Marcion and Monarchia

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Marcion and Monarchia

Post by Secret Alias »

You are an apologists for Marcion, I got that.
Allow me one derogatory statement. How can I be an apologist(s) for Marcion when all the Marcionophiles accuse me of heresy? No I am not an apologists for Marcion. My interest in Marcion is twofold:

1. I am fascinated by the development of early Christianity and as Marcionism seems to have had 'the earliest canon' it is important to study Marcionism or Marcion
2. I don't think that most scholars understand or nuance the early Patristic reports about Marcion. They assume that because Judaism was monotheist or monarchian that the attack against Marcion can be read in a straightforward manner. In other words, 'Marcion hated the god of the Jews.' But that's not what the Church Fathers say for the most part. It's just a way of 'making sense' of the material viz. it is a product of the limited intellect or limited depth of knowledge of most scholars.

So let's move on:
But what is your source for what Marcion considered normative Judaism before the war?
Ok I am going to lose it here. Why do ask such a stupid question? What is MY SOURCE for what Marcion considered normative? I don't know what to do with your question. The question isn't what did Marcion consider - i.e. it's not about Marcion - it's about Judaism. What evidence do we have for what Judaism was in the second century or even the first century for that matter? We know that from the earliest Samaritan sources and reports about a second god or angel, we know from the earliest Jewish commentary on Exodus, we know from a plain reading (= R Ishmael) of the original text of Exodus, we know from a plain understanding of the use of names (viz. Elohim and Yahweh) and the earliest Jewish account of how those names were used (Philo) that the religion of the Pentateuch had at least two gods. In other words, all the strongest evidence supports a binary godhead.

The fact that the surviving tradition cites sources favorable to its position that there is only one god of Israel does not dispute this POV. We should expect that if there was a Judaism survived down to our times as a ritualized worship of homosexuality for instance that it would cite interpretations supporting that position. For instance if the Donmeh in Izmir were the only Jews left on the planet owing to some massive successful extermination of Jews we could simply start from the Donmeh and project their rather idiosyncratic beliefs back on to the Jews of the Common Era. As silly as this argument might seem it is amazing how modern Judaism with its idiosyncratic behavior (most notably the sanctity of the temple, gemara etc) dominates the picture of how 'life must have been like' for Jews or what Jewish culture must have been like in the Common Era.

To this end we have to start not with what the neo-rabbinic tradition TELLS US Judaism was like or what Judaism is but rather what the Pentateuch and only the Pentateuch tells us what Judaism is, was and always should be - and that is an ancient veneration of two gods mostly closely paralleled in the Persian religion at the time of the writing of the Pentateuch viz. Mitra and Ahura Mazda.

As I understand it the schema was one god residing in the highest heavens and only being heard as a voice and another god walking and behaving like an anthropomorphic entity 'in whose image and likeness' Adam was formed and who was seen by the ancient Israelites on Sinai. This is the obvious and only starting point for understanding the Pentateuch. There can be no real debate about this other than for the purpose of aligning research along post-Common Era 'orthodoxies' for the sake of preserving their sanctity and authority and moreover denying the obvious - viz. that these orthodoxies were the result of Imperial efforts to bring all religions in line with monarchianism in the late second and early third centuries as demonstrated by Brent in his exhaustive (and mostly ignored) research.
As far as my sources, I understand Christians and Jews before the war were still in agreement with Deuteronomy 6:4 and Mark 12:29.
So the only way of interpreting the Shema is that 'Yahweh' and 'Elohim' are different names describing the same underlying monotheistic divinity? How do you reconcile that with our earliest Jewish exegete being Philo of Alexandria? Was he just too stupid to see the self-evident nature of what your point or is it the other way around?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

And while it is isn't pertinent necessarily to this discussion אֶחָֽד in the context of Deuteronomy 6:4 is properly read 'alone' rather than 'one.' It is properly understood as a call for the uniqueness of Yahweh not that he is the only God.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

The point is that also Celsus talks about Christians who hate the god of the Jews. He is an independent source from a (otherwise presumed) Catholic defamation of heretics.
It is impossible to think that the Catholic forgers put on the mouth of Celsus his objective description of haters of the god of Jews.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The point is that also Celsus talks about Christians who hate the god of the Jews
We should always cite WHAT THE SOURCE ACTUALLY SAYS - which you don't. And where did Celsus get this information? Undoubtedly from (orthodox) Christian sources. Not (never) as clear cut as you want to make it because you are indiscriminate with your use of sources (mostly hearsay or wacky nineteenth century 'retelling' of these sources).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

The problem with you and other mythicists is that you see the evidence as a means to an end - viz. 'getting your point made' rather than actual interest in what is possible FROM the source material. Once you consider how information CAN be interpreted and listing or referencing them in your head you start to see how pointless it is to simply use source material to further pre-existent and modern agendas. The sources are never straightforward or as straightforward as you want or pretend them to be.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

But Celsus is rather explicit about his true direct knowledge of real marcionites:

Let no one suppose that I am ignorant that some of them will concede that their God is the same as that of the Jews, while others will maintain that he is a different one, to whom the latter is in opposition, and that it was from the former that the Son came.
(V,61)

Celsus is answering directly to you, Secret Alias.

Let no Secret Alias suppose that I am ignorant that some of them will concede that their God is the same as that of the Jews, while others will maintain that he is a different one, to whom the latter is in opposition, and that it was from the former that the Son came.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

It is clear that Celsus is for your theory what the Testimonium Flavianum would be for mythicists if it was at least partially authentic. But the Celsus quoted above IS AUTHENTIC!!!
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Really:

Let no one suppose that I am ignorant that some of them will concede that their God is the same as that of the Jews, while others will maintain that he is a different one, to whom the latter is in opposition, and that it was from the former that the Son came.

So you take this as Celsus having DIRECT CONTACT or knowledge of many different groups of Christians in an age where he says (a) they are a secret society and (b) that being a Christian is a capital offence. You don't examine evidence rationally or contextually.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Clearly Celsus is reproducing a report from the 'great Church' about the existence of numerous heresies. His knowledge of those maintain the Christian god (= the Father) is different from the Jewish god is from a source like or explicitly identified as Irenaeus. And what does Celsus really say that isn't true. Did the Jews in the period identify Yahweh as the god seen on Sinai - yes. We know this from the earliest Jewish commentaries on Exodus (where the two powers controversy is explicitly referenced). But who was speaking from heaven? In heretical (Christian) terms, the one speaking from heaven was the Father. From the POV of Mark chapter 10 Jesus says 'that's the good God.' If we call crawl our way back through (a) Celsus and (b) his source = Irenaeus back to (c) the heretics who do not accept their god the Father as being equal to Yahweh, yes everything makes sense. Those who emphasize another 'good God' besides Jesus/Yawheh Celsus's assumptions derive from an orthodox source but diverge from reality to parody (cf the two gods using two sons in a cockfight) because he is not actually out in the world meeting and greeting all the different persecuted Christian sects.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Again I want to emphasize that you can't just say 'witness X' supports my interpretation without doing the proper ground work. We don't have Celsus's original report only Origen's reaction to it (and likely not even Origen's reaction but Origen's reaction reworked by Eusebius who has a consistent interest in Celsus throughout his writing even if it is not explicit). Without that 'firsthand context' you can't be sure where Celsus is drawing his source information from in most cases. But the parallels with Irenaeus are noteworthy as his echo of Justin Martyr.