Mark against the Gnostics?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Mark against the Gnostics?

Post by Giuseppe »

About the famous question "Is this not the carpenter's son?", could some Gnostics who rejected Jesus as son of the god of the Jews, the Demiurge, be referred behind it ? (I take the suggestion from Rylands).

In this sense the fact that Jesus couldn't do miracles there may be significant of the known despise by the Gnostics about any earthly feature of Christ (think about the "indifference" of Paul about a "historical" Jesus).

This may confirm again and again that our Mark is proto-Catholic in the most, I'm sorry to say.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: Mark against the Gnostics?

Post by Giuseppe »

And if Mary is the earthly mirror of the celestial Sophia, then the despise about the Mark's Jesus is even more sound... Jesus would be the "Carpenter" himself, the Demiurge (being the latter generally considered son aborted by Sophia).
Giuseppe

Re: Mark against the Gnostics?

Post by Giuseppe »

Hence the question: what would do some Gnostics in Nazaret?

And if Jesus came from Nazaret where there were bad Gnostics, isn't this a subtle hint that Jesus originated from them?

(P.S.: I write Nazaret and not Nazareth since from the publication of the Ratzinger's book about Jesus "of Nazaret", when all the Italian media started to omit the suffix "h" from the word for respect of the pope).