Papias, Quadratus, Eusebius, and Philip Sidetes.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Papias, Quadratus, Eusebius, and Philip Sidetes.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

gmx wrote:
gmx wrote:I think it is important to note, and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, that Eusebius' chronology appears to date Papias to the late first century, not the early-mid 2nd century, and secondly, the often-repeated late dating of Papias has been challenged on the basis of confusion over the names Papylas & Papias. Any dating of Papias to the mid-100s should be accompanied with a fairly indulgent caveat.
Until corrected on the matter, I will assume that gmx meant Quadratus, not Papylas (ETA: see below for correction to this).

This is what is at stake. The most direct way to date Papias is through a datum attributed to him by Philip of Side:

Papias, bishop of Heirapolis, who was earwitness of the theologian John, and companion of Polycarp, wrote five volumes of the lordly oracles, in which, making an enumeration of the apostles, after Peter and John, Philip and Thomas and Matthew, to the disciples of the Lord he wrote up Aristion and another John, whom he also called elder, so that some suppose that of {this} John are the two short and catholic epistles which are extant from the name of John, because the ancients classified the first alone. And some who are deceived consider the revelation to be of this man. But Papias too was mistaken about the millennial years, and from him also Irenaeus.

Papias in the second volume says that John the theologian and James his brother were done away with by Jews. The aforesaid Papias reported as having received it from the daughters of Philip that Barsabas who is Justus, tested by the unbelievers, drank the venom of a viper in the name of the Christ and was protected unharmed. He also reports other wonders and especially that about the mother of Manaemus, her resurrection from the dead. Concerning those resurrected by Christ from the dead, that they lived until Hadrian.

If Papias wrote that those resurrected by Christ lived until Hadrian, it would imply that Papias wrote either during or after the reign of Hadrian, who was emperor from 117 to 138. However, Eusebius writes as follows about a certain Quadratus in History of the Church 4.3.1-3:

1 And, when Trajan had ruled for twenty whole years minus six months, Aelius Hadrian succeeded to leadership. To him Quadratus addressed and gave a treatise, having composed an apology on behalf of our religion, since indeed some evil men were trying to trouble our own. And it is still extant among many of the brethren, and the writing is also with us, from which can be seen shining proof both of the understanding of the man and of his apostolic orthodoxy.

2 And he himself makes apparent his own antiquity through these things that he records in his own words: But the works of our savior were always present, for they were true. Those who were healed, those who rose from the dead, who not only looked as though healed and risen, but also were always present, not only while the savior was sojourning but even after he left, were around for enough time so as that some of them stayed even unto our own times.

3 Such was this man. And Aristides also, a faithful man and devoted to our religion, has left behind just as Quadratus an apology on behalf of the faith addressed to Hadrian. The writing of this man too is preserved hither by very many.

So Quadratus apparently lived in the times of Hadrian, and wrote that those resurrected and healed by Jesus remained until his own times. Did both Papias and Quadratus pen this same claim? Or has Philip of Side confused Papias with Quadratus? He depends on Eusebius for many data, and it is quite possible that he has, perhaps working from faulty notes, confused Quadratus with Papias. Gundry writes in his Commentary on Mark:

