Myth of widespread messianic expectations early first C

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: Some perspective

Post by neilgodfrey »

rakovsky wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:Tick off or highlight the writings in the list below that contain discussions of a conquering/liberating messiah to come; then consider the chances of finding that number with mention of a messiah without any widespread messianic movement beyond the community, or even if there was no particularly vibrant interest in messianism within the "community" or whoever the scrolls and fragments represent.

Qumran Cave 1
1QIsaa
1QIsab
1QS
1QpHab
1QM
1QHa
1QapGen
CTLevi
1QGen
1QExod
1QpaleoLev
1QDeuta
1QDeutb
1QJudg
1QSam
1QIsab
1QEzek
1QPsa
1QPsb
1QPsc
1QPhyl
1QpMic
1QpZeph
1QpPs
1QJuba
1QJubb
1QNoah
1QapGen
1QTLevi
1QDM
1QEnGiantsa
1QEnGiantsb
1Q25
1Q26
1QMyst
1Q28
1QSa
1QSb
1Q29
1Q30
1Q31
1QNJ
1QM
1QLitPr
1QHb
1Q36-40
1Q41-70
1QDana
1QDanb

Qumran Cave 2
2QGen
2QExoda
2QExodb
2QExodc
2QpaleoLev
2QNuma
2QNumb
2QNumc
2QNumd
2QDeuta
2QDeutb
2QDeutc
2QJer
2QPs
2QJob
2QRutha
2QRuthb
2QSir
2QJuba
2QJubb
2QapMoses
2QapDavid
2QapProph
2QNJ
2Q25
2QEnGiants
2Q27
2Q28 2Q29
2Q30 2Q31
2Q32 2Q33

Qumran Cave 3
3QEzek
3QPs
3QLam
3QpIsa
3QJub
3QHymn
3QTJudah
3QUnid
3QSectarian text
3QUnc
3QUncA-B
3QUncC
3QCopScr

Qumran Cave 4
4QGen-Exoda
4QGenb
4QGenc
4QGend
4QGene
4QGenf
4QGeng
4QGenh
4QGenh2
4QGenh-para
4QGenh-title
4QGenj
4QGenk
4QExodl
4QpaleoGenm
4QExodb
4QExodc
4QExodd
4QExode
4QExod-Levf
4QExodg
4QExodh
4QExodj
4QExodk
4QpaleoExodm
4QLevNuma
4QLevb
4QLevc
4QLevg 4QLevd
4QNumLeva
4QNumb
4QDeuta
4QDeutb
4QDeutc
4QDeutd
4QDeute
4QDeutf
4QDeutg
4QDeuth
4QDeuti
4QDeutj
4QDeutk1
4QDeutk2
4QDeutk3
4QDeutl
4QDeutm
4QDeutn
4QDeuto
4QDeutp
4QDeutq
4QpaleoDeutr
4QpaleoDeuts
4QJosha
4QJoshb
4QJudga
4QJudgb
4QSama
4QSamb
4QSamc
4QKgs
4QIsaa
4QIsab
4QIsac
4QIsad
4QIsae
4QIsaf
4QIsag
4QIsah
4QIsai
4QIsaj
4QIsak
4QIsal
4QIsam
4QIsan
4QIsao
4QIsap
4QIsaq
4QIsar
4QJera
4QJerb
4QJerc
4QJerd
4QJere
4QPsa
4QPsb
4QPsc
4QPsd
4QPse
4QPsf
4QPsg
4QPsh
4QPsj
4QPsk
4QPsl
4QPsm
4QPsn
4QPso
4QPsp
4QPsq
4QPsr
4QPss
4QPst
4QPsu
4QPsv
4QPsw
4QPsx
4QJoba
4QJobb
4QpaleoJobc
4QProva
4QProvb
4QRutha
4QRuthb
4QCanta
4QCantb
4QCantc
4QQoha
4QQohb
4QEzra
4QChr
4QLXXLeva
pap4QLXXLevb
4QLXXNumb
4QLXXDeut
4QPhyla
4QPhylb
4QPhylc
4QPhyld
4QPhyle
4QPhylf
4QPhylg
4QPhylh
4QPhyli
4QPhylj
4QPhylk
4QPhyll
4QPhylm
4QPhyln
4QPhylo
4QPhylp
4QPhylq
4QPhylr
4QPhyls
4QPhylt
4QPhylu
4QMeza
4QMezb
4QMezc
4QMezd
4QMeze
4QMezf
4QMezg
4QtgLev
4QtgJob
4QRPa
4QOrdinancesa
4QVisSam
4QpIsaiaha
4QpIsaiahb
4QTest
4QCommentary on Gen A
4QCommentary on Gen C
4QCommentary on Gen D
4QRPb
4QRPc
4QRPd
4QRPe
4QapocrJosha
4QapocrJoshb
4QpapGen or papJub
4QTempleScrollb
4QGenn

