has aggressive evangelism diminished since 1996?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jamesthelazer

Re: has aggressive evangelism diminished since 1996?

Post by Jamesthelazer »

I think the public forum has just shifted to the point no one thinks to use the street.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

andrewcriddle wrote:The internet does have other effects on young people from a religious background. It makes it easier to find other young people from the same background to get to know better and maybe marry.
That's true too. I would guess it's most profound as an effect for the religious groups that are smaller and strongly prefer to marry their own.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

barryjones wrote:
Was the internet the beginning of the end for fundamentalist Christianity?

No but the way information is shared today definitely has effected levels of fundamentalism.

Adults have not changed and many of the children have not changed, but the younger generation growing up right now, it is effecting greatly.

The fanaticism levels are on the decrease overall, but still severely stunted by the old in power.

I have YEC friends at work and it changes nothing at all in their lives. But their kids are not all following mommy and daddys mistakes.

So I would say "yes" rapid on tap information and knowledge will effect levels of fanaticism in the young. But it will not be the end of it. People are not that bright and we are still animals by nature.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:
andrewcriddle wrote:The internet does have other effects on young people from a religious background. It makes it easier to find other young people from the same background to get to know better and maybe marry.
That's true too. I would guess it's most profound as an effect for the religious groups that are smaller and strongly prefer to marry their own.

But he said something I see as fact.
The internet does have other effects on young people
The other effects are not all apologetic in nature.

It may take many generations, but knowledge is seeping in to the younger people who do not want to be looked at as fanatical nutjobs.

I have no tolerance for fanaticism and fundamentalism, and my personal method is to deride apologetic methodology that promotes willful ignorance. I point out the stupidity and use peer pressure NOT to effect the person I deride, but for those watching that may be on the fence.

I am a strong atheist and despise willful ignorance, knowing what unbiased education can do for humanity.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

outhouse wrote: I have no tolerance for fanaticism and fundamentalism
You don't have any understanding of why some people become "fanatics" and "fundamentalists".
outhouse wrote:and my personal method is to deride apologetic methodology that promotes willful ignorance. I point out the stupidity and use peer pressure NOT to effect the person I deride, but for those watching that may be on the fence.

I am a strong atheist and despise willful ignorance, knowing what unbiased education can do for humanity.
Your cure sounds as bad as the disease. According to your explanation here you are acting just as intolerantly of the people you despise.

And from previous exchanges with you I am prepared to think you are "wilfully ignorant" of Muslims and Islamist movements.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science