Luke 10:18 as anti-marcionite point

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Luke 10:18 as anti-marcionite point

Post by Giuseppe »

Luke 10:17-24
17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”

18 He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
The exorcisms in Mcn are interpreted as evidence that the angel Jesus is descended from heaven, for the first time on the Earth.

Now instead is another angel to descend on the Earth: Satan.

his Fall then is not His creation: Satan ceases to be the creator of this world.

But the Gnostics said that the Creation was really a Fall.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Luke 10:18 as anti-marcionite point

Post by Giuseppe »

For the Gnostics, the Fall of Satan corresponds to his Creation of this world, the beginning of the his rule on it.

For the Catholics, the Fall of Satan seen by Jesus represents the coming end of the his rule on the world.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Giuseppe wrote:

17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”

18 He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
This sounds like material found within the extended ending of Mark. Is this also an interpolation?
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

lsayre wrote:
Giuseppe wrote:

This sounds like material found within the extended ending of Mark. Is this also an interpolation?
Isn't it generally understood as such?