Apocalyptic expectations encouraged a prior Savior Sacrifice

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rakovsky

Re: Apocalyptic expectations encouraged a prior Savior Sacri

Post by rakovsky »

TedM wrote:I posted similar thoughts on the thread about Paul believing Jesus had come as a human being sometime in the past, but decided this perhaps should have its own thread.

The idea is simple. There were two beliefs around the turn of the century 2000 years ago re the Messianic passages of writings considered to be scripture:

First, that some kind of Suffering Servant would come to save the the nation from its sins, based greatly on a liberal interpretation of Isaiah 53, and other passages in Isaiah, and some other places.

Second, that the new Kingdom of God was at hand, which would include the judgement of mankind.

The expectation of the coming Judgement allowed for the creative idea that the Suffering Servant had already come to earth and suffered for the people. It wouldn't make sense to judge and condemn and THEN save, would it? No - Save first, then Judge. But also, this Savior was prophesied to be unrecognized as such: Isaiah 53:1
Who has believed our message? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed .. 3. He was despised and forsaken of men
So, if you were Jewish and had concluded that the end judgement was near, then if you also bought into expectation of a Savior Messiah along the lines of a Suffering Servant, then you would be inclined to consider as legitimate the idea that the Savior had already come but that nobody to date had recognized that fact. This IMO increases the likelihood of accepting that a recent crucified man - Jesus - was that Savior, as well as the likelihood of accepting the idea that the Savior had come sometime in the past - details which were revealed through the study of Messianic passages in the OT and other accepted works at the time.

We tend to think in terms of the orthodox view: First a Savior, and only then start thinking about the end of the world. That sequence makes the stakes much higher for believing that a Savior had come or that any given person was that Savior since the requirements would be put on the actions of that Savior. But Jews 2000 years ago were ALREADY thinking about the end of the world being near while trying to make that jive with a whole jumble of Messianic or possibly Messianic passages, so any theory/idea that the Savior had already come would be ripe for acceptance, and with a lower bar for the level of proof normally required. And if their scriptures seemed to say in some places that he already came ('he was despised and forsaken of men'), that may have been all that was needed for some to believe it.

Perhaps not so coincidentally - This is Paul's Jesus: He came in the past, was unrecognized by the world, very little was known about him beyond what was prophesied, he brought salvation to those who believe in his act of salvation, and he will very soon come again to usher in Judgement.
Ted, if you check Paul's writing on Melchisedek meeting Abraham, it sounds like he thought Melchi Zedek , righteous King, was a cryptic reference to Jesus before the incarnation. The NT teaches Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, so he could appear earlier in history. In fact, God several times appears to people in the OT and Paul thinks Jesus was God.

But the only death known or suggested in the NT about Jesus is the one in the first c. AD.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
robert j

Post by robert j »

rakovsky wrote: ... Paul thinks Jesus was God.
I don’t want to get bogged down in semantics. Could one make a reasonable argument that Paul thought of Jesus as a god, of sorts, as consisting of equal substance as God the father? --- Of course (Philippians 2:6).

But in the 7 letters generally considered to be by him, Paul consistently refers to two separate heavenly entities --- God the father --- and the son of that God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

The arguments I have seen for Paul’s Jesus as God consist of overly-extended rhetorical gymnastics, typically of an apologetic nature.

The closest one comes to a unity is found in chapter 15 of 1 Corinthians. There ---
… But each in his own order … those of Christ at His coming, then the end, when He shall hand over the kingdom to the God and Father … when all things shall have been put in subjection to Him, then also the Son Himself will be put in subjection to the One having put in subjection all things to Him, so that God may be all in all. (1 Corinthians 15:23-28).

In Paul’s system, that was in the future --- it had not happened yet.

And almost 2,000 years later, it still hasn’t happened.
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

robert j wrote:
I don’t want to get bogged down in semantics. Could one make a reasonable argument that Paul thought of Jesus as a god, of sorts, as consisting of equal substance as God the father? --- Of course (Philippians 2:6).

But in the 7 letters generally considered to be by him, Paul consistently refers to two separate heavenly entities --- God the father --- and the son of that God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

The arguments I have seen for Paul’s Jesus as God consist of overly-extended rhetorical gymnastics, typically of an apologetic nature.

Romans 9 says:
"Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised!"

And then you have the repeated references to Jesus as Lord, ie Adonai, the common label for God. Plus the cases in the NT where people bow to Jesus or pray to him, and there is Thomas saying "My Lord and My God."

I think what often happens is that the Trinitarian claim is so mind blowing and incredible to people that their default expectation reading the NT is that it nowhere actually teaches such a strange idea.

