Bernard

There was nothing traditional about the Sadducees brand of worship.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Realty is we have a supposed crucifixion in 33CE ish and our first literary reports are those of Paul hunting in the Diaspora. NOT Galilee.

Galilee was the origin of the Aramaic movement, and it did not magically move to Jerusalem.

WHAT DID happen in Jerusalem, is the same Hellenist that got caught up in the mythology and theology in the diaspora, also got caught up in it in Jerusalem.

There was a chain of events that went down following the crucifixion. The mythology surrounding the martyrdom was found important to some Hellenist everywhere, as the mythology developed and evolved each Passover.

Passover would be the origin more so then a house in Jerusalem.

Evidence against the house would be, IF it existed as the origin it would have gathered to many people making it a target. You even admit they were a hunted sect that had to lay low.

At Passover they could gather in large crowds the same way other sects of Judaism gathered to share their own version of what they called Judaism.

Passover was a big drunken BBQ and festival where they would all party with god. People gathered together in groups, they did not attend this as individuals who went into a church and prayed quietly.

I do not think he was a teacher: how an uneducated rustic be considered a teacher.
Religious teacher passing on Johns religious knowledge. :facepalm:

the Church of Jerusalem came under "Aramaic" control, but the leaders (Peter, James, etc.) were not Christians (http://historical-jesus.info/108.html), so their influence on the development of Christian beliefs was very limited. So there was never any Christian Aramaic primacy.
So if their influence was very limited by your own words, they were not the leaders or origins of the movement. AS the movement ONLY grew in Hellenism.

Now you "might" have a leg to stand on, if the Galilean movement was a Hellenistic one where you had traditions of Jesus going to Tiberius and Sepphoris teaching in Koine. But instead we have what looks exactly like a Galilean Zealot movement for Aramaic peasants like Jesus, who were fighting the oppression of the Hellenistic overlords in Sepphoris, as well as the Hellenistic corruption in the temple, that left the majority of the Aramaic peasant population in want.
Last edited by outhouse on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... rsity.html

Bernard.

The Diversity of Early Christianity

Harold W. Attridge:
The Lillian Claus Professor of New Testament Yale Divinity School

The Book of Acts records or reports that there was a special event that took place at Pentecost, which would have been the next pilgrimage festival after the Passover at which Jesus died. And at that time the disciples of Jesus were gathered together in Jerusalem unsure of what their future would be, when all of a sudden the spirit took hold of them and enabled them to speak in tongues, and that speaking of tongues is understood by the author of the Book of Acts to mean speaking in all of the languages of the world. So with the power of the spirit behind them, the disciples of Jesus immediately began a missionary campaign and started bringing people into the fold, converting them to belief in Christ. And from that time forward the mission moved ahead in the rather smooth way, directed by the spirit and by all of the apostles who acted in concert with one another and agreement with one another. That's the picture that we get in Acts.

The historical reality is probably much more complex. The Christian movement probably began not from a single center but from many different centers where different groups of disciples of Jesus gathered and tried to make sense of what they had experienced with him and what had happened to him at the end of his public ministry. Each of those groups probably had a very different take on what the significance of Jesus was. Some of them understanding his death and the resurrection experience, if they focused on it, in terms of exaltation. Others understanding it in terms of a resuscitation of the corpse of Jesus, others not worrying very much at all about the resurrection of Jesus, but concentrating on his teaching and trying to propagate that. We can see, even in the canonical text, in the Book of Acts, that there were different groups that were in competition with one another. Those who insisted more strongly on observance of Jewish laws in the Torah competed with those who were more open to admission of gentiles without imposing the burden of the Torah on them. There were others who we meet again in the Book of Acts, who apparently stood in continuity with the activity of John the Baptist and did not know the baptism that the Pauline Christians, at least, knew. So there was much more diversity in the early stages of the Christian movement than the Book of Acts suggest....
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to outhouse,
Because there is no evidence that was the origin of anything.
Evidence exists in Acts 2:5, 9-11a, 41b (as a clue for Hellenist Jews (not companions of Jesus) making up most of the Church of Jerusalem from its very beginning: everything else in this passage is fiction). That clue is confirmed in Acts 8:1:
And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they [The "Grecians"] were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles. (the Greek dispersion)
Acts 11:19-20 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.
And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus.
Gal 1:17a Neither went I [Paul, right after his conversion] up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me;
So don't say there is no evidence. Just say you don't accept that evidence.
All evidence points to many centers in many places.
Yes, but after the Greek dispersion from Jerusalem.
Realty is we have a supposed crucifixion in 33CE ish and our first literary reports are those of Paul hunting in the Diaspora. NOT Galilee.

