Historicity of Mk 8:31-33

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Michael BG

Historicity of Mk 8:31-33

Post by Michael BG »

The question I would like an answer to is:

Is there anything behind Mk 8:31-33 which is historical?
[31] And he began to teach them that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

[32] And he said this plainly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.
[33] But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter, and said, "Get behind me, Satan! For you are not on the side of God, but of men."
I make the following assumptions:
Jesus existed as a person within time and space
Peter also existed in time and space and was a follower of Jesus
That Christians were interested in passing on events and sayings of Jesus made during his lifetime.
Christians and the gospel writers redacted tradition that were passed on to them.
Christians and the gospel writers could create new stories about Jesus.

If any of the first three are not true then nothing in Mk 8:31-33 can be historical.

If any of the last two are not true then everything in Mk 8:31-33 is historical.

We can see from how Luke (9:22) and Matthew (16:21) that “after three days” was problematic to them as they both changed it to “on the third day”.

Matthew has a saying about the son of man being three days and three days in the heart of the earth – Mt 12:40
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Luke has a different version (Lk 11:30)
For as Jonah became a sign to the men of Nin'eveh, so will the Son of man be to this generation.
I think it is more likely that the Lucan version was the one in Q as it fits the context better. Matthew often groups sayings together therefore it is possible that he has replaced the Q version with a saying he had from another tradition. It is unlikely that Matthew would have created it because he always changes Marks “after three days” to “on the third day.”

It is therefore possible that both Matthew and Mark are presenting us with an earlier tradition regarding the length of time between Jesus’ death and his resurrection than the one given in Mark.

It is possible to conclude that before we have the tradition we have in Mark there was an older one where Jesus was dead for three days and nights before anyone saw him.

I remember reading somewhere that in Judaism the soul remains with the body for three days after death. Therefore the story that disciples only started to see Jesus after three days and nights would make sense within this context especially if they see him in heaven. (Maurice Casey suggests that the Aramaic behind the word “rise” could mean going to heaven.)

Unfortunately none of this means that “after three days” goes back to Jesus.

Maurice Casey in Jesus of Nazareth states that “both Matthew and Luke edited the predictions of Jesus’ death and Resurrection which they inherited from Mark to make them seem more convincingly accurate because of their increasing details” (p378). From this Casey concludes that “by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes” should be removed as Mark’s editorial work. Casey however keeps “suffer, rejected and die”.

It is possible that Jesus could have predicted his own death especially if the Wisdom sayings of prophets being rejected and killed in the past goes back to Jesus. Such sayings as:

Lk 13:34-35 (Q Mt 23:37-39)
[34] O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!
[35] Behold, your house is forsaken. And I tell you, you will not see me until you say, `Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!'"
Q (Lk 11:49 Mt 23:34)
Therefore also the Wisdom of God said, “I send you prophets and …, some of whom you will kill … and persecute …
It is often suggested that Mark sees Jesus as the suffer servant of Isaiah 53. Therefore Mark could have added “suffer” here as part of this motif.

Maurice Casey emphasises the importance of the second part of this section. He declares “that the early church would have no reason to invent” Peter’s reaction (p 377). He then goes on to state, “Neither Peter rebuking Jesus, nor this serious criticism of Peter would be found in Mark’s Gospel if this did not represent approximately what happened”. He concludes both are authentic.

I think there is an alternative position, that Mark has a negative view of the disciples and often presents them in a negative light. It has been suggested that there is a progress for this presentation. They fail to understand Jesus, they lack faith, Peter is rebuked, one of them Judas betrays Jesus, the other disciples flee and Peter denies knowing Jesus.

According to Jonas D. Christal “there are three passion predictions (8:31; 9:30-31; 10:32-34) followed by the disciples’ inability to understand their meaning (respectively 8:32; 9:32-33; 10:35-37), and Jesus’ further clarifications about the meaning of his passion and what it means to follow him (8:34-38; 9:35-37; 10:38-45). Here, for sure, the literary device of repetition, employed by the author, serves to emphasize the theme of Jesus’ passion, and the disciples’ failures give Jesus the opportunity for further teaching to the disciples and audience” (https://dlib.bc.edu/islandora/object/bc ... m/PDF/view).

It is therefore quite possible that Peter’s rebuke and Jesus’ rebuke of Peter are literary devises of Mark.

The title “Son of Man” is used by Jesus in both Mark and Q and therefore it is extremely likely to go back to Jesus. The question is which one? It is not normal today to refer to oneself in the third person and therefore I think it is unlikely that Jesus used the term “Son of Man” to refer to himself.

Therefore I think the section about Peter rebuking Jesus and Jesus rebuking Peter are not historical but a creation of Mark. There is a strong possibility that Jesus did predict that he would be killed in Jerusalem, but the wording of Mk 8:31 contains very little of what is likely to be historical and it is impossible to recover from it much that is historical accept the general concept.
Last edited by Michael BG on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard Muller

Re: Historicity of Mk 8:31-33

Post by Bernard Muller »

[31] And he began to teach them that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

[32] And he said this plainly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.
[33] But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter, and said, "Get behind me, Satan! For you are not on the side of God, but of men."
According to my study, Peter never believed Jesus was the Son of Man, and in Jesus' resurrection (among other Christian things).
So this rebuttal allegedly when Jesus was still alive is meant to explain why Peter was never heard, by "Mark" and his community, telling about Jesus being the Son of Man and resurrecting. There are many other elements in gMark implying Peter and other disciples did not see Jesus as divine in any ways, Christ, resurrected, Son of God, etc.
More details here: http://historical-jesus.info/8.html and here also http://historical-jesus.info/108.html
So there is something historical from these verses but it is rather indirect.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Michael BG wrote:If any of the first three are not true then nothing in Mk 8:31-33 can be historical.

