About Mark 10:18....

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

About Mark 10:18....

Post by Giuseppe »

Mc 10:18
And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
A possible interpretation:
What is good is not Jesus as Jesus, but Jesus as the Son of God, the Christ.

This is another clue of the Mark's worship not of the his invented Jesus, but exclusively of the pauline Christ.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
davidbrainerd

Re: About Mark 10:18....

Post by davidbrainerd »

Or after a string of out of context quotations from the OT were interpolated into Romans 3 including "there is none that doeth good, no not one" in order to make the gospels agree with this new pessimistic sentiment based on contorting an OT passage about atheists out of context and applying it to all humanity, the general editor of the canon went back and changed "why do you ask me about the good, one [thing] is good" to a text more agreeing with the new pessimism of humanity he created by twisting the OT when he was creating Romans 3 which was not there in the original Romans, just as I don't think this was there is the original Mark.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Too much complex as theory. The verse fits with the general Messianic Secret of Mark. Jesus is "good" insofar he is secretely the image of God. Therefore who adores the rabbi Jesus - we would say "the historical Jesus" - is going against the true Jesus and against Paul his true apostle.

At the end "Mark" became victim of the monster created by himself.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Giuseppe --

Why do your always want to go Somewhere Over the Rainbow?

Mark 10: 13 - 17 (RSV):

[13] And they were bringing children to him, that he might touch them; and the disciples rebuked them.
[14] But when Jesus saw it he was indignant, and said to them, "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God.
[15] Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."
[16] And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands upon them.
[17] And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
[18] And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.
[19] You know the commandments: `Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.'"
[20] And he said to him, "Teacher, all these I have observed from my youth."
[21] And Jesus looking upon him loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."
[22] At that saying his countenance fell, and he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.

Josephus, War..., 2, 2, 4:

"And when Caesar had maturely weighed by himself what both had to allege for themselves, as also had considered of the great burden of the kingdom, and largeness of the revenues, and withal the number of the children Herod had left behind him, and had moreover read the letters he had received from Varus and Sabinus on this occasion, he assembled the principal persons among the Romans together, (in which assembly Caius, the son of Agrippa, and his daughter Julias, but by himself adopted for his own son, sat in the first seat,) and gave the pleaders leave to speak..."

I invite you to read the Mini-War over the gold in the Citadels (Guarded by whom?) after the departure of Archelaus.

J, W, 2, 2, 6 and 7, in part:

But he insisted that the latter testament should, for this reason, above all others, be esteemed valid, because Herod had therein appointed Caesar to be the person who should confirm the succession; for he who showed such prudence as to recede from his own power, and yield it up to the lord of the world, cannot be supposed mistaken in his judgment about him that was to be his heir; and he that so well knew whom to choose for arbitrator of the succession could not be unacquainted with him whom he chose for his successor.

" When Nicolaus had gone through all he had to say, Archelaus came, and fell down before Caesar's knees, without any noise; - upon which he raised him up, after a very obliging manner, and declared that truly he was worthy to succeed his father..."

"Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone..."

This isn't Metaphysics! These are very Cynical Jokes about Caesar, the "Lord of the Earth". The line about "No one is good" is a Clue as to who is the reference here. Caesar! Archelaus, the Suit Dummy, is indeed worthy to be a successor to his father. In a few years, Judea will have been absorbed into the Empire. The appointment of the Herodians was a stroke of genius! "Better to be Herod's pig than Herod's son."

Yes! Indeed!

CW