Hegesippus, Stephen Gobar, and Paul (for John2).

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

Hegesippus, Stephen Gobar, and Paul (for John2).

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Hi, John. You and I have discussed the following passage before, of course:

Photius, Bibliotheca 232, quoting or paraphrasing Stephen Gobar: Ὅτι τὰ ἡτοιμασμένα τοῖς δικαίοις ἀγαθὰ οὔτε ὀφθαλμὸς εἶδεν οὔτε οὖς ἤκουσεν οὔτε ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἀνθρώπου ἀνέβη. Ἡγήσιππος μέντοι, ἀρχαῖός τε ἀνὴρ καὶ ἀποστολικός, ἐν τῷ πέμπτῳ τῶν ὑπομνημάτων, οὐκ οἶδ' ὅ τι καὶ παθών, μάτην μὲν εἰρῆσθαι ταῦτα λέγει, καὶ καταψεύδεσθαι τοὺς ταῦτα φαμένους τῶν τε θειῶν γραφῶν καὶ τοῦ Κυρίου λέγοντος· «Μακάριοι οἱ ὀφθαλμοὶ ὑμῶν οἱ βλέποντες καὶ τὰ ὦτα ὑμῶν τὰ ἀκούοντα» καὶ ἑξῆς. / [Thesis:] The good things prepared for the just the eye has not seen, the ears have not heard, and they are not found in the heart of man. [Antithesis:] However Hegesippus, one of the ancients, a contemporary of the apostles, in the fifth book of his Commentaries [in I do not know what context], says that these are empty words and that those who say them are liars since the Holy Scriptures and the Lord both say, "Blessed are your eyes because they see and happy your ears because they hear," and the rest.

From this notice it is often inferred that Hegesippus, as many Jewish Christians are reported as doing, rejected Paul, since it is Paul who pens these words in 1 Corinthians 2.9: ἃ ὀφθαλμὸς οὐκ εἶδεν καὶ οὗς οὐκ ἤκουσεν καὶ ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἀνθρώπου οὐκ ἀνέβη, ἃ ἡτοίμασεν ὁ θεὸς τοῖς ἀγαπῶσιν αὐτόν. I have until now allowed Hegesippus to be rejecting Paul here, but it has never made much sense to me, and now I am looking into the matter on its own merits (rather than as merely attached to other issues, such as the ending of the Didache).

I have to say, though, that I am not at all convinced that Hegesippus is being correctly quoted here. First of all, it bears mention that we are reading Photius, who is reading Gobar, who is reading Hegesippus. The phrase which I bracketed above ("in I do not know what context," which has also been translated as, "I do not know quite what he meant," or, "how moved I know not") seems to come from Photius, not from Gobar, since the latter has no reason whatsoever to express incredulity at an early father contradicting the received wisdom; indeed, the whole point of his Miscellanies appears to be the contradictions which one is able to find at a moment's notice in the Christian record. Harnack writes, "This remark is by Photius, since he never makes Gobarus speak in the first person." There may be other paraphrases or insertions along the line, as well. Gobar must be viewed as highly tendentious here. Not that either Photius or Hegesippus ought to be excused from suspicions of the same, but Gobar is simply laying out contradictions, and he has every motive to play them up when he finds them, not to play them down. Thus Harnack writes:

From the historical point of view the most interesting statement made by Gobarus is the quotation from Hegesippus. It reads: τὰ ἡτοιμασμένα τοῖς δικαίοις ἀγαθὰ οὔτε ὀφθαλμὸς εἶδεν οὔτε οὖς ἤκουσεν οὔτε ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἀνθρώπου ἀνέβη. Ἡγήσιππος μέντοι, ἀρχαῖός τε ἀνὴρ καὶ ἀποστολικός, ἐν τῷ πέμπτῳ τῶν Ὑπομνημάτων [the following words: οὐκ οἶδ' ὅ τι καὶ παθών, belong to Photius] μάτην μὲν εἰρῆσθαι ταῦτα λέγει, καὶ καταψεύδεσθαι τοὺς ταῦτα φαμένους τῶν τε θειῶν γραφῶν καὶ τοῦ Κυρίου λέγοντος· Μακάριοι οἱ ὀφθαλμοὶ ὑμῶν οἱ βλέποντες καὶ τὰ ὦτα ὑμῶν τὰ ἀκούοντα, καὶ ἑξῆς. The statement "in the fifth book" gives to the quotation a special degree of certainty. That Hegesippus attacked Paul is extremely unlikely, first because he gives the citation in a form different from that of Paul in 1 Corinthians 2,9, secondly because he speaks of more than one who use (or misuse) the saying, and finally because in Paul himself it is a quotation, and we know numerous passages in which it is cited as a word of Scripture or of the Lord. The real state of things can only be as follows: Hegesippus had in mind in his polemic heretics who misused the saying for their celestial fantasies, and did not remember that it is found in Paul as well. But Gobarus knew the saying only as Pauline, and, finding it rejected in Hegesippus, seized on it in order to show that even an ancient and apostolic man had contradicted an apostle. Could there be a stronger testimony to the uncertainty of tradition? Whether Gobarus had the citation at first or second hand, cannot be certainly determined; but the exactness of the formula of citation favors the former assumption.

