Carrier and Couchoud about Revelation 13:8

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Carrier and Couchoud about Revelation 13:8

Post by MrMacSon »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:26 pm "The lamb has been dead since yesterday."
To me, that suggests or relates to contemplation about a possible fate of the lamb -eg. if it's edible; or if there's contemplation about how it might have died and eg. if a post-mortem is being contemplated and how it might be affected by how long it has been dead (and by what environmental conditions the body has been in since it died).

"The lamb died yesterday" is more a declarative or informative statement.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

rakovsky wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:14 pmOne can say "He has been dead since December 5", but it feels awkward to talk that way.
I feel no awkwardness in that expression whatsoever. Zero.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

My guess is that it means that the names were written from the beginning of the world, not that the lamb was slain already from the beginning of the world.

There are plenty of times in Greek, Hebrew, and English, when meanings are ambiguous and it isn't clear from the grammar what noun or verb a phrase applies to. In those cases, the meaning is better deduced from the author's most likely sense. I am finding that this comes up in Josephus' writings occasionally (I am reading them at the moment). He sometimes uses long sentences and he starts sentences sometimes with pronouns that may or may not modify the preceding male noun.

Take for example: "My brother always drops his cousin off at school in the morning. And he always thanks him." From the grammar alone, it isn't clear who "he" refers to. "He" could refer to either of the two preceding male nouns. But it makes sense that the cousin would be thanking my brother.

In the sentence in Greek in Revelation 13:8, it isn't clear what the underlined phrase modifies: And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

However, we know from Revelation 17:8 that the writer pays attention to the apocalyptic experiences of the people "whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world":
"The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is."

No reference comes to mind in the Bible clearly specifying that chronologically, the lamb was slain already from the world's beginning. Absent such an idea, I think that to solve the ambiguity, one would just go by the sense expressed in Rev. 17:8.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

This modern Christian is doing a mythicist claim without knowing it (!):

Revelation 13:6 describes Jesus as the "Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world.”

Could it be that Jesus was crucified and then resurrected on a cosmic cross before God spoke the universe into existence?

“World” is the English translation for the Greek word “cosmos." Jesus was the Lamb slain before the creation of the cosmos. Sometimes, "cosmos" is translated as "universe."

Notice that He was slain "from" or "before" the creation of the cosmos.
https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.crosswa ... ml%3famp=1

If today, why not yersteday?
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

In ancient Mideastern mythologies isn't it common for the universe to come into existence as a consequence of (or effectively being made out of) the slaying or splitting open of some form of god-like creature, immediately following the culmination of a great battle between the gods?

Does that sound like being slain from the foundation of the world?
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

rakovsky wrote: ↑Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 pm
One can say "He has been dead since December 5", but it feels awkward to talk that way.
No awkwardness when using "dead" instead of "slain".
But "He has been slain since December 5" is awkward.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Bernard Muller wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm
rakovsky wrote: ↑Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:14 pm
One can say "He has been dead since December 5", but it feels awkward to talk that way.
No awkwardness when using "dead" instead of "slain".
But "He has been slain since December 5" is awkward.
Just as awkard as the words of Sallustus are about Attis'death:
"an eternal cosmic process, not an isolated event in the past"
(On Gods and the World, 9)".

And Attis died in the sublunar realm, according to Julian. And he was called Logos.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 pmAnd Attis died in the sublunar realm, according to Julian. And he was called Logos.
Abraham Lincoln died in the sublunar realm, too. Sublunar = under the moon. Earth is part of the sublunar realm.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 pm
Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 pmAnd Attis died in the sublunar realm, according to Julian. And he was called Logos.
Abraham Lincoln died in the sublunar realm, too. Sublunar = under the moon. Earth is part of the sublunar realm.
I don't think that your irony is meant to be offensive, Ben. It seems that for you the fact that there is no a specific name to refer to the region between the earth and the moon is a serious defect of the Doherty's theory.
I don't understand why.

Julian called the place of the death of Attis ''the extreme ends of the earth'', if I remember well. Do you think that the term is not sufficient?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Giuseppe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pmJulian called the place of the death of Attis ''the extreme ends of the earth'', if I remember well. Do you think that the term is not sufficient?
I am responding to this without looking up the citation. But ''the extreme ends of the earth'' would be on the earth, of course, just as "the extreme ends of the table" would be on the table.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