My thoughts on 1 Corinthians 11.23-28 (for Kunigunde).

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: My thoughts on 1 Corinthians 11.23-28 (for Kunigunde).

Post by Peter Kirby »

Ben C. Smith wrote:This new thread is the response I promised to Kunigunde: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2019&start=100#p58950. ...
Really brilliant thread! I wish I could contribute more. This forum exists to promote great discussions like this one. Thanks to Ben, Andrew, Bernard, spin, Joe, Stephan, DCH... everyone really, and (perhaps above all) Kunigunde for all these sharp observations--and for keeping us honest! :)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
robert j

Post by robert j »

I think the problems Paul encountered with his meal ritual reveal his conservative Jewish sensibilities in a clash of cultures with the fickle, rambunctious, and sophisticated Greco-Roman Corinthians.
Last edited by robert j on Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

Actually, I am a bit lost here. What are the positions of Kunigunde and Ben on that matter, I wonder.
Elsewhere I agreed (with Kunigunde) that Paul may very well be the source for the eucharistic body-and-blood symbolism (as found in 1 Corinthians 10.16), layering it over what was originally something similar to what we find in the Didache.
I agree with that. That certainly must have inspired "Mark" for hist last supper.
But how to explain the change of the sequence:
First, I do not think 1 Cor 10:16 is indicating a particular sequence to follow.
Second, "Mark" preferred, for his Gentile audience, what was practiced by pagan Gentiles, as explained by Crossan:
"... a two part sequence of eating and drinking, of breaking bread and pouring a libation before drinking wine, or more simply, of bread and wine, summarizes and symbolizes the whole process of a Greco-Roman formal meal"
John Dominic Crossan, The Historical Jesus, the life of a Mediterranean Jewish peasant. Pages 361-367 "Do This in Memory of Me"

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote:Actually, I am a bit lost here. What are the positions of Kunigunde and Ben on that matter, I wonder.
I think that 1 Corinthians 11.23-28 is an interpolation into a context which originally lacked it. Kunigunde thinks (still, I imagine) that 1 Corinthians 11.23-28 is part of the original (con)text. Or did you mean something more specific?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