Deconstructed Letters of Paulos

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jax

Re: Deconstructed Letters of Paulos

Post by Jax »

Yeah! Mom's da bomb! :D
bartwillruth

Post by bartwillruth »

I'm still working on your take on the breaks in Philippians. 4:10 seems to be an apparent break point, but v 11 doesn't look like the beginning of a new communication to me. Rather, it would appear that 4:9 ends one letter, then there is something missing between that and 4:10, perhaps an introduction. I would think that either a page is lost, or the missing page has been incorporated into another letter.

All the oldest manuscripts are in codex format*. Since codices were meant to be easily disassembled, I would really surmise that this happened here; that someone reassembled the pages out of order as though they were one, but during the period of disassembly, a section was lost or tacked on somewhere else where it didn't belong. In that case, there would have been 2 letters.

*It should be kept in mind that the codex was invented ca 50's BCE by the legions for quick communication and dispatches between commanders. Their sections could be easily combined or disassembled for distribution. It is a matter of curiosity as to why the codex would have been utilized outside of a military setting since its use remained almost exclusively that of the legions for centuries while the scroll format remained the primary format for all other writings.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

bartwillruth wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:26 am I'm still working on your take on the breaks in Philippians. 4:10 seems to be an apparent break point, but v 11 doesn't look like the beginning of a new communication to me. Rather, it would appear that 4:9 ends one letter, then there is something missing between that and 4:10, perhaps an introduction. I would think that either a page is lost, or the missing page has been incorporated into another letter.

All the oldest manuscripts are in codex format*. Since codices were meant to be easily disassembled, I would really surmise that this happened here; that someone reassembled the pages out of order as though they were one, but during the period of disassembly, a section was lost or tacked on somewhere else where it didn't belong. In that case, there would have been 2 letters.

*It should be kept in mind that the codex was invented ca 50's BCE by the legions for quick communication and dispatches between commanders. Their sections could be easily combined or disassembled for distribution. It is a matter of curiosity as to why the codex would have been utilized outside of a military setting since its use remained almost exclusively that of the legions for centuries while the scroll format remained the primary format for all other writings.
It's unfortunate that the earliest example that we have, p46, is from the mid 2nd century leaving us having to speculate as to what the original form, codex or scroll, might have been.

You are probably right about a missing introduction between 4:9 and 4:10. Other letter breaks seem to have this as well.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

What I do find interesting is that the other letters in Marcion's collection that are not deemed authentic to Paul, Colossians etc, as well as later letters like the Pastorals, seem not to be compilations of smaller letters. This would seem to indicate that someone compiled the letters before Marcion acquired them.

The exception to this is, imo, Galatians.
bartwillruth

Post by bartwillruth »

Perhaps the letters to the Colossians, Ephesians, and 2 Thess were written in Paul's name... forgeries by Marcion himself. Read through Colossians again. There are the themes of light and darkness and an emphasis on the mystery long held, but now revealed. It sounds like Marcion's concept of the previously unknown god.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

lclapshaw wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:32 pm What I do find interesting is that the other letters in Marcion's collection that are not deemed authentic to Paul, Colossians etc, as well as later letters like the Pastorals, seem not to be compilations of smaller letters. This would seem to indicate that someone compiled the letters before Marcion acquired them.
  • Might it not indicate they were written during Marcion's time, as definitive works pertaining to theology then?

(which might fit with Robert M Price's proposals in his 2012 The Amazing Colossal Apostle that, while a Paul wrote some of the letters, some were written in Marcion's time by Marcion, Polycarp, and maybe others.)
And which might fit with your latest post -
bartwillruth wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:47 pm Perhaps the letters to the Colossians, Ephesians, and 2 Thess were ... forgeries by Marcion himself. Read through Colossians again. There are the themes of light and darkness and an emphasis on the mystery long held, but now revealed. It sounds like Marcion's concept of the previously unknown god.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

MrMacSon wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:16 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:32 pm What I do find interesting is that the other letters in Marcion's collection that are not deemed authentic to Paul, Colossians etc, as well as later letters like the Pastorals, seem not to be compilations of smaller letters. This would seem to indicate that someone compiled the letters before Marcion acquired them.
  • Might it not indicate they were written during Marcion's time, as definitive works pertaining to theology then?

(which might fit with Robert M Price's proposals in his 2012 The Amazing Colossal Apostle that, while a Paul wrote some of the letters, some were written in Marcion's time by Marcion, Polycarp, and maybe others.)
And which might fit with your latest post
bartwillruth wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:47 pm Perhaps the letters to the Colossians, Ephesians, and 2 Thess were ... forgeries by Marcion himself. Read through Colossians again. There are the themes of light and darkness and an emphasis on the mystery long held, but now revealed. It sounds like Marcion's concept of the previously unknown god.
I fear that you have me mixed up with bartwillruth. I used to post under a different user name but that was Jax, I have simply now started posting with my real name, Lane Clapshaw.