First, I am fairly certain the crucifixion occurred in 28 CE: http://historical-jesus.info/appa.html and http://historical-jesus.info/appb.html

No Paul was hunting somewhere else before, Jerusalem (Acts 8:1-3):
And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.
And devout men carried Stephen to his burial, and made great lamentation over him.
As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

Who said Galilee? Are you saying Jesus converted people in Galilee to Christianity? So they could be persecuted later by Paul?
Galilee was the origin of the Aramaic movement, and it did not magically move to Jerusalem.
The Aramaic movement was never Christian and there is no evidence it started in Galilee. Actually, according to Jesus' alleged prophecies, it became rather dead for a while among his own companions, but then resurfaced in Jerusalem after the Greek dispersion. How to explain the appearance of some of Jesus' brothers and disciples in Jerusalem?
My theory is those were invited to join the Hellenist proto-Christian community as permanent guests. That was done in order to bring eyewitnesses among this community for reason of legitimacy. For these Galileans, there were risks, but for pious poor Jews, living in Jerusalem near the temple, and having their basic need provided for free (sparing them from hard labor at home in Galilee) was very tempting.
So no magic had to be involved.
So if their influence was very limited by your own words, they were not the leaders or origins of the movement. AS the movement ONLY grew in Hellenism.
EXACTLY, that's what I have been saying all along. But, as you accepted before, there were some Hellenist Jews in Jerusalem then, enabling proto-Christianity to start from some of them.
When these Galileans got in control of the remnant of the church of Jerusalem after the Greek dispersion, their influence was very limited because they were not Christians. So Christianity developed in different ways at different locations because there was not a Christian center in Jerusalem. But at first, for a while, this Christian center might have been in Antioch (according to Acts). However soon after, Paul went on his own and developed with others his own brand of Christianity for Gentiles (with some success). Competitors of Paul might have done the same thing in different christological directions.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
JoeWallack

Post by JoeWallack »

JW:

Matthew 7:24

Strong's Transliteration Greek EnglishMorphology
3956 [e] Pas Πᾶς Every one Adj-NMS
3767 [e] oun οὖνtherefore, Conj
3748 [e] hostis ὅστις whoever RelPro-NMS
191 [e] akouei ἀκούει hears V-PIA-3S
1473 [e] mou μου my PPro-G1S
3588 [e] tous τοὺς - Art-AMP
3056 [e] logous λόγους words N-AMP
3778 [e] toutous τούτους these, DPro-AMP
4160 [e] poiei ποιεῖ does V-PIA-3S
846 [e] autous αὐτούς, them, PPro-AM3P
3666 [e] homoiōthēsetai ὁμοιωθήσεται will be like V-FIP-3S
435 [e] andri ἀνδρὶ a man N-DMS
5429 [e] phronimō φρονίμῳ, wise, Adj-DMS
3748 [e] hostis ὅστις whoRelPro-NMS
3618 [e] ōkodomēsen ᾠκοδόμησεν built V-AIA-3S
846 [e] autou αὐτοῦ his PPro-GM3S
3614 [e] oikian οἰκίαν house N-AFS
1909 [e] epi ἐπὶ upon Prep
3588 [e]tēn τὴν the Art-AFS
4073 [e] petran πέτραν. rock. N-AFS

JW:
Gundry points out that in this earlier explanatory teaching story from Jesus, Jesus explains that his words are the rock for the believer.