He is correct about the form of the quotation being different. Here is the comparison in the Greek:

1 Corinthians 2.9: ἀλλὰ καθὼς γέγραπται, ἃ ὀφθαλμὸς οὐκ εἶδεν καὶ οὗς οὐκ ἤκουσεν καὶ ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἀνθρώπου οὐκ ἀνέβη, ἃ ἡτοίμασεν ὁ θεὸς τοῖς ἀγαπῶσιν αὐτόν.

Gobar: τὰ ἡτοιμασμένα τοῖς δικαίοις ἀγαθὰ οὔτε ὀφθαλμὸς εἶδεν οὔτε οὖς ἤκουσεν οὔτε ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἀνθρώπου ἀνέβη.

The word order and construction are different, and the underlined bits in Gobar (especially "good things to the just") find no parallel in Paul. Clement follows the Pauline formulation far more closely:

1 Clement 34.8: Λέγει γάρ· «Ὀφθαλμὸς οὐκ εἶδεν, καὶ οὖς οὐκ ἤκουσεν καὶ ἐπὶ καρδίαν ἀνθρώπου οὐκ ἀνέβη, ὅσα ἡτοίμασεν κύριος τοῖς ὑπομένουσιν αὐτόν.» / For He says, "Eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and it has not entered into the heart of man what great things He has prepared for those who patiently await Him."

The underlined parts are deviations from Paul ("as many as" instead of "which," "Lord" for "God," and "wait upon" for "love"). The word order is exactly the same. Lightfoot agrees that Hegesippus is not arguing against Paul:

Lightfoot, Essays on the Work Entitled Supernatural Religion, pages 11-12: Again, when [the author of Supernatural Religion] reproduces the Tübingen fallacy respecting 'the strong prejudice' of Hegesippus against St. Paul, and quotes the often-quoted passage from Stephanus Gobarus, in which this writer refers to the language of Hegesippus condemning the use of the words, 'Eye hath not seen,' &c., why does he not state that these words were employed by heretical teachers to justify their rites of initiation, and consequently 'apologetic' writers contend that Hegesippus refers to the words, not as used by St. Paul, but as misapplied by these heretics? Since, according to the Tübingen interpretation, this single notice contradicts everything else which we now of the opinions of Hegesippus, the view of 'apologists' might, perhaps, have been worth a moment's consideration.

