On the Marcionite hate against the Jewish God

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: On the Marcionite hate against the Jewish God

Post by Secret Alias »

Please read this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-hating_Jew
Bernie Sanders, one of the Democratic candidates running for US Presidential elections in 2016, has repeatedly been criticized of being a "self-hating Jew".[36][37] His brother, Larry Sanders, told the Times of Israel that this was because his brother disagreed with Benjamin Netanyahu's foreign policy. "Bernard is not a self-hating Jew. There was never a moment in our life when we had any reason to be self-hating. The fact that he does not agree with Netanyahu on politics does not make him a self-hating Jew."
Again the bottom line is - how do people who know little or nothing about undercurrents in modern and ancient Jewish culture come to opinions about these things? :banghead:
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

And my own opinions about 'modern Judaism' versus 'Catholic Christianity' may serve as a useful example in this understanding. How does a Jew read the theophany on Sinai? The way that Akiba instructed the community to read the text i.e. that the voice in heaven was one and the same with the man standing in fire on the mountain (and that time and space bent so that effectively the top of the mountain was heaven). This is obviously stupid.

The 'Catholic Christians' of course don't even read the Bible so they haven't a clue what to say. But their ancestors preserved the original Jewish understanding i.e. that the subordinate god was seen on the mountain while the Supreme 'All Good' God was heard from heaven.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Secret Alias wrote:I understand that you are mentally retarded and empathize/sympathize with how difficult this must be. But don't you see a qualitative difference in the anti-Jewish hostility between the pagan writers and what you have managed to uncover with respect to Marcion? For God's sake, you just have some modern writer basically fumbling in the dark (as we all are). In short - you can't find evidence of Marcionite 'hatred' of the 'Jewish god' or the Jews whereas I can find dozens of statements and proofs that the Marcionites must have stood relatively close to the two powers tradition that existed within Judaism. I don't say this to try to convince you to see beyond your own mental retardation. You can't possibly. It is like a blind person getting beyond his blindness. I say this for some who might be affected by your repetition of typical nonsense written about the Marcionites.
Stephen, take your lithium. You know you're angry when you don;t eat or take your meds.

Fundamentally you have the entire equation of heretical thought on God backwards. You have accepted, much as Harnack did, that the Heretics, Marcionites included, worship some different God. But this is not the case.

An easier explanation, which greatly reduces the distance between the proto-orthodox and the heretical views is to understand the difference as that of the properties ascribed to the High God, the Perfect God, the True God, the Father of Christ. The all worshiped that God, and accepted him as the father of Christ. Where they split was on the ascription of "secondary" properties upon him. Did he organize matter or was that done by a one of his high angels? Did he write/inspire the Jewish scriptures, or was that one of his High angels?

The properties of Christ, whether the Apellean borrowing of elements to form substance as he descends through the various heavens (or prior even having substance), or the seed is passed by way of Holy Ghost through a virgin, or whether naturally born, are secondary. They are necessary to explain the (every changing) accepted texts and maintain the positions (albeit bastardized by polemics and stretched to absurdity) they held regarding the nature of God.

It is very easy to explain each position as sequentially within Christianity without appeal to Jewish origins. (Which is not to say there are not any.) There is no need for some obscure Jewish debate to explain the development. No need for mistranslated words from some eastern language.

But this concept that a new God was introduced is the story line we have all had wrong for centuries. Perhaps by the late 4th or 5th century that was the common opinion, but that is a backward projection, accepting the polemics of the Church fathers as accurate about the origins of the theological development of their rival sects.

The two power tradition is very likely a parallel development. It's unlikely Christianity grew out of two competing traditions in place. It is far more likely it developed from a single tradition family.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Stephen, take your lithium. You know you're angry when you don;t eat or take your meds.
Not eating definitely has side-effects on my personality but Giuseppe's posting an even greater effect.
Fundamentally you have the entire equation of heretical thought on God backwards.
Odd that Two Powers makes specific reference to the parallels between Tertullian's attack against AND Tertullian's reporting about the Marcionites and the rabbanites reports about the two powers traditions. I would think that you would need to spent more time disproving that assertion. But of course you'd actually have to read something outside of your wheel house. But that's another story ...
You have accepted, much as Harnack did, that the Heretics, Marcionites included, worship some different God.

Nein, nein, nein. Tausend mal nein.
But this is not the case.
As I said I wish you spend some of your efforts trying to DISPROVE Segal's equation and subsequent work. But as you said I have to eat. Malay noodles with my son. The best afternoon any dad could hope for.
Blood

Post by Blood »

Giuseppe wrote:The first anti-Semite to invoke a blood libel :
Every seven years the Jews captured a stranger, brought him to the temple in Jerusalem, and sacrificed him, cutting his flesh into bits.
Democritus of Thrace, Maxims (460-370 BCE)
That's a very interesting quote, one I hadn't heard before. It isn't cited by Josephus in Contra Apion, which is surprising, and makes me wonder about its authenticity.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Blood

Post by Blood »

Giuseppe wrote: If the 'archon of this world' is a sublunar archon:
The time for judging this world has come, when Satan, the archon of this world, will be cast out.
(John 12:31)
John 12:31 does not mention "Satan" at all -- where are you getting that???