The only hard evidence favoring a late date consists in a statement by Philip of Side, who makes Papias refer to the reign of Hadrian (117-138; see the citation in Aland’s Synopsis 531). But we have good reasons to distrust Philip’s statement. he is notoriously unreliable and wrote appoximately a century later than Eusebius did (Philip — ca. 430; Eusebius — ca. 324). Comparison of Philip’s statement with Eusebius’s favors that Philip depended on Eusebius but garbled the information he got. Eusebius mentions a Christian writer named Quadratus, who addressed an apology to Hadrian, the very emperor during whose reign Philip puts Papias’s writings. The claim of Quadratus that some of the people whom Jesus healed and raised from the dead have lived up to his own day sounds something like the claim of Papias to have gotten information about the Lord’s commands "from the living and abiding voice" of the elders and other disciples of the Lord (see Eus. H.E. 3.39.1-4 with 4.3.1-2). More strikingly, however, when Philip quotes Papias, the phraseology sounds more like Eusebius’s quotations of Quadratus than of Papias; in other words, it looks as though Philip transferred what Quadratus wrote over to Papias. Thus, just as Eusebius associates Quadratus with Hadrian’s reign and quotes Quadratus as referring to people raised from the dead by Jesus and still living, so Philip associates Papias with Hadrian’s reign and writes that Papias referred to people raised from the dead by Jesus and still living. Furthermore, there appears to have been another Quadratus, who was a prophet, not an apologist. Eusebius discusses him in association with Jesus’ original disciples and their immediate successors (H.E. 3.37.1). Philip probably confuses Quadratus the apologist with Quadratus the prophet. It was easy for him to do so, because he found Eusebius’s similar discussion of Papias bounded by references to the name "Quadratus." A final cause of Philip’s confusing Papias’s writings with an apology by a Quadratus is Eusebius’s associating this Quadratus with the daughters of Philip the evangelist (H.E. 3.37.1) just as Eusebius also associates Papias with them (H.E. 3.39.9). Poor Philip fell into a trap.

I am not saying that we ought to ignore Philip of Side's note, since he appears to know more of Papias than what he found in Eusebius (based on his statement that Papias recorded information about the deaths of James and John), and thus may have gotten the datum about Hadrian and those resurrected by Jesus directly from Papias. Nor am I saying that we ought to rush headlong to accept Eusebius' apparent dating of Papias to very, very early in century II. But these observations concerning Papias and Quadratus do cast serious doubt on the use of Philip's statement to date the former, on the grounds that he may have confused him with the latter.

Ben.

ETA: I figured out the reference to Papylas: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2696&start=30#p60056.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
FransJVermeiren

Re: Papias, Quadratus, Eusebius, and Philip Sidetes.

Post by FransJVermeiren »

Who’s afraid of Papias of Hierapolis?

I think both Robert H. Gundry and Ben C. Smith are.

Grundy’s quote above is nothing but a chain of imputations. ‘Distrust’, ‘notoriously unreliable’, ‘garbled’, ‘sounds something like’, ‘phraseology sounds more like…’, ‘probably confuses’, ‘poor Philip fell into a trap’. Who is trying to trap whom? And to crown it all Grundy without any explanation stages a second Quadratus, just to discredit the important Quadratus fragment as well.

Ben C. Smith quotes Grundy with approval, ‘to cast serious doubt’ (his words) not only on Philip of Side but also, with Grundy’s help, on Quadratus. The choice of Grundy as his companion speaks volumes.

Without better arguments than Grundy’s, Quadratus and Philip of Side (discussing Papias) remain two independent sources that people saved by Jesus were still alive around 125-130 CE. Even when we suppose that some of those saved by Jesus were quite young around 30 CE, let’s say 15 years old … (This is not a difficult calculation.) Understandably this is quite unpleasant information for anyone who adheres to the traditional chronology of the origins of Christianity.
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

FransJVermeiren wrote:Who’s afraid of Papias of Hierapolis?

I think both Robert H. Gundry and Ben C. Smith are.
I cannot speak for Gundry, but no fear here. :)
Grundy’s quote....
Gundry's....
...above is nothing but a chain of imputations. ‘Distrust’, ‘notoriously unreliable’, ‘garbled’, ‘sounds something like’, ‘phraseology sounds more like…’, ‘probably confuses’, ‘poor Philip fell into a trap’. Who is trying to trap whom? And to crown it all Grundy without any explanation stages a second Quadratus, just to discredit the important Quadratus fragment as well.
You misunderstand. First, the possible confusion between Quadratus and Papias does not depend upon any confusion between two men named Quadratus. Second, regarding these two men as separate individuals is pretty common; it is also common enough to regard them as the same; that Gundry appears to belong to the former category does not necessarily say anything about his motives.