I wish to add to these observations, however:
  1. Elsewhere Hegesippus seems to reflect rather than reject Pauline terminology. For example, Eusebius reports him as referring to the Jewish people as "the circumcision" in History of the Church 4.22.7. This usage sounds Pauline; refer to Romans 4.12; 15.8; Galatians 2.12; Colossians 2.11; 4.11; Titus 1.10. Another phrase, "to each according to his works," which Eusebius quotes from him in 2.23.9, matches Romans 2.6 perfectly: ἑκάστῳ κατὰ τὰ ἔργα αὐτοῦ.
  2. In History of the Church 3.16[.1], Eusebius writes of Hegesippus that he "is a trustworthy witness that a tumult did take place in that of the Corinthians at the time referred to" in 1 Clement. In 4.22.1-2, Eusebius tells us that Hegesippus made some remarks about 1 Clement, after which he wrote, "And the church of Corinth continued in the true faith until Primus was bishop in Corinth. I conversed with them on my way to Rome, and abode with the Corinthians many days, during which we were mutually refreshed in the true doctrine. And when I had come to Rome I remained there until Anicetus...." These passages create a triangle of associations: 1 Clement is a letter from the Roman church to the Corinthian church; Hegesippus was refreshed in the true faith in Corinth; and Hegesippus also visited Rome. To these associations we may add the observation that 1 Clement both includes the quote about eyes not seeing and ears not hearing (in 34.8) and speaks very approvingly of Paul. While I admit it is possible that Eusebius has skipped over incriminating evidence in Hegesippus to the effect that he rejected both Paul and 1 Clement (for how could he accept the latter and reject the former?), I would like to see the argument for this. Were the churches of Corinth and Rome in agreement with him, as representatives of "the true faith," that 1 Clement and Paul were both to be condemned? Hegesippus seems preoccupied with sussing out heresies and tracing lines of episcopal succession. Was Paul one of the heresies? Did Hegesippus repudiate the very founder of the church in Corinth?
  3. Then there is this quote from History of the Church 3.32.7-8: "In addition to these things the same man, while recounting the events of that period, records that the church up to that time had remained a pure and uncorrupted virgin, since, if there were any that attempted to corrupt the sound norm of the preaching of salvation, they lay until then concealed in obscure darkness. But, when the sacred college of apostles had suffered death in various forms and the generation of those that had been deemed worthy to hear the inspired wisdom with their own ears had passed away, then the league of godless error took its rise as a result of the folly of heretical teachers, who, because none of the apostles was still living, attempted henceforth with a bold face to proclaim, in opposition to the preaching of the truth, knowledge falsely called." If Eusebius has cited Hegesippus accurately here, then Hegesippus himself assigned the rise of the heresies to the time immediately succeeding the deaths of the apostles. If this is the case, when would Hegesippus have dated Paul? How can Paul be heretical if he precedes the deaths of the apostles?
For these reasons, at least, I am inclined to think of Hegesippus as accepting both Paul and Clement. These considerations seem a lot stronger than Photius reading Gobar reading Hegesippus; Gobar is the weakest link, it seems to me.

One final consideration. How certain are we that Hegesippus was Jewish? Eusebius writes in 4.22.8 that "he quotes some passages in the Hebrew tongue, showing that he was a convert from the Hebrews." Is that enough? He knew Hebrew? At the very least we ought to notice that Eusebius is surmising that Hegesippus came from Hebrew lineage; apparently he found no explicit statement to that effect in the Memoirs themselves! I ask because IIRC Lightfoot somewhere denies outright that Hegesippus was a Jewish Christian (I cannot find the quotation right now, but I am pretty sure I remember reading it). And, even if Hegesippus was indeed a Jewish Christian, there is no expectation on that account alone that he would have rejected Paul. He could easily have held beliefs similar to those of the Nazarenes mentioned by Jerome, who avers that they accepted Paul (and refer also to Acts 24.5):

Jerome, On Isaiah 9.1: The Nazarenes, whose opinion I have set forth above, try to explain this passage in the following way: When Christ came and his preaching shone out, the land of ZebuIon and Naphtali first of all were freed from the errors of the Scribes and Pharisees and he shook off their shoulders the very heavy yoke of the Jewish traditions. Later, however, the preaching became more dominant, that means the preaching was multiplied, through the Gospel of the apostle Paul who was the last of all the apostles. And the Gospel of Christ shone to the most distant tribes and the way of the whole sea. Finally the whole world, which earlier walked or sat in darkness and was imprisoned in the bonds of idolatry and death, has seen the clear light of the Gospel. [Translation comes courtesy of Ray A. Pritz, Nazarene Jewish Christianity, page 64.]

(Even Epiphanius claims in Panarion 29.7.2 that the Nazarenes used the New Testament, which presumably would include Paul.)

At any rate, these are my reasons for suspecting that something is wrong with that quotation of Hegesippus as mediated by Photius and Stephen Gobar. What do you think?

Ben.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Re: Hegesippus, Stephen Gobar, and Paul (for John2).

Post by John2 »

Ben,

I want to take this piecemeal since I'm at work and I'm sure I'll find something to say about other things you bring up after I can give everything some due thought.