As to Marcion etc, I hesitate to speculate when and under what conditions the 'non-authentic' letters were written and am content at this time to simply note their apparent differences with the 'authentic' letters. Simply as a means of distinguishing the two sets.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

lclapshaw wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:04 am I fear that you have me mixed up with bartwillruth. I used to post under a different user name but that was Jax, I have simply now started posting with my real name, Lane Clapshaw.
Hah! I gotta stop posting before coffee or too late at night

Try

... which might fit with Bart's [then latest] post
bartwillruth wrote: Perhaps the letters to the Colossians, Ephesians, and 2 Thess were ... forgeries by Marcion himself. Read through Colossians again. There are the themes of light and darkness and an emphasis on the mystery long held, but now revealed. It sounds like Marcion's concept of the previously unknown god.
Anyway, thanks for the answer:
lclapshaw wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:04 am As to Marcion, etc., I hesitate to speculate when and under what conditions the 'non-authentic' letters were written and am content at this time to simply note their apparent differences with the 'authentic' letters. Simply as a means of distinguishing the two sets.
I wasn't just referring to a two-set division of the Pauline letters, but no worries.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

I wasn't just referring to a two-set division of the Pauline letters, but no worries.
I could be a little more clear myself. Sets is perhaps inaccurate as what I mean is letters that seem to be composed of smaller letters that correspond to what are considered authentic to Paul and letters that seem not to be comprised of smaller letters that are in question of being not original to Paul. Letters like 1 and 2 Corinthians etc seem to be made up of smaller letters and have more support for being original to the author who calls himself Paulos while letters like Ephesians and Colossians do not seem to be collections of smaller letters and are less agreed on as being original to Paul.

Not being composed of smaller letters might be one indication that a letters was not originally written by Paul.

Just my 2 cents.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Hey all, I have decided to update the letters here based on what I have learned since. I will be contributing the letters in a Greek interlinear form in segments as described here viewtopic.php?p=100479#p100479

Here is what I intend to post...

1 Corinthians 1:1-4:21. Without 1:2 and 2:6-16 and 4:6c and 4:17
1 Corinthians 5:1-6:11
1 Corinthians 6:12- 8:13. Without 6:14 and 7:29-31
1 Corinthians 9
1 Corinthians 10:23-16:24. Without 11:3-16 and 11:23-28 and 12:31b-14:1a and 14:33b-35 and 15:3-11 and 15:21-22 and 15:31b and 15:44b-48 and 15:56

2 Corinthians 1:1-2:13 and 7:5-16.
2 Corinthians 2:14-7:4. Without 6:14-7:1
2 Corinthians 8:1-24
2 Corinthians 9:1-15
2 Corinthians 10-13

1 Thessalonians 2:17-3:13
1 Thessalonians 1:1-2:12 and 4:9-5:28. Without 4:10b-12 and 4:18-5:22 and 5:27

Philippians 1:1-3:1. Without 2:5-11
Philippians 3:2-4:9
Philippians 4:10-23

Romans 1:1-15:33 Without 1:18-2:29 and 3:12-18 and 3:24-26 and 4 and 5:1 and 5:6-7 and 5:12-21 and 6:13 and 6:17 and 6:19 and 7:6 and 7:25b-8:1 and 8:9-11 and 9-11 and 12:11 and 13:1-7 and 14:6 and 15:4

Romans 16? Without 16:5 and 16:25-27

Today I will start with 1 Corinthians Letter 1 ( 1 Corinthians 1:1-4:21. Without 1:2 and 2:6-16 and 4:6c and 4:17 )

I will then add additional letters as I have time. I welcome all critique and advice. Thank you.

