James 5:6

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John2

James 5:6

Post by John2 »

Does James 5:6 refer to Jesus?
You have condemned, you have murdered the righteous one. He does not resist you.

κατεδικάσατε ἐφονεύσατε τὸν δίκαιον· οὐκ ἀντιτάσσεται ὑμῖν.
While I'm open to other options, I'm inclined to think that it at least could refer to Jesus, and some do argue for this. Though McKnight does not appear to be one of them, he points out that:
Some early Christian texts give support to the messianic reading of James 5:6. Thus, relying on the Septuagint of Isaiah 3:9-10, Barnabas says, "Let us bind the righteous one, because he is troublesome to us" (6:7).

https://books.google.com/books?id=JNCzb ... us&f=false

Barnabas 6:7:
Forasmuch then as He was about to be manifested in the flesh and to suffer, His suffering was manifested beforehand. For the prophet saith concerning Israel; Woe unto their soul, for they have counseled evil counsel against themselves saying, Let us bind the righteous one, for he is unprofitable for us.
And Jesus is called "the righteous one" several times in the NT.

Acts 3:13-14:
The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus. You handed him over to be killed, and you disowned him before Pilate, though he had decided to let him go. You disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked that a murderer be released to you.
Acts 7:52:
Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him ...

Acts 22:14:
Then he said: ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth ... '
McKnight goes on to suggest that:
If one sees here martyrs for following Jesus, one can support the representative view ... James is speaking here of the one or the ones who have died for their faith and are now interceding with God for justice on earth.
It doesn't really matter to me if it refers to Jesus or not, but since I'm inclined to see the references to "the coming of the Lord" in James 5:7-8 as references to Jesus, it would make sense if James mentions Jesus' death in 5:6.

I can't stand grammar (in any language), but I gather (and appreciate) that the "He does not resist you" part is in the present tense, but still, Barnabas and Acts seem similar to James 5:6, and Acts 9:3-5 appears to put the persecution of Jesus in the present in the representative sense.
As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. 4He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked. “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied.

I'm just curious what others here make of James 5:6.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
Ben C. Smith

Re: James 5:6

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:20 pm Does James 5:6 refer to Jesus?
What in the text would signal that Jesus is in view?

Wisdom of Solomon 2.10-22 is not about Jesus, is it?

10 Let us oppress the poor righteous man, let us not spare the widow, nor reverence the ancient gray hairs of the aged.
11 Let our strength be the law of justice: for that which is feeble is found to be nothing worth.
12 Therefore let us lie in wait for the righteous; because he is not for our turn, and he is clean contrary to our doings: he upbraideth us with our offending the law, and objecteth to our infamy the transgressings of our education.
13 He professeth to have the knowledge of God: and he calleth himself the child of the Lord.
14 He was made to reprove our thoughts.
15 He is grievous unto us even to behold: for his life is not like other men's, his ways are of another fashion.
16 We are esteemed of him as counterfeits: he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness: he pronounceth the end of the just to be blessed, and maketh his boast that God is his father.
17 Let us see if his words be true: and let us prove what shall happen in the end of him.
18 For if the just man be the son of God, he will help him, and deliver him from the hand of his enemies.
19 Let us examine him with despitefulness and torture, that we may know his meekness, and prove his patience.
20 Let us condemn him with a shameful death: for by his own saying he shall be respected.

I have no doubt that this motif was put to use for Jesus, but is there anything in James 5 which would indicated that this is what is going on? What distinguishes James 5 from Wisdom of Solomon 2?
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

What in the text would signal that Jesus is in view?
In the text? Well, I think the references to "the coming of the Lord" in 5:7-8 refer to Jesus (and are in keeping with the understanding of the End Time in other Jewish Christian writings like 1 Peter, Revelation and Hegesippus), and I think the references to Jesus in James 1:1 and 2:1 are genuine, so if 5:6-8 do not refer to Jesus then I don't see what the point would be of mentioning Jesus in those two instances. In other words, seeing James 5:6-8 as referring to Jesus is consistent with the idea expressed in other Christian writings that Jesus was killed and would be coming soon at the end of the world.

Compare James 5:1-10 with 1 Peter 1:6-13.

James 5:1-10:
Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.

Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near. Don’t grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!

Brothers and sisters, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.
1 Peter 1:6-13:
In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, trying to find out the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing when he predicted the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow. It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

John2 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:20 pm Does James 5:6 refer to Jesus?
You have condemned, you have murdered the righteous one. He does not resist you.

κατεδικάσατε ἐφονεύσατε τὸν δίκαιον· οὐκ ἀντιτάσσεται ὑμῖν.
... It doesn't really matter to me if it refers to Jesus or not, but since I'm inclined to see the references to "the coming of the Lord" in James 5:7-8 as references to Jesus, it would make sense if James mentions Jesus' death in 5:6.