I don't think Hegesippus was necessarily Jewish (or needed to be) in order to have been "Jewish Christian," which is a term I use in the sense of someone being "Pauline Christian." Lately I've been thinking a good term might be Christian Judaism (which I've seen someone else use in some book somewhere), in the same way that there is Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Reconstructionist and Karaite Judaisms. And you're considered to be Jewish no matter which one you convert to. So in this sense I see Hegesippus as a "Christian Jew" (or Jewish Christian).
Last edited by John2 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
John2

Post by John2 »

Ben wrote:
Even Epiphanius claims in Panarion 29.7.2 that the Nazarenes used the New Testament, which presumably would include Paul.
Well, what does "the New Testament" mean? Which canon of books do you suppose they used? Different groups had different canons and the canon was still being worked out in the fourth century CE. What makes me think the Nazarene canon did not include Paul (or the Letter of Barnabas and such) is because Epiphanius says in 29.7.5 that:
They are different from Jews, and different from Christians, only in the following ways. They disagree with Jews because of their belief in Christ; but they are not in accord with Christians because they are still fettered by the Law—circumcision, the Sabbath, and the rest.
It's hard for me to square any of that with Paul. And in Pan. 29.8.7 Epiphanius says about them (one of only two times that Paul is even mentioned in the entire chapter, with the other one in 29.6.2 being only Epiphanius' observation that Paul is accused of being a ringleader of the Nazoraeans in Acts):
And how can they fail to lose the grace of God, when the holy apostle Paul says, 'If ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing .... whosoever of you do glory in the Law are fallen from grace?"
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 wrote:I don't think Hegesippus was necessarily Jewish (or needed to be) in order to have been "Jewish Christian," which is a term I use in the sense of someone being "Pauline Christian." Lately I've been thinking a good term might be Christian Judaism (which I've seen someone else use in some book somewhere), in the same way that there is Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Reconstructionist and Karaite Judaisms. And you're considered to be Jewish no matter which one you convert to. So in this sense I see Hegesippus as a "Christian Jew" (or Jewish Christian).
Fair enough. I can work with that.
John2 wrote:Ben wrote:
Even Epiphanius claims in Panarion 29.7.2 that the Nazarenes used the New Testament, which presumably would include Paul.
Well, what does "the New Testament" mean? Which canon of books do you suppose they used? Different groups had different canons and the canon was still being worked out in the fourth century CE. What makes me think the Nazarene canon did not include Paul (or the Letter of Barnabas and such) is because Epiphanius says in 29.7.5 that:
They are different from Jews, and different from Christians, only in the following ways. They disagree with Jews because of their belief in Christ; but they are not in accord with Christians because they are still fettered by the Law—circumcision, the Sabbath, and the rest.
It's hard for me to square any of that with Paul.
I think that is actually pretty easy. They believed that Paul's gospel was for gentiles only, and that Jews either could or should still follow the Law. In fact, it is not hard to find modern exegetes (mainly from the New Perspective) who think that is exactly what Paul himself thought. Epiphanius would not have to agree with this interpretation, and could condemn them from his own viewpoint.

And I do not think we have to know what the Nazarenes meant by the New Testament; these are Epiphanius' words, not theirs, and we know what he meant by it.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

Ben wrote:
And I do not think we have to know what the Nazarenes meant by the New Testament; these are Epiphanius' words, not theirs, and we know what he meant by it.
Well, the only NT books Epiphanius mentions in connection with them are the gospels and Acts in Pan 29.6.7, and that seems "New Testament" enough to me for him to say that they used the New Testament (particularly in his day and age, when things like James, Jude, 2 Peter and Revelation were in dispute).
Thus Christ's holy disciples too called themselves 'disciples of Jesus' then, as indeed they were. But when others called them Nazoraeans they did not reject it, being aware of the intent of those who were calling them that. They were calling them Nazoraeans because of Christ, since our Lord Jesus was called 'the Nazoraean' himself—as the Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles say ...
As Eusebius notes:
Of the disputed books, which are nevertheless familiar to the majority, there are extant the Epistle of James, as it is called; and that of Jude; and the second Epistle of Peter; and those that are called the Second and Third of John, whether they belong to the evangelist or to another of the same name.
And:
And, in addition, as I said, the Apocalypse of John, if it seems right. (This last as I said, is rejected by some, but others count it among the recognized books.) And among these some have counted also the Gospel of the Hebrews, with which those of the Hebrews who have accepted Christ take a special pleasure.
Now, granted, Eusebius also says:
Paul's fourteen epistles are well known and undisputed.
But he did not apply this to Ebionites, since he says of them:
These men, moreover, thought that it was necessary to reject all the epistles of the apostle, whom they called an apostate from the law; and they used only the so-called Gospel according to the Hebrews and made small account of the rest.
Likewise, given what Epiphanius says about the Nazarenes' similar attachment to the Law, I would presume that they too did not use Paul, but since he says that they did use or acknowledge the gospels and Acts, well, as I said, that seems New Testament-y enough to me to think that Epiphanius would call it the New Testament in this time period.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 wrote:Ben wrote:
Well, the only NT books Epiphanius mentions in connection with them are the gospels and Acts in Pan 29.6.7, and that seems "New Testament" enough to me for him to say that they used the New Testament (particularly in his day and age, when things like James, Jude, 2 Peter and Revelation were in dispute).
No way. We know Epiphanius' canon (Panarion 76.22), and we know his temperament. There is no way that he attributed the NT to the Nazarenes if he knew they did not accept Paul, exactly as his treatment of the Ebionites demonstrates. Zero chance. Your only viable argument would have to be that Epiphanius did not know they rejected Paul.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

