hebrews 5:7

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
james_C

Post by james_C »

During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
is the verse saying that jesus makes a prayer for not staying dead ? :confusedsmiley:
Ben C. Smith

Re: hebrews 5:7

Post by Ben C. Smith »

james_C wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:14 am

During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
is the verse saying that jesus makes a prayer for not staying dead ? :confusedsmiley:
My thoughts on this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1583.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
FransJVermeiren

Re: hebrews 5:7

Post by FransJVermeiren »

As imploring to be saved from death seems to be more plausible than begging to become alive again after having been dead, I follow the common usage of ἐκ θανἀτου mentioned above.
In this usage Hebrews 5:7 combines well with Josephus’s Life 420 in which Josephus sees three crucified friends on his way back from a scouting operation in the southern Tekoa area: “… and on my return saw many prisoners who had been crucified, and recognized three of my acquaintances among them, …

Maybe Josephus recognized his friends because one of them grasped his attention ‘with loud cries and tears’. Hebrews 5:7: “… Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, …
The one who was able to save Jesus from dying on the cross was not God but a human being, a man who could persuade the Roman commander to have this prisoner of war taken from the cross prematurely. Josephus: “I was cut to the heart and came and told Titus with tears what I had seen. He gave orders immediately that they should be taken down and receive the most careful treatment.

Josephus soberly ends with the result: “Two of them died in the physicians’ hands; the third survived.” Hebrews gives the reason why Jesus was saved in extremis: “…and he was heard for his godly fear.”

Joseph of Arimathea in the gospels is a disguised Josephus Flavius (Joseph bar Matthea).
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.