... I can't stand grammar (in any language), but I gather (and appreciate) that the "He does not resist you" part is in the present tense, but still, Barnabas and Acts seem similar to James 5:6, and Acts 9:3-5 appears to put the persecution of Jesus in the present in the representative sense.

... While I'm open to other options, I'm inclined to think that it at least could refer to Jesus, and some do argue for this.

I'm just curious what others here make of James 5:6.
Our knowledge of the sources and editorial history behind a one-off book like the epistle of James is pretty foggy when compared to much larger books like Acts and the Pauline epistles (whether we restrict these to the "undisputed" ones or not). There is just so much more in the latter to help us detect editorial clues. Barnabas is in the same boat as James, although longer, as we have multiple letters of Paul (however defined). We can assume (pretend) that Acts, not a short text itself, was written by the author of Luke, offering many more comparative options.

That being said, the evil grammar is thus: "You (pl) have condemned, you (pl) have killed the righteous man (sg); he (sg) does not resist you (pl)."

The word "man" in the RSV, or "One" in the Douay-Rheims version, is not really in the Greek, but only implied. The KJV is actually closer with "and killed the just." One of the nice things about the KJV (this refers in this case to the italicized "and") is that the implied words added for clarity are always italicized.

So, when I encounter James 5:6 I think "just (one)" may only serve as a "type" for all just people, who typically do not resist the powerful, who have been condemned or killed because of it. That the author/editor of James could consider Jesus to be one example of such a just one is thus possible. However, as the DSS peshers exemplify, if you are desperately seeking answers for the humiliating death of a foundational figure, you suddenly start seeing in revered writings like the Judean Law, their Prophets, their Writings, which we can extend in this case to include Psalms and Odes, "prophesies" that were previously hidden to be discovered in the appropriate time set by God himself.

So, the author of James may have considered Jesus to be an example of the just ones spoken about by these sources, but had come to think that these particular sources actually reveal that Jesus was something much more than a tragic loss to a community.

DCH
Last edited by DCHindley on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

Ben wrote:
Wisdom of Solomon 2.10-22 is not about Jesus, is it?

10 Let us oppress the poor righteous man, let us not spare the widow, nor reverence the ancient gray hairs of the aged.
11 Let our strength be the law of justice: for that which is feeble is found to be nothing worth.
12 Therefore let us lie in wait for the righteous; because he is not for our turn, and he is clean contrary to our doings: he upbraideth us with our offending the law, and objecteth to our infamy the transgressings of our education.
13 He professeth to have the knowledge of God: and he calleth himself the child of the Lord.
14 He was made to reprove our thoughts.
15 He is grievous unto us even to behold: for his life is not like other men's, his ways are of another fashion.
16 We are esteemed of him as counterfeits: he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness: he pronounceth the end of the just to be blessed, and maketh his boast that God is his father.
17 Let us see if his words be true: and let us prove what shall happen in the end of him.
18 For if the just man be the son of God, he will help him, and deliver him from the hand of his enemies.
19 Let us examine him with despitefulness and torture, that we may know his meekness, and prove his patience.
20 Let us condemn him with a shameful death: for by his own saying he shall be respected.

I have no doubt that this motif was put to use for Jesus, but is there anything in James 5 which would indicated that this is what is going on? What distinguishes James 5 from Wisdom of Solomon 2?
Now that I think about it, perhaps it was put to use for Jesus at least by Hegesippus if not by James, since Eusebius appears to say that he used it in EH 4.22:
And not only he [Hegesippus], but also Irenæus and the whole company of the ancients, called the Proverbs of Solomon All-virtuous Wisdom.
The passage you cite certainly sounds very Jesus-like in any event and I can see the appeal it could have had for Hegesippus. And Hegesippus also cites LXX Is. 3:10 (in reference to James) in EH 2.23, like Barnabas 6:7 does for Jesus:
And when many were fully convinced and gloried in the testimony of James, and said, ‘Hosanna to the Son of David,’ these same Scribes and Pharisees said again to one another, ‘We have done badly in supplying such testimony to Jesus. But let us go up and throw him down, in order that they may be afraid to believe him.’ And they cried out, saying, ‘Oh! oh! the just man is also in error.’ And they fulfilled the Scripture written in Isaiah, ‘Let us take away the just man, because he is troublesome to us: therefore they shall eat the fruit of their doings.
The Dead Sea Scrolls pesharim do something similar regarding the Teacher of Righteousness (who is associated with the coming of the Messiah in the Damascus Document), i.e., they apply OT verses with the word "righteous" in them to the Teacher of Righteousness, similar to what Hegesippus says of James in EH 2.23:
Because of his exceeding great justice he was called the Just, and Oblias, which signifies in Greek, ‘Bulwark of the people’ and ‘Justice,’ in accordance with what the prophets declare concerning him.

Note the plural "prophets," for which Williamson's translation has a footnote that says "reference unknown," and a note for the translation here
(http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf201 ... .xxiv.html) says: "To what Hegesippus refers I do not know, as there is no passage in the prophets which can be interpreted in this way. He may have been thinking of the passage from Isaiah quoted in §15, below, but the reference is certainly very much strained."

