Why Does Luke 9:31 Add the Prediction of the Passion?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Why Does Luke 9:31 Add the Prediction of the Passion?

Post by Secret Alias »

About eight days after Jesus said this, he took Peter, John and James with him and went up onto a mountain to pray. 29 As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lightning. 30 Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. 31 They spoke about his departure which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. 32 Peter and his companions were very sleepy, but when they became fully awake, they saw his glory and the two men standing with him. 33 As the men were leaving Jesus, Peter said to him, “Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” (He did not know what he was saying.) 34 While he was speaking, a cloud appeared and covered them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. 35 A voice came from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.” 36 When the voice had spoken, they found that Jesus was alone. The disciples kept this to themselves and did not tell anyone at that time what they had seen.
It is a curious addition. Where would Luke have learned about this additional detail? Isn't it ridiculous enough that two dead men appeared on the mountain? Isn't it even more ludicrous that a voice was heard from heaven? But now the addition of the two resurrected dead men (Moses and Elijah) speaking of his 'exodus' at Jerusalem. This is absolutely outlandish. Luke couldn't have learned about this information from any of the eyewitnesses so it is a lie. But why add it?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
GakuseiDon

Re: Why Does Luke 9:31 Add the Prediction of the Passion?

Post by GakuseiDon »

Secret Alias wrote:It is a curious addition. Where would Luke have learned about this additional detail? Isn't it ridiculous enough that two dead men appeared on the mountain? Isn't it even more ludicrous that a voice was heard from heaven? But now the addition of the two resurrected dead men (Moses and Elijah) speaking of his 'exodus' at Jerusalem.
They aren't 'resurrected dead men' though. Traditionally Moses and Elijah were thought by some to have been taken up to heaven. They 'appeared in glorious splendor' suggests they were still in heavenly form. There might be several reasons for this:
1. Elijah was 'returning' to announce the Christ, as prophecized
2. Moses and Elijah were passing on their approval on Jesus as Christ, for some reason.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Oddly enough Origen is the earliest source for this addition. But is it Origen or Eusebius? Against Celsus was likely edited by Eusebius as was the Commentary on Matthew. Here are the references in the latter:

for such is the force of the words talking with Him but, according to Luke, Moses and Elijah appeared in glory, down to the words, in Jerusalem.

τοιοῦτον γάρ τί ἐστι τὸ δηλούμενον ἀπὸ τοῦ μετ' αὐτοῦ συλλαλοῦν τες, κατὰ δὲ τὸν Λουκᾶν· «Μωσῆς καὶ Ἠλίας ὀφθέντες ἐν δόξῃ» καὶ τὰ ἑξῆς ἕως τοῦ «ἐν Ἱερουσαλήμ». [Origen Comm Matt 12.38]

and for the prophecy which spoke of the decease of Jesus, which He was about to accomplish

τῇ προφητείᾳ «τὴν ἔξοδον» λαλούσῃ τοῦ Ἰησοῦ «ἣν ἔμελλε πληροῦν» [ibid 12:41]
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

They aren't 'resurrected dead men' though. Traditionally Moses and Elijah were thought by some to have been taken up to heaven.
Deuteromony 34 And Moses the servant of the Lord died there in Moab, as the Lord had said. 6 He buried him in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is. 7 Moses was a hundred and twenty years old when he died, yet his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone. 8 The Israelites grieved for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days, until the time of weeping and mourning was over.
John2

Post by John2 »

I've never heard of Moses ascending to heaven before so I thought I'd look it up, and Zwiep notes that:
Given the straightforward description of Moses' death and burial in Deut 34:5-8 it may come somewhat as a surprise to find in some circles an expressed belief that Moses in fact had not died but had been bodily transferred to heaven.

https://books.google.com/books?id=QIW7J ... es&f=false
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

I'm poking around a little more and I see that Josephus says Moses ascended to heaven too in Ant. 4.8.48:
Now as soon as they were come to the mountain called Abarim, (which is a very high mountain, situate over against Jericho, and one that affords, to such as are upon it, a prospect of the greatest part of the excellent land of Canaan,) he [Moses] dismissed the senate; and as he was going to embrace Eleazar and Joshua, and was still discoursing with them, a cloud stood over him on the sudden, and he disappeared in a certain valley, although he wrote in the holy books that he died, which was done out of fear, lest they should venture to say that, because of his extraordinary virtue, he went to God.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

John2 wrote:I'm poking around a little more and I see that Josephus says Moses ascended to heaven too in Ant. 4.8.48:
Also in Philo: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/yonge/book25.html
  • And some time afterwards, when he was about to depart from hence to heaven, to take up his abode there, and leaving this mortal life to become immortal, having been summoned by the Father, who now changed him, having previously been a double being, composed of soul and body, into the nature of a single body, transforming him wholly and entirely into a most sun-like mind...

For when he was now on the point of being taken away, and was standing at the very starting-place, as it were, that he might fly away and complete his journey to heaven, he was once more inspired and filled with the Holy Spirit, and while still alive, he prophesied admirably what should happen to himself after his death, relating, that is, how he had died when he was not as yet dead, and how he was buried without any one being present so as to know of his tomb, because in fact he was entombed not by mortal hands, but by immortal powers, so that he was not placed in the tomb of his forefathers, having met with particular grace which no man ever saw...
I wonder if this tradition started because there was no tomb found for Moses.
Last edited by GakuseiDon on Sun May 28, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is really important, in life, to concentrate our minds on our enthusiasms, not on our dislikes. -- Roger Pearse
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Secret Alias wrote:. . But why add it?
Perhaps the writer is foreshadowing Luke 24:25-27?

He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

Garon

Post by Garon »

What better authority then Moses (law) Elijah (prophets) to Jews that Jesus is the Christ?
Didn't Peter (Simon) acknowledge that when Jesus asked "Who do men say that I am?"

Peter had been looking for forgiveness ever since his betrayal of Jesus. So here he has
a vision with others and he has a vision of walking to Jesus and sinking until Jesus lifts
him out of the water.

Writers can place people, events and times anywhere they want to in their stories to make their
story exclusive to other stories or to their audiences.

I can say I had a vision and it's up to who I'm telling it to believe or not believe me.

That's what we call Religion and Politics.

The best convincing story (no facts or proof needed) will have followers whether the story
writers is PHD, DD, Ordained, Crazy, Drunk or common.

Enjoy the Bible stories as they are instead of looking for factual answers.

Jesus said Who Ever BELIEVES in him will do the same plus more miracles and works.

So, until people start DEMONSTRATING his commands and works, they are just STORIES.

Does anyone Get That Yet?
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Addtionally, the appearance of Elijah may've been seen as a (partial) fullfillment of Malachi 4:4-6

Malachi 4:4-6

4 “Remember the law of my servant Moses, the decrees and laws I gave him at Horeb for all Israel.

5 “See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”