John 6: 1

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

John 6: 1

Post by Charles Wilson »

John 6: 1 (RSV), (NIV):

[1] After this Jesus went to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, which is the Sea of Tiber'i-as.

[1] Some time after this, Jesus crossed to the far shore of the Sea of Galilee (that is, the Sea of Tiberias),

I found this about a half hour ago. In several other Posts, going back a long way, I have asserted that, in Mark, "Crossing Over" is not about getting into a Taxi/Boat and "crossing over" to some "other side" of the Sea of Galilee. In the game of "One Thing Leads to Another", "Jesus" is not "asleep in the stern of the boat". He is in Antonia and, depending on which visit we are talking about, has probably been arrested. Step by step, the Original Story is put together and it is the Story of Peter and a Priest. The first part of the Story ends here:

Mark 6: 53 - 56 (RSV):

[53] And when they had crossed over, they came to land at Gennes'aret, and moored to the shore.
[54] And when they got out of the boat, immediately the people recognized him,
[55] and ran about the whole neighborhood and began to bring sick people on their pallets to any place where they heard he was.
[56] And wherever he came, in villages, cities, or country, they laid the sick in the market places, and besought him that they might touch even the fringe of his garment; and as many as touched it were made well.

This should be after the Temple Slaughter of 4 BCE. The Priest, saved by Peter in a Miracle Story, comes back out of Antonia and ministers to the maimed and dismembered.

These sections should be studied with the idea that the entire set of scenes (including the feeding of the thousands) are telling the same Story. Mark's version is hurried, as if out-of-order to the events. Note, however, John 6: 1. Which is correct? That "Jesus" "went to the other side" or that he "Crossed Over to the other side"?

If it's "Crossed Over", then here is another instance of John and Mark reading from a Common Source. The Original is being consciously hidden to tell the story of the New Religion. This datum gives evidence, then, of several layers of rewrites, and, by extension, finding a Greek word that carries the meaning of "Crossing Over" but with the intention of a "better" understanding that is conveyed by "...went to the other side..."

See also Matthew 18: 3 (RSV), (NIV):

[3] and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

[3] And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

If the meaning is "Change" then the Meaning of the Story is lost. If you must literally "Turn and become like children" then you get a measure of "How small was this entrance?".

John 6: 1 appears to have been Transvalued several times before getting into this final state.

CW
Last edited by Charles Wilson on Sat May 20, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidbrainerd

Re: John 6: 1

Post by davidbrainerd »

Too imaginative
Charles Wilson

Re: John 6: 1

Post by Charles Wilson »

What part?