"the brothers who were in Pontus": Marcion's? John's? Both?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: "the brothers who were in Pontus": Marcion's? John's? Bo

Post by MrMacSon »

Stuart wrote:
Paul, James, John, Simon/Peter, etc are all legend. Their stories are "Acts" of which there seem to have been many tales. But I extend this designation to Papias, Justin, Polycarp, Marcion, Valentinus, and others. Belief in any one of these must be set aside in study. The literature must speak for itself.
Ignatius is also likely to be legend.

Stuart wrote:
I take all writings from the church fathers with a large grain of salt when it comes to the beliefs of their opponents. It's like reading some Liberal Democrat describing the positions of Conservative; there might be some points generally correct, but the motivation for the positions is often off the wall (Note same applies the other way around, neither really gets what truly motivates the other, and so tend to project all sorts of evil reasons; "I'm for good, so anyone opposing me must be for evil")...
It seems that strawmen, ancient versions of sock-puppets, and [ancient] astro-turfing abounded.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Yes Ignatius is legend. It used to be accepted the writings were 4th century, and that is still probably true.

Yes, I dodged the ranking of Church Fathers. But mostly because Stephen is attempting to wedge. There is value in the sum of the descriptions of various groups. But they need to be tested and not simply accepted. I do not dismiss the evidence, but I don't simply accept it blindly either. When it comes to defining the text of Marcion it is similar, as you have to carefully read the context of statements. (I can give an example of where it is very probable Adamantius - or its source - reversed the order of an argument making it appear a verse was present in the Marcionite text when it was definitely not; the motive is obvious.)

The subject here is Papias, and the internal evidence points to later than 2nd century for the content. That seems fair to me, and it has value as document from the early 3rd century. Just give it it's proper value and don't inflate it.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Stuart wrote:
The subject here is Papias, and the internal evidence points to later than 2nd century for the content ...it has value as [a] document from the early 3rd century.
The "Preface to John, Vat. Reg. lat 14", that the OP is about, somewhat ties Papias to 'Marcion' (and makes its John to be of the same time period).

The 3rd century is when we [supposedly] get most of our information about Marcion: via Tertullian's Adv Marcion, which is considered 'post-Montanist' (~ post 207 AD), and starts

BOOK I

1. Nothing I have previously written against Marcion is any longer my concern. I am embarking upon a new work to replace an old one. My first edition, too hurriedly produced, I afterwards withdrew, substituting a fuller treatment. This also, before enough copies had been made, was stolen from me by a person, at that time a Christian but afterwards an apostate, who chanced to have copied out some extracts very incorrectly, and shewed them to a group of people. Hence the need for correction. The opportunity provided by this revision has moved me to make some additions. Thus this written work, a third succeeding a second, and instead of third from now on the first, needs to begin by reporting the demise of the work it supersedes, so that no one may be perplexed if in one place or another he comes across varying forms of it. http://www.tertullian.org/articles/evan ... k1_eng.htm
  • Tertuallian seems besotted with Marcion.
Interestingly, there is scant reliable evidence about Tertullian and his life: most history about him comes from passing references writings attributed to him.

To digress further:-

The chronology of [Tertullian's] writings is difficult to fix with certainty. It is in part determined by the Montanistic views that are set forth in some of them, by the author's own allusions to this writing, or that, as antedating others (cf. Harnack, Litteratur ii.260–262), and by definite historic data (e.g., the reference to the death of Septimius Severus, Ad Scapulam, iv). In his work against Marcion, which he calls his third composition on the Marcionite heresy, he gives its date as the fifteenth year of the reign of Severus (Adv. Marcionem, i.1, 15) —which would be approximately the year 208.

The writings may be divided with reference to the two periods of Tertullian's Christian activity, the Catholic and the Montanist (cf. Harnack, ii.262 sqq.), or according to their subject-matter. The object of the former mode of division is to show, if possible, the change of views Tertullian's mind underwent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertullia ... d_contents
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

If we are having a discussion rather than attempt to posture the fact that you don't accept the evidence for a historical Marcion (something the Church Fathers argue for) it is difficult in my mind to reconcile this position with a repeated pattern in this forum of you 'reconstructing' the Marcionite canon from these unreliable sources? Why do on the one hand suppose that we can know what the Marcionite canon looked like down to the dots on the page based on 'unreliable sources' while rejecting the historical Marcion derived from these same sources?

My position is that the material is unreliable for reconstructing ANYTHING but the most basic understanding of Marcion, the Marcionite tradition and his/its canon. I think that is a more reasonable position based on our agreement the material reporting our information about Marcion, the Marcionite tradition and his/its canon is unreliable. What about Irenaeus, Tertullian, Epiphanius and the rest of these losers makes reconstructing the canon 'reliable' but information about Marcion 'unreliable'? Seems very silly and arbitrary distinction to me.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

TOTALLY RELIABLE FOR RECONSTRUCTING EVERY PASSAGE IN THE MARCIONITE CANON
Last edited by Secret Alias on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

TOTALLY UNRELIABLE REGARDING INFORMATION ABOUT A HISTORICAL MARCION
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Secret Alias wrote:
If we are having a discussion, rather than attempt to posture the fact that you don't accept the evidence for a historical Marcion (something the Church Fathers argue for), it is difficult in my mind to reconcile this position with a repeated pattern in this forum of you 'reconstructing' the Marcionite canon from these unreliable sources? Why do on the one hand suppose that we can know what the Marcionite canon looked like --down to the dots on the page based on 'unreliable sources'-- while rejecting the historical Marcion derived from these same sources?