Qumran Cave 5
5QDeut
5QKgs
5QIsa
5QAmos
5QPs
5QLama
5QLamb
5QPhyl
5QToponyms
5QapocMal
5QS
5QD
5QRégle
5QCurses
5QNJ
5QUnid
5QUnc

Qumran Cave 6
6QpaleoGen
6QpaleoLev
pap6QDeut
pap6QKgs
pap6QPs
6QCant
pap6QDan
pap6QEnGiants
pap6QapocrSam/Kgs
pap6QProph
6QAllegory
6QapProph
6QPriestProph
6Qapoc
6QD
pap6QBen
6QCalDoc
pap6QHymn
6QGen
6QDeut
6QfrgProph
pap6QUnidA
pap6QUnidA ar
6QUnidB
6QpapProv

Qumran Cave 7

Qumran Cave 8
8QGen
8QPs
8QPhyl
8QMez
8QHymn

Qumran Cave 9
9Q1

Qumran Cave 10

Qumran Cave 11
11QpaleoLeva
11QLevb
11QDeut
11QEzek
11Q5
11QPsa
11QPsb
11QPsc
11QPsd
11QPse
11QtgJob
11QapocrPs
11QJub
11QMelch
11Q Sefer ha-Milmah
11QHymnsa
11QHymnsb
11QShirShabb
11QNJ
11QTa
11QTb
11QTc
11Q Unidentified

Wadi Murabba'at Cave 1
Mur1
MurDeut
MurIsa
MurPhyl
MurMez
Mur6
Generally those look like copies of the Tanakh.
There are alot that are Messianic, but offhand, the ones especially so would be Psalms, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Zechariah, Hosea. On the other thread I quoted from the JewFaq website with chapters in Tanakh Jews consider Messianic.
You're just guessing. We know exactly which ones contain mentions of a messiah and which ones are "messianic". Just check a website listing and identifying each.

If you read my OP you might suspect that my point is that the relatively very scant few references to a messiah in the DSS far from suggest we had a messianic cult here.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Re: Myth of widespread messianic expectations early first C

Post by neilgodfrey »

andrewcriddle wrote:The alternative to a belief in (reasonably) widespread messianic expectation in the early first century seems to be that the Jewish war and fall of Jerusalem generated messianic expectations that were previously lacking; and that these expectations were back projected by later writers into the early first century.

Do we have any positive evidence that the aftermath of the Jewish war encouraged messianic expectations ?

Andrew Criddle
I don't know that we do.

Incidentally, Steve Mason's recent study, A History of the Jewish War A.D. 66-74, addresses the evidence we have for the origins of the war and finds the simplest explanation without any need for messianic motivations at all. But that's another topic.

I don't think we have any explicit evidence for political messianism as such until the time of the Bar Kochba war -- or am I overlooking something?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote:
"I will raise up for them a prophet like you [Moses] from among their own people; I will put my words in the mouth of the prophet, who shall speak to them everything that I command. Anyone who does not heed the words that the prophet shall speak in my name, I myself will hold accountable. But any prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, or who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded the prophet to speak-that prophet shall die." Deuteronomy 18:18-20
What does that passage tell us about messianic movements?

It does not speak of a messiah. Certainly not a political-military deliverer.

It tells us nothing about public awareness of or interest in the passage at any time in history even if it were interpreted messianically in some sense.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

John T wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:
The Dead Sea Scrolls

Yes, there are messianic references found in some of these. But they are in fact very few compared with the total number of scrolls and surviving manuscript fragments. This relative "fewness" does not lead us to think that messianism was a particularly major preoccupation of the sectarians producing or using those scrolls (assuming "sectarians" of some sort were responsible for them).

Moreover, the messianic references that do exist do not, if I recall correctly, give any indication that a messiah was to appear "within a few years/generation" around the early first century (or any specific period). One could write of a doctrinal belief in a messianic future without being hung up about it and getting everyone around enthused to expect it to happen "any day now".

Besides, one has to ask the extent to which the contents of the DSS throw a light on the beliefs and attitudes of the more general illiterate population.
Florilegium or Midrash on the Last Days (4Q174) Speaks of the last days as predicted in the book of Isaiah and the book of Daniel the Prophet.