No logic there Mike.

I don't think it is historical, but you are not showing a credible relationship as to why we have to throw out the rest.
toejam

Post by toejam »

I tend to suspect that Jesus did not think of himself as the Son of Man... But it's certainly a tough one. I don't hold that with any conviction. I've often flirted with the idea of going the full mile - that Jesus thought and taught himself to be the Son of Man and that he went to Jerusalem with the goal of becoming a martyr in order to 'return' in power. Jesus may have been even more crazy than us secular historicists tend to suspect. I dunno.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

outhouse wrote:
Michael BG wrote:If any of the first three are not true then nothing in Mk 8:31-33 can be historical.
No logic there Mike.
(The only person who called me Mike was my grandmother. I never asked her why she couldn’t use my preferred name. I didn’t put much effort into correcting her, maybe I thought she was too old to use my preferred name.)
You are correct the rejection of only one of the first three assumptions does not make it true. You could reject the one about Peter and accept the other two and you would only be rejecting the parts that name Peter. However it would be hard to argue that anything was historical if you didn’t accept Jesus existed and that Christians told stories based on his actions and sayings.
outhouse wrote:I don't think it is historical, but you are not showing a credible relationship as to why we have to throw out the rest.
What would you dispute about the case I made for the verses not being historical?
What would you add to the case for the verses not being historical?
Bernard Muller wrote: According to my study, Peter never believed Jesus was the Son of Man, and in Jesus' resurrection (among other Christian things).
So this rebuttal allegedly when Jesus was still alive is meant to explain why Peter was never heard, by "Mark" and his community, telling about Jesus being the Son of Man and resurrecting. There are many other elements in gMark implying Peter and other disciples did not see Jesus as divine in any ways, Christ, resurrected, Son of God, etc.

So there is something historical from these verses but it is rather indirect.

Cordially, Bernard
I am not sure Jesus saw himself as the Son of Man.

I am not sure you can deduce from Mark’s redaction what Peter believed, but you present it logically and it is not impossible. I am not convinced by your reading of Paul that Peter didn’t believe in a resurrected Jesus.

However your conclusion on the historicity of these verses is very close to mine
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Michael BG wrote:According to Jonas D. Christal “there are three passion predictions (8:31; 9:30-31; 10:32-34) followed by the disciples’ inability to understand their meaning (respectively 8:32; 9:32-33; 10:35-37), and Jesus’ further clarifications about the meaning of his passion and what it means to follow him (8:34-38; 9:35-37; 10:38-45). Here, for sure, the literary device of repetition, employed by the author, serves to emphasize the theme of Jesus’ passion, and the disciples’ failures give Jesus the opportunity for further teaching to the disciples and audience” (https://dlib.bc.edu/islandora/object/bc ... m/PDF/view).

It is therefore quite possible that Peter’s rebuke and Jesus’ rebuke of Peter are literary devises of Mark.
Therefore I think the section about Peter rebuking Jesus and Jesus rebuking Peter are not historical but a creation of Mark. There is a strong possibility that Jesus did predict that he would be killed in Jerusalem, but the wording of Mk 8:31 contains very little of what is likely to be historical and it is impossible to recover from it much that is historical accept the general concept.
Agreed. Another point is that these three predictions, inadequate reactions of the disciples and further clarifications occur within a passage between the two "healings of a blind". Scholars often call this passage "On the way" because this phrase is at the start and the end of this section (and a few times within).

8:25 Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. 26 And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.” 27 And Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi. And on the way (ἐν τῇ ὁδῷ) he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?”
10:52 And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way (ἐν τῇ ὁδῷ).

This seems to be a careful structure and a literary devise of Mark.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote:
Michael BG wrote:According to Jonas D. Christal “there are three passion predictions (8:31; 9:30-31; 10:32-34) followed by the disciples’ inability to understand their meaning (respectively 8:32; 9:32-33; 10:35-37), and Jesus’ further clarifications about the meaning of his passion and what it means to follow him (8:34-38; 9:35-37; 10:38-45). Here, for sure, the literary device of repetition, employed by the author, serves to emphasize the theme of Jesus’ passion, and the disciples’ failures give Jesus the opportunity for further teaching to the disciples and audience” (https://dlib.bc.edu/islandora/object/bc ... m/PDF/view).

Agreed. Another point is that these three predictions, inadequate reactions of the disciples and further clarifications occur within a passage between the two "healings of a blind". Scholars often call this passage "On the way" because this phrase is at the start and the end of this section (and a few times within).

8:25 Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. 26 And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.” 27 And Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi. And on the way (ἐν τῇ ὁδῷ) he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?”
10:52 And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way (ἐν τῇ ὁδῷ).

This seems to be a careful structure and a literary devise of Mark.
Even more so if one accepts, as Carrier suggested, that "hē hodos" in those verses are allusions to "The Way (of the Lord)", as the early Christians described their faith.

Best,
Jiri