CA Evans: Why Did the NT Writers Appeal to the OT?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

CA Evans: Why Did the NT Writers Appeal to the OT?

Post by MrMacSon »

Craig A. Evans 'Why Did the New Testament Writers Appeal to the Old Testament?' Journal for the Study of the New Testament Sept 2015, vol. 38 no. 1; 36-48
  • Abstract

... Some of the New Testament writers appealed to certain passages because Jesus appealed to them and they had become part of the ‘biblical theology’ of the Jesus movement in the post-Easter setting. Other texts were appealed to because they clarified new problems and questions that the early church faced as it grew and expanded into lands outside of Israel.
http://jnt.sagepub.com/content/38/1/36.abstract
arnoldo

Re: CA Evans: Why Did the NT Writers Appeal to the OT?

Post by arnoldo »

And I exhort you to do nothing out of strife, but according to the doctrine of Christ. When I heard some saying, If I do not find it in the ancient Scriptures, I will not believe the Gospel; on my saying to them, It is written, they answered me, That remains to be proved. But to me Jesus Christ is in the place of all that is ancient: His cross, and death, and resurrection, and the faith which is by Him, are undefiled monuments of antiquity; by which I desire, through your prayers, to be justified.

. . . For I have heard some saying, If I do not find the Gospel in the archives, I will not believe it. To such persons I say that my archives are Jesus Christ, to disobey whom is manifest destruction. My authentic archives are His cross, and death, and resurrection, and the faith which bears on these things, by which I desire, through your prayers, to be justified. He who disbelieves the Gospel disbelieves everything along with it. For the archives ought not to be preferred to the Spirit . "It is hard to kick against the pricks; " it is hard to disbelieve Christ; it is hard to reject the preaching of the apostles.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... onger.html

What is the "the archives" referring to?
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

arnoldo wrote:
And I exhort you to do nothing out of strife, but according to the doctrine of Christ. When I heard some saying, If I do not find it in the ancient Scriptures, I will not believe the Gospel; on my saying to them, It is written, they answered me, That remains to be proved. But to me Jesus Christ is in the place of all that is ancient: His cross, and death, and resurrection, and the faith which is by Him, are undefiled monuments of antiquity; by which I desire, through your prayers, to be justified.

. . . For I have heard some saying, If I do not find the Gospel in the archives, I will not believe it. To such persons I say that my archives are Jesus Christ, to disobey whom is manifest destruction. My authentic archives are His cross, and death, and resurrection, and the faith which bears on these things, by which I desire, through your prayers, to be justified. He who disbelieves the Gospel disbelieves everything along with it. For the archives ought not to be preferred to the Spirit . "It is hard to kick against the pricks; " it is hard to disbelieve Christ; it is hard to reject the preaching of the apostles.

The first of the two quotes appears a little more clear:
When I heard some saying, If I do not find it in the ancient Scriptures, I will not believe the Gospel;
So, in that text, I'd guess that archives = ancient Scriptures.

And my decoder ring tells me that is equivalent to the scriptures, which we qualify as the Hebrew scriptures...
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

arnoldo wrote:

The first mention of archives is "For I have heard some saying, If I do not find the Gospel in the archives, I will not believe it."

Then Ignatius responds "To such persons I say that my archives are Jesus Christ, to disobey whom is manifest destruction."

and then writes "My 'authentic archives' are His cross, and death, and resurrection, and the faith which bears on these things, by which I desire, through your prayers, to be justified."

The subsequent reference to " the archives" that "ought not to be preferred to the Spirit" would seem to be reference to texts and comparing them to faith in Jesus (?)
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

MrMacSon wrote:.
Craig A. Evans 'Why Did the New Testament Writers Appeal to the Old Testament?' Journal for the Study of the New Testament Sept 2015, vol. 38 no. 1; 36-48
  • Abstract

... Some of the New Testament writers appealed to certain passages because Jesus appealed to them and they had become part of the ‘biblical theology’ of the Jesus movement in the post-Easter setting. Other texts were appealed to because they clarified new problems and questions that the early church faced as it grew and expanded into lands outside of Israel.
http://jnt.sagepub.com/content/38/1/36.abstract
I agree.
For example, when you preach to the other nations, Gal. 3 about Abraham being the Father of many nations is helpful. Ie more than just the Israelite nation were predicted to come under Abraham.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

MrMacSon wrote:
arnoldo wrote:

The first mention of archives is "For I have heard some saying, If I do not find the Gospel in the archives, I will not believe it."

Then Ignatius responds "To such persons I say that my archives are Jesus Christ, to disobey whom is manifest destruction."

and then writes "My 'authentic archives' are His cross, and death, and resurrection, and the faith which bears on these things, by which I desire, through your prayers, to be justified."

The subsequent reference to " the archives" that "ought not to be preferred to the Spirit" would seem to be reference to texts and comparing them to faith in Jesus (?)
It sounds like the ancient archives refers to the old testament.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com