And, for the record, I am not sure how supposing the men are separate would tend to discredit either of them. What are your thoughts here?
Ben C. Smith quotes Grundy with approval, ‘to cast serious doubt’ (his words) not only on Philip of Side but also, with Grundy’s help, on Quadratus. The choice of Grundy as his companion speaks volumes.
What does "companion" mean here? And what are these volumes being spoken? Are they the same volumes being spoken when I quote, say, Robert M. Price or G. A. Wells or Paul-Louis Couchoud with some degree of approval? Or are they different?
Without better arguments than Grundy’s, Quadratus and Philip of Side (discussing Papias) remain two independent sources that people saved by Jesus were still alive around 125-130 CE.
You may be right. But I advise caution. Such confusions are pretty common with the fathers. It is our job to try to track them down. You will never make me feel guilty for attempting to perform that job.
Even when we suppose that some of those saved by Jesus were quite young around 30 CE, let’s say 15 years old … (This is not a difficult calculation.) Understandably this is quite unpleasant information for anyone who adheres to the traditional chronology of the origins of Christianity.
I cannot express in words how little I care about justifying the traditional chronology. I am very interested in exploring others: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1660. I found Lena Einhorn's notion of a time shift interesting, as well.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

FransJVermeiren wrote:
... Quadratus and Philip of Side (discussing Papias) remain two independent sources that people saved by Jesus were still alive around 125-130 CE. Even when we suppose that some of those saved by Jesus were quite young around 30 CE, let’s say 15 years old … (This is not a difficult calculation.) Understandably this is quite unpleasant information for anyone who adheres to the traditional chronology of the origins of Christianity.
I don't understand this Frans. What do you mean by "people saved by Jesus were still alive around 125-130 CE."?

Are you referring to people saved by a 'Jesus' in the first Roman-Jewish war, such as Jesus ben Saphat?

If so, what's the significance of "those saved by Jesus were quite young around 30 CE, let’s say 15 years old"?

Or are you implying people 15 yrs old in 30 CE could "still be alive around 125-130 CE" ??
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

There seem to be quite a few scenarios where early church history comes to us primarily through Eusebius, is further elaborated by someone later, and involves 1st century characters like Papias, or events, etc, that are either not witnessed by anyone between those times and Eusebius, or are told about in a different way by people between those times and Eusebius. I wonder if people like Papias, or Ignatius, etc. are sock-puppets to give the impression of more substance to claims for early-Christianity than there were ie. re-writing history or even writing 'history'.

The 2nd Jewish Revolt of ~130 AD/CE has, as Isaac W. Oliver (aka de Oliveira) noted, been increasingly seen as the “parting of the ways” between Judaism and Christianity. Oliver cited James Dunn's words on this issue as being "well known by now among scholars of early Christianity and Judaism" -

The period between the two Jewish revolts (66–70 and 132–135) was decisive for the parting of the ways. After the first revolt it could be said that all was still to play for*. But after the second revolt the separation of the main bodies of Christianity and Judaism was clear-cut and final, whatever interaction there continued to be at the margins. (2006, 312)

Dunn, J.D.G. (2006) The Partings of the Ways between Christianity & Judaism and Their Significance for the Character of Christianity. London: SCM

* wtf does "all was still to play for" mean ??!
I also think this is also an attempt at re-writing history or writing history. I think it's a tacit admission there is no real Christian history [edited] between the 1st and 2nd Jewish Revolts, particularly other than Eusebius' and later-writers' references to the 2nd Revolt or the times of Hadrian, and that what is perceived to be '1st century Christian history' is very scant (other than the pervading view the epistles and key gospels were written mid 1st century about the well-known Christian stories set in the early 1st century).

Other than the view the NT stories were established in the mid 1st century, the first clear signs of the establishment of Christianity arise in the 2nd century.

All we see before then are things like list of bishops by Eusebius, or things like
  • " those resurrected by Christ from the dead, that they lived until Hadrian" (via Philip of Side in the 4th c.)
or
  • "..it is still extant among many of the brethren, and the writing is also with us, from which can be seen shining proof both of the understanding of the man and of his apostolic orthodoxy.

