Didn't Know This Was Controversial - Schools Get Rid of BC and AD

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
iskander

Re: Didn't Know This Was Controversial - Schools Get Rid of BC and AD

Post by iskander »

Ulan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 am
iskander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 am Common era is an arrogant and imprecise statement
It's definitely not imprecise, and I do not necessarily see any arrogance behind the statement. It's the common calendar that is used in business and science all over the world. It's a de facto standard, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.
2017 CE counting from?
2017 Common to Chinese , Jews ...?
2017 AD is both humble and precise.
CE , As an ' Esperanto calendar' is fine ; it is as using American English in computers
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

I wonder why Steve Mason's book is titled A history of the Jewish War, AD 66-74? He also uses A.D. and B.C. throughout the text, too.

I was surprised to find that usage in a 2016 scholarly work published by Cambridge University Press. (He also used BC and AD in his 1992 Josephus and the New Testament published by Hendrickson.)

Mason doesn't strike me as the sort of scholar who is determined to express his faith in details like that. But his 2016 work does appear to be out of step with his A.D. and B.C. usage -- and not only AD and BC but A dot D dot and B dot C dot.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Steve Mason is a one of the good ones. Sometimes an AD is just an AD.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Paul E.

Post by Paul E. »

Secret Alias wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:15 pm Piers Morgan is the editor of this paper and a Trumpite. They're always trying to stir up the old people.
No big deal, but Morgan edited the Mirror, not the Mail, but hasn't done so for years. The point holds, though.
Paul E.

Post by Paul E. »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:15 pm This is the perfect kind of issue for getting people riled up. There's no practical argument one way or another. It's just a couple letters that have interchangeable meanings. Choosing one or another can only be done on the basis of whom you want to please or displease.

I find that using AD / BC helps to keep some people from tuning out and shoving what they're reading in the "irredeemable liberal" bin.

I'd recommend that Christian apologists use CE / BCE for the same reason.
Yup. Should not be an issue either way, but the OUTRAGE! button is just too easy to press sometimes.
FransJVermeiren

Post by FransJVermeiren »

Regardless of any religious or other preference for or aversion against BC/AD or BCE/CE, I believe there is an important chronological argument in favor of the BCE/CE option.

Jesus’ date of birth is not mentioned in the oldest gospel (Mark). Matthew places it in the last days of Herod (4 BCE) and Luke in the time of the census under Quirinius (6 CE). These 4 BCE / 6 CE events have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus but are significant landmarks of the beginning period of the revolutionary Zealot movement that devised Christianity. My research has shown that Jesus was not active around 30 CE but during the war against the Romans four decades later. The only significant allusion to his age is to be found in the gospel of John 8:57: ‘The Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and you have seen Abraham?” ’ If Jesus was almost 50 years old in het late 60’s of the first century CE, he must have been born around 20 CE.

With a 20 year gap between the beginning of the AD era and the birth of Jesus son of Saphat (who is the Jesus of the gospels), which is the effect of major chronological fraud committed by the gospel writers, the BC/AD designation should be abandoned. BCE/BE is a neutral and therefore much more appropriate designation of the Western calendar system.
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

I'm not sure how you turned the BC/AD chronology question into support for your pet theory but here we are.
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
iskander

Post by iskander »

FransJVermeiren wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:44 am Regardless of any religious or other preference for or aversion against BC/AD or BCE/CE, I believe there is an important chronological argument in favor of the BCE/CE option.

Jesus’ date of birth is not mentioned in the oldest gospel (Mark). Matthew places it in the last days of Herod (4 BCE) and Luke in the time of the census under Quirinius (6 CE). These 4 BCE / 6 CE events have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus but are significant landmarks of the beginning period of the revolutionary Zealot movement that devised Christianity. My research has shown that Jesus was not active around 30 CE but during the war against the Romans four decades later. The only significant allusion to his age is to be found in the gospel of John 8:57: ‘The Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and you have seen Abraham?” ’ If Jesus was almost 50 years old in het late 60’s of the first century CE, he must have been born around 20 CE.

With a 20 year gap between the beginning of the AD era and the birth of Jesus son of Saphat (who is the Jesus of the gospels), which is the effect of major chronological fraud committed by the gospel writers, the BC/AD designation should be abandoned. BCE/BE is a neutral and therefore much more appropriate designation of the Western calendar system.
It does not matter when the exact date of the birth of Jesus is. The beginning of a new era is dated when the change has been consolidated. The year one AD is taken as the beginning of the Christian era 2017 years ago, precisely .

" Accuracy and Precision:

Accuracy refers to the closeness of a measured value to a standard or known value. For example, if in lab you obtain a weight measurement of 3.2 kg for a given substance, but the actual or known weight is 10 kg, then your measurement is not accurate. In this case, your measurement is not close to the known value.
Precision refers to the closeness of two or more measurements to each other. Using the example above, if you weigh a given substance five times, and get 3.2 kg each time, then your measurement is very precise. Precision is independent of accuracy. You can be very precise but inaccurate, as described above. You can also be accurate but imprecise."
https://projects.ncsu.edu/labwrite/Expe ... cision.htm

The date of birth was fixed by an educated guess.
Heuristic
"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Heuristic (disambiguation).
A heuristic technique (/hjuːˈrɪstɪk/; Ancient Greek: εὑρίσκω, "find" or "discover"), often called simply a heuristic, is any approach to problem solving, learning, or discovery that employs a practical method not guaranteed to be optimal or perfect, but sufficient for the immediate goals. Where finding an optimal solution is impossible or impractical, heuristic methods can be used to speed up the process of finding a satisfactory solution. Heuristics can be mental shortcuts that ease the cognitive load of making a decision. Examples of this method include using a rule of thumb, an educated guess, an intuitive judgment, guesstimate, stereotyping, profiling, or common sense."

The year one means only the beginning of the new exiting reality.

"Pope Benedict XVI has revealed in the third installment of his trilogy, dedicated to the life of Christ, that Jesus may have been born earlier than previously thought. The calendar we use today, which commences with the birth of Christ and was created by a Dionysius Exiguus, a 6th century monk, may be mistaken"
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/22/pop ... -of-birth/