A Messianic Apocalypse (4Q521) Speaks of the coming messiah.

The Heavenly Prince Melchizedek (IIQ13) Speaks of the Day of Atonement taking place at the tenth Jubilee, when all the Sons of Light and the men of the lot of Melchizedek will be atoned for.

So, it appears there were plenty of sources for the general population to believe that during the 1st century the long anticipated Messiah would arrive to clear out the Romans and cleanse the Temple.
No, you have cited three writings from how many DSS fragments do we have? That's not "plenty of sources". It is three out of a barrel of about 350.

None of those sources speaks of the (early) first century CE. None gives us any hint of excited anticipation that the messiah was about to arrive on the scene and deliver them.

None gives us any reason to think they preoccupied the minds of the general population.
Last edited by neilgodfrey on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

arnoldo wrote:For Moses said, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you.
http://biblehub.com/acts/3-22.htm
How does this address the question? How much of the OP did you read beyond the title?
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

neilgodfrey wrote:
arnoldo wrote:For Moses said, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you.
How does this address the question? How much of the OP did you read beyond the title?
Is it plausible that messianic expectations was a reality in the second century? And if so, why were these messianic expectations projected into the first century by the gospel writers?
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote:Another first or second century reference to the (Davidic) messiah:

R. Eliezer says: If you will succeed in keeping the Sabbath you will escape the three visitations: The day of Gog, the suffering preceding the advent of the Messiah, and the Great Judgment Day.

The association between the Davidic messiah and Eliezer is particularly strong. He died a generation before Justin.
The question is not whether or not the Jewish scriptures spoke of a messianic son of David figure to come. They clearly did. That is not in dispute. (Nor am I disputing that the same scriptures spoke of other end-time scenarios and messiahs as well.)

The question is the extent to which the general population among Judeans were preoccupied with those particular passages and a hope that such a figure would appear imminently -- all coincidentally around the time Jesus appeared.

I don't think we have any evidence to justify that historical reconstruction.

Marion theology is formulated in Asia Minor, I presume, through some sort of dialogue with/reaction agains other theological views that were associated with our ideas of Judaism and Christianity. Despite your chain of reasoning I don't see how Marcionism testifies to a popular messianism around the turn of the first century.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

arnoldo wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:
Is it plausible that messianic expectations was a reality in the second century? And if so, why were these messianic expectations projected into the first century by the gospel writers?
If you are asking about the origin of "the myth" I offered an answer here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2890&start=20#p64320

(Yes, it is "plausible that messianic expectations were a reality in the second century" among some groups. Did you have any in mind? Bar Kochba? Others?

Why do you assume that those particular plausible expectations were projected into the first century by the gospel writers? Or if I have misunderstood you, why do you seem to assume I am arguing for that particular scenario? I'm not sure why you appear to be wanting to deflect from the arguments in the OP.)
Last edited by neilgodfrey on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

neilgodfrey wrote:
John T wrote:
"I will raise up for them a prophet like you [Moses] from among their own people; I will put my words in the mouth of the prophet, who shall speak to them everything that I command. Anyone who does not heed the words that the prophet shall speak in my name, I myself will hold accountable. But any prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, or who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded the prophet to speak-that prophet shall die." Deuteronomy 18:18-20

It tells us nothing about public awareness of or interest in the passage at any time in history even if it were interpreted messianically in some sense.
Perhaps none wrote as concisely concerning messianic expectations as Vernard Eller in his book War and Peace: From Genesis to Revelation. In it, he writes about someone who will be the opposite of a political-military deliverer. . who will practice reverse fighting, if you will. Quite fittingly, the preview of his book in google books is in reverse.
https://books.google.com/books?id=VOtKA ... ng&f=false
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

arnoldo wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:
John T wrote:

Perhaps none wrote as concisely concerning messianic expectations as Vernard Eller in his book War and Peace: From Genesis to Revelation. In it, he writes about someone who will be the opposite of a political-military deliverer. . who will practice reverse fighting, if you will. Quite fittingly, the preview of his book in google books is in reverse.
https://books.google.com/books?id=VOtKA ... ng&f=false
You are aware, are you not, of the mainstream scholarship arguing against the notion that there ever was an early first C popular messianism in Palestine?

Can you give some outline of the argument and evidence addressed by Eller? I don't think you are going to simply ask us to buy and read a book without some discussion of its points?

Added later:
Just checked a blurb. Are you a Christian apologist? If so, you might like to read the exchange I had on this question with another apologist in the Jewish Texts and History forum.