Was Mark 8:22-25 written in reaction to Marcion?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Was Mark 8:22-25 written in reaction to Marcion?

Post by Giuseppe »

Mark 8:22-25

22 They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. 23 He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man’s eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, “Do you see anything?”

24 He looked up and said, “I see people; they look like trees walking around.”

25 Once more Jesus put his hands on the man’s eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly

Often I hear that this passage was not remembered by both Luke and Matthew because it was embarrassing for them not only the first failure of Jesus but also the rather primitive use of a shamanic practice of healing, one that does use of mere matter etc.

But I read this by Choucoud:

The faith of this pagan is that the Logos of Jesus operates from a distance, like a messenger. Unlike the god of the Jews, Jesus has no need of material media for working his miracles (T. 4:9).

(Creation of Christ, p.398, my bold)

Therefore it is founded the suspect that Mark introduced that episode against Marcion.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.