For example, the Habbakuk Pesher says:
"[For the wicked encompasses] the righteous" (Hab. 1:4). [The wicked is the Wicked Priest, and the righteous] is the Teacher of Righteousness ...
"O traitors, why do you stare and stay silent when the wicked swallows up one more righteous than he?" (Hab. 1:13). Interpreted, this concerns the House of Absalom and the members of its council who were dumb at the time of the chastisement of the Teacher of Righteousness and gave him no help against the Liar who flouted the Law in the midst of their whole [congregation].
"[But the righteous shall live by his faith]" (Hab. 2:4). Interpreted, this concerns all those who observe the Law in the House of Judah, whom God will deliver from the house of judgement because of their suffering and because of their faith in the Teacher of Righteousness.
And the Psalms Pesher says:
"The wicked watches out for the righteous and seeks [to slay him. The Lord will not abandon him into his hand or] let him be condemned when he is tried" (Ps. 37: 32-33). Interpreted, this concerns the Wicked [Priest] who [rose up against the Teacher of Righteousness] that he might put him to death [because he served the truth] and the Law, [for which reason] he laid hands upon him.
The DSS also refer to the coming of "the Messiah of Righteousness" in 4Q252 (and David's "seed"), like the references in the NT to Jesus being "the Righteous One" and David's "seed":
Whenever Israel rules there shall [not] fail to be a descendant of David upon the throne. For the ruler's staff is the Covenant of kingship, [and the clans] of Israel are the feet, until the Messiah of Righteousness comes, the Branch of David. For to him and to his seed was granted the Covenant of kingship over his people for everlasting generations ...

So maybe Hegesippus had something like this technique in mind when he says that James' "exceeding great" righteousness and nicknames and death were "in accordance with what the prophets declare concerning him," and the Wisdom of Solomon seems very suitable for this kind of exegesis as well.
Last edited by John2 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
John2

Post by John2 »

Regarding the "unknown" reference to James' nickname "Oblias" (or "Bulwark of the People"), after thinking about it for twenty years I'm now leaning towards it being derived from Ophel, as Plumptre, for example, notes here:
The probable Hebrew form of the word Ophli-am (= stronghold of the people), the first half of the word being identical with Ophel, the tower on the south side of the Temple, which was the residence of the Levites (Neh. XI.21).

https://books.google.com/books?id=WWJbA ... el&f=false
It is mentioned five times in the OT and is defined as "a fortified mound or hill in Jerusalem."

http://biblehub.com/hebrew/6077.htm
Last edited by John2 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John2 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:12 amNow that I think about it, perhaps it was put to use for Jesus at least by Hegesippus if not by James, since Eusebius appears to say that he used it in EH 4.22:
And not only he [Hegesippus], but also Irenæus and the whole company of the ancients, called the Proverbs of Solomon All-virtuous Wisdom.
The passage you cite certainly sounds very Jesus-like in any event and I can see the appeal it could have had for Hegesippus.
It would not surprise me if lots of people applied this passage to Jesus. I am sympathetic to the idea that the story of (a mythical/legendary) Jesus was actually even based on this passage to some extent (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3125). But I do not think the original passage was based on Jesus.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
John2

Post by John2 »

That would certainly be in keeping with Eusebius' statement that "Irenæus and the whole company of the ancients" also used it.
John2

Post by John2 »

This reminds me of a citation of Ps. 94:21 in the opening column of the Damascus Document:
...they justified the wicked and condemned the just, and they transgressed the Covenant and violated the precept. They banded together against the life of the righteous [Ps. 94:21] and loathed all who walked in perfection; they pursued them with the sword and exulted in the strife of the people.
Hamilton discusses this passage here:
The passage describes the death of the innocent righteous person at the hands of those who have power to judge: judicial murder. This is to shed the blood of the innocent. We are in the realm of דמ נקי, innocent blood. CD alludes here to Exod 23:7. In the context of commandments for the court-room (Exod 23:1, 3, 6-8), v. 7 prohibits false charges: "do not kill the innocent and those in the right (צדיק), for I will not acquit the guilty ..." But this is just what CD's wicked generation does. Psalm 94:21 calls it condemning "innocent blood": "They band together against the life of the righteous, and innocent blood they condemn" ... [which] stand as parallel instances of the righteous one wrongly condemned to death: judicial murder, "innocent blood."

https://books.google.com/books?id=Kp0kD ... er&f=false
John2

Post by John2 »

The above is very much like James 5:6 then.
You have condemned [κατεδικάσατε], you have murdered the righteous one ...
καταδικάζω:
Definition: I condemn, pass sentence upon.

2613 katadikázō (from 2596 /katá, "according to, down," which intensifies dikazō, "to act as judge") – properly, judge down, i.e. condemn in an exact (personal) manner that is highly specific.

http://biblehub.com/greek/2613.htm