Mark Wrote for Highly Educated People

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Mark Wrote for Highly Educated People

Post by Secret Alias »

The first explicit notice of private reading appears in Hippolytus's Apostolic Tradition (36): "If on any day there is no instruction [in the Christian gathering], let each one at home take the scriptures and read sufficiently in passages that he finds profitable."

Origen in various homilies speaks of the importance of reading the scriptures at home, recommending it as a daily exercise of at least a few hours.94 His admonitions were provoked by the indifference, indeed aversion, of some to the private reading of scripture; they complained of the taedium verbi divini — the irksomeness of the private study of scripture.

Interestingly Jerome claimed that Origen's patron Ambrose had published documents intended only for private reading:
Origen himself in a letter written to Fabian, bishop of Rome, expresses penitence for having made erroneous statements, and charges Ambrose with over haste in making public what was meant only for private circulation. And yet to this day his disciples search for shifts to prove that all that excites disapprobation in his writings is due not to him but to others. [Epistle 84]
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Notice the Muratorian Canon distinguishes between public and private reading

But Hermas composed The Shepherd quite recently in our times in the city of Rome, while his brother, Pius, the bishop, occupied the [episcopal] seat of the city of Rome. [45] And therefore, it should indeed be read, but it cannot be published for the people in the Church
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

It would seem then that there was a tradition in Alexandria where the gospel was read in private/secret among an elite membership. Origen clearly understands this to be related to Jesus's statement to the disciples with respect to the parables that there was 'those within' and 'those without' division in the community. Clement in the Letter to Theodore makes it manifest that two versions of the gospel were developed by Mark to correspond to those two communities (whether or not this is historically true or simply an explanation developed after the fact to explain the two different versions of the gospel is not clear).

That Origen wrote things privately which were later made public is very reminiscent of the situation described by Clement. In fact that Origen and Clement seemed to have moved to Palestine in the third century makes Cyril's statement in the fourth even more significant:
Of these read the two and twenty books, but have nothing to do with the apocryphal writings. Study earnestly these only which we read openly in the Church (Ταύτας μόνας μελέτα σπουδαίως, ἃς καὶ ἐν Ἐκκλησίᾳ μετὰ παῤῥησίας ἀναγινώσκομεν). Far wiser and more pious than yourself were the Apostles, and the bishops of old time, the presidents of the Church who handed down these books. Being therefore a child of the Church, trench thou not upon its statutes. And of the Old Testament, as we have said, study the two and twenty books, which, if you are desirous of learning, strive to remember by name, as I recite them. For of the Law the books of Moses are the first five, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy. And next, Joshua the son of Nave , and the book of Judges, including Ruth, counted as seventh. And of the other historical books, the first and second books of the Kings are among the Hebrews one book; also the third and fourth one book. And in like manner, the first and second of Chronicles are with them one book; and the first and second of Esdras are counted one. Esther is the twelfth book; and these are the Historical writings. But those which are written in verses are five, Job, and the book of Psalms, and Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Songs, which is the seventeenth book. And after these come the five Prophetic books: of the Twelve Prophets one book, of Isaiah one, of Jeremiah one, including Baruch and Lamentations and the Epistle ; then Ezekiel, and the Book of Daniel, the twenty-second of the Old Testament.

36. Then of the New Testament there are the four Gospels only, for the rest have false titles and are mischievous. The Manichæans also wrote a Gospel according to Thomas, which being tinctured with the fragrance of the evangelic title corrupts the souls of the simple sort. Receive also the Acts of the Twelve Apostles; and in addition to these the seven Catholic Epistles of James, Peter, John, and Jude; and as a seal upon them all, and the last work of the disciples, the fourteen Epistles of Paul. But let all the rest be put aside in a secondary rank. And whatever books are not read in Churches, these read not even by yourself, as you have heard me say (Καὶ ὅσα [μὲν] ἐν ἐκκλησίαις μὴ ἀναγινώσκεται,ταῦτα μηδὲ κατὰ σαυτὸν ἀναγίνωσκε, καθὼς ἤκουσας). Thus much of these subjects.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Rightly, then, the apostle says that it was by revelation that he knew the mystery: "As I wrote afore in few words, according as ye are able reading (ἀναγινώσκοντες) it, to understand (νοῆσαι) my union (τὴν σύνεσίν μου) in the mystery of Christ (τῷ μυστηρίῳ τοῦ Χριστοῦ)." "According as ye are able," he said, since he knew that some had received milk only, and had not yet received meat, nor even milk simply. (Stromata 1.28)
Sounds kind of like Secret Mark to me especially if 'the apostle' is taken to be named 'Mark' not 'Paul':
As for Mark, then, during Peter's stay in Rome he wrote an account of the Lord's doings, not, however, declaring all of them, nor yet hinting at the secret ones, but selecting what he thought most useful for increasing the faith of those who were being instructed. But when Peter died a martyr, Mark came over to Alexandria, bringing both his own notes and those of Peter, from which he transferred to his former book the things suitable to whatever makes for progress toward knowledge. Thus he composed a more spiritual Gospel for the use of those who were being perfected. Nevertheless, he yet did not divulge the things not to be uttered, nor did he write down the hierophantic teaching of the Lord, but to the stories already written he added yet others and, moreover, brought in certain sayings of which he knew the interpretation would, as a mystagogue, lead the hearers into the innermost sanctuary of that truth hidden by seven veils. Thus, in sum, he prepared matters, neither grudgingly nor incautiously, in my opinion, and, dying, he left his composition to the church in Alexandria, where it even yet is most carefully guarded, being read only to those who are being initiated into the great mysteries.
The idea that Clement was coy about the identity of Mark, that Mark wrote a (to borrow the phraseology of Ephesians) 'milk' gospel and a 'meat' gospel all seems to indicate the same idea, the same context.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Doesn't this imply that 'the heretics' had before them the actual texts of scripture which they read to themselves?
If the heretics who assail the creator suppose that Paul was speaking against him in the words that follow: "I know that nothing good lodges in me, in my flesh, that is to say," they had better read (ἀναγινωσκόντων) the words which precede and come after these (τὰ προειρημένα καὶ τὰ ἐπιφερόμενα). He has just said, "Sin lodges in me," which makes it appropriate to go on to, "Nothing good lodges in my flesh." (Stromata 3.76)
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Oddly enough Biblindex doesn't seem to know this second reference to Ephesians 3:4 in the Stromata:

Rightly, therefore, the divine apostle says, By revelation the mystery was made known to me (φησὶν ἐγνωρίσθη μοι τὸ μυστήριον) as I wrote before in brief, in accordance with which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ (καθὼς προέγραψα ἐν ὀλίγῳ, πρὸς ὃ δύνασθε ἀναγινώσκοντες νοῆσαι τὴν σύνεσίν μου ἐν τῷ μυστηρίῳ τοῦ Χριστοῦ) -, which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it is now revealed to His holy apostles and prophets. Ephesians 3:3-5