"2 And he himself makes apparent his own antiquity through these things that he records in his own words: But the works of our savior 'were always present', for they 'were true'. Those who were healed, those who rose from the dead, who not only looked as though healed and risen, but also were 'always present', not only while the savior was sojourning but even after he left, were around for enough time so as that some of them stayed even unto our own times." - Eusebius, History of the Church 4.3.1-3
I think it's noteworthy that a key Christian doctrine - martyrdom - involves a significant reference to the time of Hadrian and the 2nd Jewish Revolt by the person the epynom is derived from, and that person, Justin Martyr, co-opted Bar Kohkba into the doctrine -

As Isaac W. Oliver (aka de Oliveira) has noted
In his First Apology, Justin Martyr asserts that Bar Kokhba commanded that only Christians should suffer persecution unless they would deny Jesus Christ and utter blasphemy (1 Apol. 31.6):
  • “For in the Jewish war which now occurred, Bar Kokhba, the leader of the revolt of the Jews, ordered that Christians alone should be led to terrible punishments unless they would deny Jesus, the Christ, and blaspheme.”
... indicative of how rapidly the image of the Jewish warrior became wrapped in a messianic aura ...

Justin’s declaration that Christians alone were persecuted by Bar Kokhba should lead us to question the authenticity of such a statement as well as the ideological motivations that may be lurking behind it ...

https://www.academia.edu/2123957/Jewish ... an_Sources
FransJVermeiren

Post by FransJVermeiren »

MrMacSon wrote:
FransJVermeiren wrote:
... Quadratus and Philip of Side (discussing Papias) remain two independent sources that people saved by Jesus were still alive around 125-130 CE. Even when we suppose that some of those saved by Jesus were quite young around 30 CE, let’s say 15 years old … (This is not a difficult calculation.) Understandably this is quite unpleasant information for anyone who adheres to the traditional chronology of the origins of Christianity.
I don't understand this Frans. What do you mean by "people saved by Jesus were still alive around 125-130 CE."?

Are you referring to people saved by a 'Jesus' in the first Roman-Jewish war, such as Jesus ben Saphat?

If so, what's the significance of "those saved by Jesus were quite young around 30 CE, let’s say 15 years old"?

Or are you implying people 15 yrs old in 30 CE could "still be alive around 125-130 CE" ??
The Quadratus fragment speaks of ‘some’ (τινες) who survived until the reign of Hadrian, not of one single extreme case of longevity. I don’t think a group of survivors, not even a small one, survived until they were 110 or 115 years old.

Let me try to clarify with a table, for which I used the following points of departure:
1. For the age at the time of the events I took people between 15 to 30 years old, per 5 years.
2. For ‘still alive under Hadrian’ I took 125 CE because then Quadratus wrote his apology.
3. For the traditional chronology I arbitrarily chose 30 CE for ease of use and clarity (traditional = 30 CE, Einhorn's = 50 CE, mine = 70 CE)

] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
Year
of birth
Alive
until
Age in
125 CE
(years)
Plausi-
bility
Age at time of
events in 30 CE
(years)
Traditional
chronology
1515 CE 125 CE 110 nil
2010 CE 125 CE 115 nil
255 CE 125 CE 120 nil
301 BCE 125 CE 125 nil
Age at time of
events in 50 CE
(years)
Lena Einhorn
1535 CE 125 CE 90 (+)
2030 CE 125 CE 95 nil
2525 CE 125 CE 100 nil
3020 CE 125 CE 105 nil
Age at time of
events in 70 CE
(years)
Frans Vermeiren
1555 CE 125 CE 70 ++++
2050 CE 125 CE 75 +++
2545 CE 125 CE 80 ++
3040 CE 125 CE 85 +

The plausibility is solely based on the age. If the result of a study of holocaust survivors can be extrapolated to survivors of the siege of Jerusalem, the plausibility for the older groups might be a little bit bigger. See http://www.timesofisrael.com/surviving- ... udy-finds/

In my opinion it is totally implausible that people who survived until the reign of Hadrian were born in the first two decades of the first century CE. The situation is hardly better for Lena Einhorn's theory. I believe that the Quadratus fragment is a strong argument in favor of my chronological theory.
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.