Another Curious Dependence on Matthew for Marcion

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Another Curious Dependence on Matthew for Marcion

Post by Secret Alias »

Origen's apolutrosis is very closely related to Marcionism (his patron was a Marcionite). Notice the explicit references to the blood of Jesus

https://books.google.com/books?id=kxl-P ... en&f=false
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Secret Alias wrote:
"Christus magis adamavit hominem, quando alienum redemit." (Tertullian De Carnis 4) The price paid was the blood of Christ. It is thus clear that for Marcion redemption derived from the death of Christ, not from the Resurrection alone. The significance of the shedding of Christ's blood on this view was not so much to make possible the forgiveness of sins as to cancel the Creator's claims upon his creatures.2 (Blackman Marcion 102)
But where is this allusion to 'the price' of Christ's blood? Of course it is found only - in the canonical gospel set - in Matthew:
So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself. The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is the price of blood (τιμὴ αἵματός).” 7 So they decided to use the money to buy the potter’s field as a burial place for foreigners. 8 That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day. 9 Then what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: “They took the thirty pieces of silver, the price set on him by the people of Israel, 10 and they used them to buy the potter’s field, as the Lord commanded me.”
I even wonder, given the centrality of this concept in Marcionite Christianity, whether the orthodox invention of Τιμόθεος the companion of Paul is related to the τιμὴ αἵματός.
Was there a "dependence on Matthew for Marcion" (as per the thread title), or it vice versa?

Is this 'price of christ's blood' a tenuous link?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Ok. Let me try again (and this might have application to the discussion about Papias). In the context of very different orders of gospels floating around in the second century. There were lots of arrangement, not just in the order preserved in the canonical texts. I am suggesting that some of the stories preserved in Matthew were also found in the Marcionite gospel. Not trying to argue for the priority of anything right here.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The act of Judas was likely connected with the establishment of 'Marcionites' (which I wonder might have something to do with the Latin term for 'purchase'). We've seen the parallels in Armenia. Gregory the Illuminator (saint of the Armenian orthodox tradition from the fourth century) mouths contemporary Marcionite slogans from the near contemporary report of Eznik of Kolb. But consider also vestiges of Marcionism in the southern neighbor (i.e. Harran near the Marcionite center of Osroene). The narrative of the Acts of Archelaus begins with Marcellus 'purchasing' a new group of 'slaves':
On a certain occasion, when a large; body of captives were offered to the bishop Archelaus by the soldiers who held the camp in that place, their numbers being some seven thousand seven hundred, he was harassed with the keenest anxiety on account of the large sum of money which was demanded by the soldiers as the price of the prisoners' deliverance. And as he could not conceal his solicitude, all aflame for the religion and the fear of God, he at length hastened to Marcellus, and explained to him the importance and difficulty of the case. And when that pattern of piety, Marcellus, heard his narration, without the least delay he went into his house, and provided the price demanded for the prisoners, according to the value set upon them by those who had led them captive; and unlocking the treasures of his goods, he at once distributed the gifts of piety among the soldiers, without any severe consideration of number or distinction, so that they seemed to be presents rather than purchase-moneys. And those soldiers were filled with wonder and admiration at the grandeur of the man's piety and munificence, and were struck with amazement, and felt the force of this example of pity; so that very many of them were added to the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, and threw off the belt of military service, while others withdrew to their camp, taking scarcely a fourth part of the ransom, and the rest made their departure without receiving even so much as would defray the expenses of the way.
No, not a confirmation of the blood purchase but a symbolic redemption certainly, a transfer of one Lord to another .
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

I think I now see why the Marcionites were so antijewish. I mean here you have a sect well known for taking the OT literal and rejecting the OT god. But along comes a Jew to tell us they were actually gematria nutters who loved the OT god. I guess they were right; Jews just cant help by try to Judaize everything.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

davidbrainerd wrote:I think I now see why the Marcionites were so antijewish. I mean here you have a sect well known for taking the OT literal and rejecting the OT god. But along comes a Jew to tell us they were actually gematria nutters who loved the OT god. I guess they were right; Jews just cant help by try to Judaize everything.
indeed, this is the precise reason because we like SA's posts, after all.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.