Personally I think that this idea was also mind blowing and strange to alot of potential audiences, so the NT writers sometimes made this teaching more cryptic, just like the virgin birth story, which is another one people would tend to be skeptical about.

Going and proclaiming that a man from Nazareth is God and got born of a Virgin is a lot harder sell than saying Messiah came and got killed by the bad guys and is in heaven now.

In the early centuries they had people go through a catechumente where they got taught this stuff.

It's kind of like the Secret Mark controversy where there is a secret gospel, except I do think Secret Mark is a modern fraud.

Peace.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
robert j

Post by robert j »

rakovsky wrote:Romans 9 says:
"Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised!
The problems with your translation here of Romans 9:5 have been addressed in another contemporaneous thread --- I don't feel the need to add to the objections raised there, starting with this post ---

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1578&start=10#p62844

Using a questionable translation of Romans 9:5 as evidence that Paul thought Jesus was God does not even qualify as a fart-in-the-wind in light of the great many passages where Paul refers to two separate heavenly entities --- God the father --- and the son of that God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

And relying on later texts --- even "Pauline" ones like the Deutero-Paulines and the Pastorals (as you have done elsewhere) to interpret the 5 letters that Paul wrote to his communities, or Romans --- can be a fool's errand. Pauline thought evolved. (ETA: Certainly some later texts can be useful in understanding how later authors interpreted Paul --- but these later texts do not necessarily represent Paul's intent.)

rakovsky wrote:And then you have the repeated references to Jesus as Lord, ie Adonai, the common label for God. Plus the cases in the NT where people bow to Jesus or pray to him, and there is Thomas saying "My Lord and My God."

I think what often happens is that the Trinitarian claim is so mind blowing and incredible to people that their default expectation reading the NT is that it nowhere actually teaches such a strange idea.

Personally I think that this idea was also mind blowing and strange to alot of potential audiences, so the NT writers sometimes made this teaching more cryptic, just like the virgin birth story, which is another one people would tend to be skeptical about.

Going and proclaiming that a man from Nazareth is God and got born of a Virgin is a lot harder sell than saying Messiah came and got killed by the bad guys and is in heaven now.

In the early centuries they had people go through a catechumente where they got taught this stuff.

It's kind of like the Secret Mark controversy where there is a secret gospel, except I do think Secret Mark is a modern fraud.

Peace.
The rest of your religious dogma here is not dispositive --- it's just the kind of "argument" that leads me to say good-bye, so-long, Adios, happy trails --- and leave you to it.
Last edited by robert j on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

robert j wrote:
rakovsky wrote:Romans 9 says:
"Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of the Messiah, who is God over all, forever praised!
The problems with your translation here of Romans 9:5 have been addressed in another contemporaneous thread --- I don't feel the need to add to the objections raised there, starting with this post ---

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1578&start=10#p62844

Using a questionable translation of Romans 9:5 as evidence that Paul thought Jesus was God does not even qualify as a fart-in-the-wind in light of the great many passages where Paul refers to two separate heavenly entities --- God the father --- and the son of that God, the Lord Jesus Christ.

And relying on later texts --- even "Pauline" ones like the Deutero-Paulines and the Pastorals (as you have done elsewhere) to interpret the 5 letters that Paul wrote to his communities, or Romans --- is a fool's errand. Pauline thought evolved. Though I acknowledge that you, and certainly some others, will likely disagree.
If it was just one verse like Rom 9 5 saying
"Who is over all God blessed[Noun. or Adj] forever", then it would be doubtful. But when you look at the early 5 epistles and find all these other references to Jesus preexisting the world and being the first creature and being Lord over all, the creator of the world, worthy of worship, blessed be he, the Lord, then something is definitely up.

And to say that Paul in thought evolved from that into trinitarianism makes it look like the evolution was not such a huge step, and in fact could have been there all along easily, if it just comes down to whether we call this praised and worshiped Lord of all Creator "God" or not.

I mean, it would have been easier if Paul had included a footnote saying Jesus is God and repeated it 40 times, but I think Paul preferred to make this issue a bit cryptic. I think he preferred for the audience to get the hints. Maybe he wanted to leave the audience a way out in case they didn't want to get the hints.

That's an apologetic I heard as to why they didn't write things more obviously in the OT, it's because God wants you to make the step of faith and let you take a step in acceptance instead of force feeding you everything.

For faith to play any role, there has to be room for dobut too.

Not sure how much I agree with that Apologetic.

But anyway, I think Paul liked the cryptic style a bit talking about the nature of Jesus' divinity.

Regards.