And Hegesippus not only never mentions Paul, in EH 4.21 he says (or is said by Eusebius to have said) that the "true doctrine" that the church of Corinth "continued in" consisted of "the law and the prophets and the Lord," which doesn't sound like Paul to me, but more like the Gospel of the Hebrews/Matthew (which is the only gospel Eusebius associates with him). And I've noticed that Hegesippus' contemporaries Papias and Justin Martyr also do not mention Paul (with the arguments in the latter case for him nevertheless knowing Paul sounding like the one you are making for Hegesippus, which I don't find convincing -not yours, just in the case of Justin), and that didn't stop those guys from being considered more or less "true" Christians.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 wrote:And Hegesippus not only never mentions Paul, in EH 4.21 he says (or is said by Eusebius to have said) that the "true doctrine" that the church of Corinth "continued in" consisted of "the law and the prophets and the Lord," which doesn't sound like Paul to me, but more like the Gospel of the Hebrews/Matthew (which is the only gospel Eusebius associates with him). And I've noticed that Hegesippus' contemporaries Papias and Justin Martyr also do not mention Paul (with the arguments in the latter case for him nevertheless knowing Paul sounding like the one you are making for Hegesippus, which I don't find convincing -not yours, just in the case of Justin), and that didn't stop those guys from being considered more or less "true" Christians.
I agree that Papias' and Justin's use of Paul is iffy, and I actually suspect that Paul fell out of favor in Asia Minor (where Papias lived) for a time, leaving room for all those Johannine legends to come in and fill the void. But none of that has anything to do with Hegesippus.

A phrase like "the law and the prophets and the Lord" can mean virtually anything. Only context can decide on that one.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

Ben wrote:
No way. We know Epiphanius' canon (Panarion 76.22), and we know his temperament. There is no way that he attributed the NT to the Nazarenes if he knew they did not accept Paul, exactly as his treatment of the Ebionites demonstrates. Zero chance.
I haven't been able to find Pan. 76 online, but in what I've been able to find of it Epiphanius does not call his list of books the New Testament but rather (along with the OT books) "the divine writings," of which he includes the Wisdom of Solomon and Ben Sira, which he elsewhere says (Pan. 8.6) were "of disputed canonicity," again illustrating the fluidity of what were considered to be "divine writings" in his time.
If you had been begotten by the Holy Spirit and instructed in the prophets and apostles, you must have gone through (the record) from the beginning of the genesis of the world until the times of Esther in twenty-seven books of the Old Testament, which are (also) numbered as twenty-two, also in the four holy Gospels, and in fourteen epistles of the holy apostle Paul, and in the writings which come before these, including the Acts of the Apostles in their times and the catholic epistles of James, Peter, John and Jude, and in the Revelation of John, and in the Wisdom books, I mean those of Solomon and of the son of Sirach — in short, all the divine writings. . .

http://www.bible-researcher.com/epiphanius.html
And if Eusebius can similarly say on one hand that the letters of Paul were "well known and undisputed" but on the other that the Ebionites "thought that it was necessary to reject all the epistles of the apostle," then I reckon Epiphanius' Nazraenes could have likewise rejected Paul, given their similar attachment to the Torah and because Epiphanius does not explicitly associate Paul's letters with them.
Last edited by John2 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

BTW, I'm going to leave the discussion here for now. I'm falling behind at work and I'm starting to get a head ache, but you are giving me a lot to think about.