ὁ ἄρχων τοῦ κόσμου [Nestle-Aland]

"the archon of the kosmou"

Ialdabatoth ("the begetter of Sabaoth") is the archon of this cosmos in Gnostic theology. The Satan is insignificant, only appearing in one Nag Hammadi text -- Allogenes.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Back from my lunch of hokkein me noodles - I suspect the 'noodles' is superfluous because the normal (Hong Kong) pronunciation of the vermicelli dish mei fun ('bei hun' in Singapore oddly enough) - and soccer training. Back to Stuart's argumentation:
An easier explanation, which greatly reduces the distance between the proto-orthodox and the heretical views is to understand the difference as that of the properties ascribed to the High God, the Perfect God, the True God, the Father of Christ. The[y] all worshiped that God, and accepted him as the father of Christ. Where they split was on the ascription of "secondary" properties upon him. Did he organize matter or was that done by a one of his high angels? Did he write/inspire the Jewish scriptures, or was that one of his High angels?

The properties of Christ, whether the Apellean borrowing of elements to form substance as he descends through the various heavens (or prior even having substance), or the seed is passed by way of Holy Ghost through a virgin, or whether naturally born, are secondary. They are necessary to explain the (every changing) accepted texts and maintain the positions (albeit bastardized by polemics and stretched to absurdity) they held regarding the nature of God.

It is very easy to explain each position as sequentially within Christianity without appeal to Jewish origins. (Which is not to say there are not any.) There is no need for some obscure Jewish debate to explain the development. No need for mistranslated words from some eastern language.
But what's wrong with appealing to Jewish influence given that you rope into the discussion the 'orthodox' Christians too? Surely they thought their religion was 'Jewish' in some sense. Why else would Origen and Jerome and the like learn what Jews think/interpret?

I hesitate to bring up the term 'anti-Semitism' but the pathological resistance to the Jewish origins for Christianity as a whole WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO INCORPORATE ORTHODOX INTO THE DISCUSSION (you wrote you were trying earlier to "greatly reduce the distance between the proto-orthodox and the heretical views") seems only to routed in some sort of personal dislike for things Jewish.

That's cool I guess. I am not trying to 'race bait' you. I just don't get what this is a better explanation that the origins of Christianity from the two powers tradition and the literal reading of the original Exodus narrative (found at Qumran, the Samaritan Pentateuch and the circle of R Ishmael) and the earliest exegesis of the Book of Exodus among the Jews (mekhilta) and the Samaritans (Marqe). Where do we have better evidence than this? You seem to be seeing your imagination is preferable. :whistling:
But this concept that a new God was introduced is the story line we have all had wrong for centuries. Perhaps by the late 4th or 5th century that was the common opinion, but that is a backward projection, accepting the polemics of the Church fathers as accurate about the origins of the theological development of their rival sects.

The two power tradition is very likely a parallel development. It's unlikely Christianity grew out of two competing traditions in place. It is far more likely it developed from a single tradition family.
Why? So the Church Fathers and early Christian art depicts Jesus standing in the fire talking to Moses and on Sinai and the two powers tradition thought the same thing but they are better viewed as 'separate traditions' given the fact that anti-Semites don't want any Jewish influence in Christianity? Stupid.
Last edited by Secret Alias on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

And Justin's discussions which absolutely parallel the two powers material are also 'coincidence'? So too the Marcionites identifying Jesus as a 'man of war' (Exodus 15:3) again coincidence? I will stop here because I don't want to drag my ish/anashim parallels from the Pentateuch and Jesus 'sightings' from the Church Fathers but I have I think demonstrated the parallels are uncanny already.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Blood wrote:
Giuseppe wrote:The first anti-Semite to invoke a blood libel :
Every seven years the Jews captured a stranger, brought him to the temple in Jerusalem, and sacrificed him, cutting his flesh into bits.
Democritus of Thrace, Maxims (460-370 BCE)
That's a very interesting quote, one I hadn't heard before. It isn't cited by Josephus in Contra Apion, which is surprising, and makes me wonder about its authenticity.
Democritus may or may not have said something or other, but this quote is fake. Its date belongs to the 20th century. Some people* have (more responsibly but ambiguously) quoted Joshua Trachtenberg's book (The Devil and the Jews: The Medieval Conception of the Jew and Its Relation to Modern Antisemitism, p. 126). From there someone has cast it into direct speech and assigned it to the Maxims.

This is the reference (footnote 8):
Reinach, Nos. 60, 61, p. 121; Josephus, Against Apion, II, 8.
* Here's an example that is ripe for misunderstanding: http://assets.cambridge.org/97811070/40 ... xcerpt.pdf
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Stuart,

I don't think you are aware of Segal's point that the Church Fathers and the Jews who battle over the 'two powers' tend to use the same proof texts - https://books.google.com/books?id=TSnyL ... 22&f=false Hard to explain that if they are unrelated historical traditions.