Cue: Holy Spirit

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Cue: Holy Spirit

Post by Charles Wilson »

Mark 1: 8 (RSV):

[8] I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit

I was going to Post this on Joe Wallack's Award Winning Post on Mark's first verse but decided to start a new Thread for obvious reasons (Considering my Views on things...).

"General Eisenhower was about to order his troops to move in a flanking maneuver against the German Unit. First, however, he had to clear the troop movement with Washington. Cell phone service was unusually spotty in those days but, amazingly, the call went through..."

WHAT?!?? Huh...? What's wrong with this? What, then, is the problem with this?:

Acts 19: 2 - 6 (RSV):

[2] And he said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said, "No, we have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."
[3] And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" They said, "Into John's baptism."
[4] And Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus."
[5] On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
[6] And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

Yes, I know. "After Jesus, then the Holy Spirit". This is a bit different. The Holy Spirit is Pre-Existent, as per "Jesus". He knows. So how can it be that no one else knows? "Jesus" supposedly is "Proven" to be coming in the OT. "I'm tellin' you guys that I was supposed to enter Stage Right at this moment. But wait! There's more! I've got something else that even my believers didn't bargain for! It's the Brand New 33 AD Holy Spirit! Look at this Beauty! Well,err, ummm, you can't really SEE this swoopy little thing BUT IT'S THERE! Believe me when I tell you..."

Apologetix is simply off the rails here. The creation of Christianity has to create the Myths and get Scribes to write in the details. Sometimes it's very clumsy:

John 2: 20 - 23 (RSV):

[20] The Jews then said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?"
[21] But he spoke of the temple of his body.

Jesus is 46 years old?

This has all of the earmarks of a more Settled Text that has been suddenly rendered inoperative. Like...a Domitian ordering a rewrite of the Deification of Titus in favor of Lord God Domitian. Domitian dies and is rendered a Damnation Memoriae and, as the Project matures, is written as "Holy Spirit". Something like "Sign's Gospel" => Deification Texts of Titus => Rewrite => Domitian becomes "Holy Spirit". Rome Wins! Rome Wins! Rome Wins!

Of course Jesus is written as "Son of God". The Scribe who wrote that had no knowledge of Markan language. He was under orders to have Jesus seen as the Son of God. "Sure thing, Jack. Takes about a minute. There you are! By the way, I had to tear off the back page of this thing to have some paper to write this new stuff on. Wasn't much on it though. I scraped it off pretty good this time. Anyway, it's done. Lookit. Gotta run. See ya'..."

CW