My position is that the material is unreliable for reconstructing ANYTHING but the most basic understanding of Marcion, the Marcionite tradition, and his/its canon. I think that is a more reasonable position, based on our agreement the material reporting our information --about Marcion, the Marcionite tradition, and his/its canon-- is unreliable.
I think that's a reasonable position. One could qualify the reconstructed Marcion, or the the reconstructed Marcionite texts, as that:-
  • ie. 'recontstructed-Marcion' and 'reconstructed-Marcionite canon'
I presume when you say "something the Church Fathers argue for" you mean they argue for a historical Marcion, rather than [some] arguing they "don't accept the evidence for a historical Marcion".

Secret Alias wrote:
What about Irenaeus, Tertullian, Epiphanius, and the rest of these losers, makes reconstructing the canon 'reliable', but information about Marcion 'unreliable'? Seems very silly and arbitrary distinction to me.
I agree regarding Irenaeus and Tertullian being unreliable, which is why I posted this:-
BOOK I

1. Nothing I have previously written against Marcion is any longer my concern. I am embarking upon a new work to replace an old one. My first edition, too hurriedly produced, I afterwards withdrew, substituting a fuller treatment. This also, before enough copies had been made, was stolen from me by a person, at that time a Christian but afterwards an apostate, who chanced to have copied out some extracts very incorrectly, and shewed them to a group of people. Hence the need for correction. The opportunity provided by this revision has moved me to make some additions. Thus this written work, a third succeeding a second, and instead of third from now on the first, needs to begin by reporting the demise of the work it supersedes, so that no one may be perplexed if in one place or another he comes across varying forms of it. http://www.tertullian.org/articles/evan ... k1_eng.htm
  • Tertuallian^ seems besotted with Marcion.
Interestingly, there is scant reliable evidence about Tertullian and his life: most history about him comes from passing references writings attributed to him.
The chronology of [Tertullian's] writings is difficult to fix with certainty. It is in part determined by the Montanistic views that are set forth in some of them, by the author's [supposed] own allusions to this writing, or that, as [supposedly] antedating others (cf. Harnack, Litteratur ii.260–262), and by definite historic data (e.g., the reference to the death of Septimius Severus, Ad Scapulam, iv) ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertullia ... d_contents
As Epiphanius (of Salamis) is mid- to late- 4th century, he is likely to be more at the heart of a more concrete early-Christianity(?) Although with Epiphanius meaning "clearly manifested", someone could have been having a lend of everyone. And it is interesting that Epiphanius's Panarion is, like the major works of Irenaeus and Tertullian, obsessed with supposedly past heresies (as does at least one other work of Epiphanius: the Ancoratus, which argues against Arianism and the 'teachings' of Origen).

andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Peter Kirby wrote:One of the most remarkable (and perhaps one of the most overlooked) things about this passage is the description of the five books of Papias as the "exoteric" books, which confirms a distinction between the "esoteric" and "exoteric" Christian teaching, for Papias, someone of relatively early date who is generally claimed for orthodox/catholic tradition.
Exoteric here maybe should be exegetic
See Lightfoot

Andrew Criddle
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

andrewcriddle wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:One of the most remarkable (and perhaps one of the most overlooked) things about this passage is the description of the five books of Papias as the "exoteric" books, which confirms a distinction between the "esoteric" and "exoteric" Christian teaching, for Papias, someone of relatively early date who is generally claimed for orthodox/catholic tradition.
Exoteric here maybe should be exegetic
See Lightfoot
I see. Yeah, that works.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

MrMacSon wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Paul, James, John, Simon/Peter, etc are all legend. Their stories are "Acts" of which there seem to have been many tales. But I extend this designation to Papias, Justin, Polycarp, Marcion, Valentinus, and others. Belief in any one of these must be set aside in study. The literature must speak for itself.
Ignatius is also likely to be legend.

Stuart wrote:
I take all writings from the church fathers with a large grain of salt when it comes to the beliefs of their opponents. It's like reading some Liberal Democrat describing the positions of Conservative; there might be some points generally correct, but the motivation for the positions is often off the wall (Note same applies the other way around, neither really gets what truly motivates the other, and so tend to project all sorts of evil reasons; "I'm for good, so anyone opposing me must be for evil")...
It seems that strawmen, ancient versions of sock-puppets, and [ancient] astro-turfing abounded.
In that case, perhaps it's time to revist the The Eusebian Fiction Postulate.