The Interpretation of Sukkah 52a

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lsayre

Re: The Interpretation of Sukkah 52a

Post by lsayre »

Not to spin off on a tangent here, but might there be correlation between the duality implicit within the conception of a Messiah Ben Joseph and a Messiah Ben David and that of Two Powers in Heaven?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

neilgodfrey wrote:On the more general point about Messiah ben David's request for life in Suk 52a, Himmelfarb interprets this request ...
Neil, just out of curiosity, does Himmelfarb accept that the Ben David pericope in Sukkah 52a is from the tannaitic era?

It's written in Hebrew, meaning it's supposedly tannaitic and thus fairly early, while most of the Ben Joseph material in the same section is in Aramaic and thus apparently much later.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Nathan wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:On the more general point about Messiah ben David's request for life in Suk 52a, Himmelfarb interprets this request ...
Neil, just out of curiosity, does Himmelfarb accept that the Ben David pericope in Sukkah 52a is from the tannaitic era?

It's written in Hebrew, meaning it's supposedly tannaitic and thus fairly early, while most of the Ben Joseph material in the same section is in Aramaic and thus apparently much later.
I have not read Himmelfarb cover to cover but from what I have read I don't believe she addresses the question of source for Suk 52a. Her interest is rather in the use the Book of Zerubbabel makes of the traditions found in the Babylonian Talmud and elsewhere.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science