Now who was there before "Mark"/"Matthew" that claimed to present Jesus' words:

Strong's Transliteration Greek English Morphology
2531 [e] kathōs καθὼς as Adv
1125 [e] gegraptai γέγραπται it has been written, V-RIM/P-3S
3708 [e] Idou Ἰδοὺ Behold V-AMA-2S
5087 [e] tithēmi τίθημι I lay V-PIA-1S
1722 [e] en ἐν in Prep
4622 [e] Siōn Σιὼν Zion N-DFS
3037 [e] lithon λίθον a stone N-AMS
4348 [e] proskommatos προσκόμματος of stumbling, N-GNS
4073 [e] petran πέτραν a rock N-AFS
4625 [e] skandalou σκανδάλου, of offense; N-GNS
3588 [e] ho the [one] Art-NMS
4100 [e] pisteuōn πιστεύων believing V-PPA-NMS
1909 [e] ep’ ἐπ’ on Prep
846 [e] autō αὐτῷ himPPro-DM3S
3756 [e] ou οὐ never Adv
2617 [e] kataischynthēsetai καταισχυνθήσεται. will be put to shame. V-FIP-3S

JW:
Here we have two related words, "stone" (λίθον) and "rock" (πέτραν), used close together. Note that both are used as a negative contrasting example to the believer. 16:18 uses "Peter" (Πέτρος) and "rock" (πέτρᾳ) close together. As has been pointed out, the context of 16:18 indicates that literally "Peter" is used as a name but generally that exact word means "stone". Failing to mention that there is another Greek word for "stone" besides "Πέτρος" is exactly what someone with a limited knowledge of Greek would do.

So for the offending phrase here:

Strong's Transliteration Greek English Morphology
2504 [e] kagō κἀγὼ I also PPro-N1S
1161 [e] de δέ moreover Conj
4771 [e] soi σοι to you PPro-D2S
3004 [e] legō λέγω say, V-PIA-1S
3754 [e] hoti ὅτι That Conj
4771 [e] sy σὺ you PPro-N2S
1510 [e] ei εἶ are V-PIA-2S
4074 [e] Petros Πέτρος, Peter, N-NMS
1909 [e] epi ἐπὶ on Prep
3778 [e] tautē ταύτῃ this DPro-DFS
3588 [e] τῇ the Art-DFS
4073 [e] petra πέτρᾳ rock N-DFS
3618 [e] oikodomēsō οἰκοδομήσω I will build V-FIA-1S
1473 [e]mou μου my PPro-G1S
1577 [e] ekklēsian ἐκκλησίαν, church, N-AFS

JW:
How much evidence do we need to think/suspect that the conjunction "kai" in between "Peter" and "rock" should be taken as a contrast (but) between the two based on context? In general "Matthew" is clearly dissing Peter, same as his base of GMark and his theological teacher Paul. Specifically the second offending word "rock" is not presented in the second person. For those who prefer solving the problem at the source (so to speak) by exorcising the entire/most of the verse as interpolation, keep in mind that editing is like Baruch Lee's philosophy, minimum effort & maximum force (minimize editing until you reach your possible meaning so as to minimize change/notice). Gundry is owning 16:18 as original but it wouldn't take much conjectural emending here to make clear that Peter is the negative contrast, the stumbling block and rock of offense of Paul, to the positive rock of Jesus' words (as communicated by Paul of course). More to follow.

Joseph

ErrancyWiki
iskander

Post by iskander »

Petra could be translated as " stone" without altering the meaning of Matthew 7.24
Gundry points out that in this earlier explanatory teaching story from Jesus, Jesus explains that his words are the rock [stone)for the believer.

As in Is 9.10
Isaiah 9
10 ‘The bricks have fallen,
but we will build with dressed stones;
the sycomores have been cut down,
but we will put cedars in their place

Which means :
The mosaic bricks have fallen,
but we will build with redeeming stones

outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Bernard Muller wrote: Yes, but after the Greek dispersion from Jerusalem.

Cordially, Bernard

Supply credible sources please.