Price/Ehrman - Did Jesus Exist? Debate - Oct. 21, 2016

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
maryhelena

Re: Price/Ehrman - Did Jesus Exist? Debate - Oct. 21, 2016

Post by maryhelena »

I've just listened to the opening speech by Robert Price. I do have difficulty following his style of delivery. In this case he seems to have just read from his manuscript. If one was not well read re mythicist literature I doubt if one would easily have followed Price's arguments. Ehrman presented his arguments in a logical manner. Price, to me, was fuzzy in his presentation of his argument. Well.... I never became an ahistoricst/mythicist by reading Doherty or Carrier....so perhaps the arguments that Price strove to deliver were always going to be fuzzy to me.... ;)
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Prof James McGrath has a couple of links to podcasts where he, Prof James Crossley, David Fitzgerald and others discuss the Ehrman-Price debate:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/religionpr ... ebate.html
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Blood

Post by Blood »

GakuseiDon wrote:2 hrs 40 mins in -- Ehrman asks a key question: What early texts/beliefs makes a crucifixion of a Jesus in outer space probable?
I was confused about that. I thought that was a Doherty/Carrier idea, not Price's. Yet he didn't dispute it, nor clearly explain that the theory is that the crucifixion in the outer heavens was later historicized to have happened on earth.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

maryhelena wrote:
Arguing over what Paul meant when he wrote so and so - is pointless.
Mostly. The issue of which James is being referred to in Gal 1:19 is still an issue, and one the likes of Ehrman can be challenged on. As can the meaning of 'Lord', considering it is a term also used, in both the OT & NT, to address otherwise nebulous angels.
maryhelena wrote: I can't see the mythicists winning the JC debate by relying on the writings of Paul. Paul, as I have sometimes said, is the last hurdle to cross in the JC debate. There is no point arguing over his words when his historicity cannot be established. That is where mythicists have to go - Brodie has done the spadework - what mythicist has enough fire in the belly to take Paul down..... :)
Price has attempted to do that, in The Amazing Colossal Apostle but, because his work is not widely engaged with by the majority (or at least not acknowledged), his propositions and arguments have not gained traction.
Last edited by MrMacSon on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Blood wrote:
GakuseiDon wrote:2 hrs 40 mins in -- Ehrman asks a key question: What early texts/beliefs makes a crucifixion of a Jesus in outer space probable?
I was confused about that. I thought that was a Doherty/Carrier idea, not Price's. Yet he didn't dispute it, nor clearly explain that the theory is that the crucifixion in the outer heavens was later historicized to have happened on earth.
I think Price is not a combative person, perhaps because he has developed a chatty style on his Bible-Geek show, as much as because of his seemingly congenial personality. I think Price was slightly taken aback by Ehrman's bombast at the start of the questions segment (in which Ehrman hectored when he should have been asking questions).
toejam

Post by toejam »

Price had difficulty showing why his case was more probable than the idea of a stock historical Jesus. When he was pressed on this, he just fell back on "well, it's all just speculation and I'm happy to admit that I'm speculating". Ehrman's case, on the other hand, just came across much more simple and straight forward.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

It appears that the YouTube video has already been pulled.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

From another thread -
neilgodfrey wrote:Notes on Bart Ehrman's polemical, condescending and dogmatic presentation that avoids engagement with mythicist arguments and repeats some of the more vacuous nonsense of Did Jesus Exist?: The Ehrman-Price Debate: Ehrman’s Opening Address

Notes on Bob Price's well prepared presentation grounded in a close reading of the scholarship and that engages with the arguments in Did Jesus Exist? with a scholarly respect, humility and good humour: Ehrman-Price Debate #2: Price’s Opening Address

(Which debater do you think I think actually earned the money paid for his appearance?)
http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... 295#p60295