1 Corinthians Letter 1
1 Παῦλος (Paulos), κλητὸς (a called) ἀπόστολος (messenger) XC IC διὰ (by the) θελήματος (will) ΘC
(of God), καὶ (and) Σωσθένης (Sosthenes), ὁ (the) ἀδελφὸς (brother),
3 Χάρις (Gift) ὑμῖν (to you) καὶ (and) εἰρήνη (peace) ἀπὸ (from) ΘC (God) Πατρὸς (Father) ἡμῶν (of
us) καὶ (and) ΚC (Lord) IC XC.
4 Εὐχαριστῶ (I thank) τῷ (the) ΘC (God) ‹μου› (of me) πάντοτε (always) περὶ (concerning) ὑμῶν (you)
ἐπὶ (for) τῇ (the) χάριτι (Gift) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God) τῇ (-) δοθείσῃ (having been given) ὑμῖν (you) ἐν (in)
XC IC,
5 ὅτι (that) ἐν (in) παντὶ (everything) ἐπλουτίσθητε (you have been enriched) ἐν (in) αὐτῷ (Him), ἐν
(in) παντὶ (all) λόγῳ (speech) καὶ (and) πάσῃ (all) γνώσει (knowledge),
6 καθὼς (as) τὸ (the) μαρτύριον (testimony) τοῦ (about) XC ἐβεβαιώθη (was confirmed) ἐν (in) ὑμῖν
(you),
7 ὥστε (so as for) ὑμᾶς (you) μὴ (not) ὑστερεῖσθαι (to be lacking) ἐν (in) μηδενὶ (not one) χαρίσματι
(gift), ἀπεκδεχομένους (eagerly awaiting) τὴν (the) ἀποκάλυψιν (revelation) τοῦ (of the) KC (Lord)
ἡμῶν (of us) IC XC,
8 ὃς (who) καὶ (also) βεβαιώσει (will sustain) ὑμᾶς (you) ἕως (to the) τέλους (end), ἀνεγκλήτους
(blameless) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) ἡμέρᾳ (day) τοῦ (of the) KC (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) IC XC.
9 πιστὸς (Faithful is) ὁ (-) ΘC (God), δι’ (by) οὗ (whom) ἐκλήθητε (you were called) εἰς (into)
κοινωνίαν (fellowship) τοῦ (with the) Υἱοῦ (Son) αὐτοῦ (of Him), IC XC, τοῦ (the) KC (Lord) ἡμῶν
(of us).
10 Παρακαλῶ (I exhort) δὲ (now) ὑμᾶς (you), ἀδελφοί (brothers), διὰ (by) τοῦ (the) ὀνόματος (name)
τοῦ (of the) KC (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) IC XC, ἵνα (that) τὸ (the) αὐτὸ (same thing) λέγητε (you speak)
πάντες (all), καὶ (and) μὴ (not) ᾖ (there be) ἐν (among) ὑμῖν (you) σχίσματα (divisions); ἦτε (you may
be) δὲ (however) κατηρτισμένοι (having been knit together) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) αὐτῷ (same) νοῒ (mind) καὶ
(and) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) αὐτῇ (same) γνώμῃ (judgment).
11 ἐδηλώθη (It was shown) γάρ (for) μοι (to me) περὶ (concerning) ὑμῶν (you), ἀδελφοί (brothers) μου
(of me), ὑπὸ (by) τῶν (those) Χλόης (of Chloes), ὅτι (that) ἔριδες (quarrels) ἐν (among) ὑμῖν (you)
εἰσιν (there are).
12 λέγω (I mean) δὲ (now) τοῦτο (this), ὅτι (that) ἕκαστος (each) ὑμῶν (of you) λέγει (says), “Ἐγὼ (I)
μέν (indeed) εἰμι (am) Παύλου (of Paulos),” “Ἐγὼ (I) δὲ (and) Ἀπολλῶ (of Apollos),” “Ἐγὼ (I) δὲ
(and) Κηφᾶ (of Kepha),”a “Ἐγὼ (I) δὲ (and) XC.”
13 Μεμέρισται (Has been divided) ὁ (-) XC? μὴ (Not) Παῦλος (Paulos) ἐσταυρώθη (stake punished
punished) ὑπὲρ (for) ὑμῶν (you)? ἢ (Or) εἰς (into) τὸ (the) ὄνομα (name) Παύλου (of Paulos)
ἐβαπτίσθητε (were you baptized)?
14 εὐχαριστῶ (I thank) [τῷ (-) ΘC] (God) ὅτι (that) οὐδένα (no one) ὑμῶν (of you) ἐβάπτισα (I
baptized), εἰ (if) μὴ (not) Κρίσπον (Krispon) καὶ (and) Γάϊον (Gaion),
15 ἵνα (so that) μή (not) τις (anyone) εἴπῃ (should say) ὅτι (that) εἰς (into) τὸ (-) ἐμὸν (my) ὄνομα
(name) ἐβαπτίσθητε (you were baptized).
16 ἐβάπτισα (I baptized) δὲ (now) καὶ (also) τὸν (the) Στεφανᾶ (of Stephana) οἶκον (household);
λοιπὸν (as to the rest), οὐκ (not) οἶδα (I know) εἴ (whether) τινα (any) ἄλλον (other) ἐβάπτισα (I
baptized).
17 οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) ἀπέστειλέν (sent) με (me) XC βαπτίζειν (to baptize), ἀλλὰ (but) εὐαγγελίζεσθαι
(Announcement), οὐκ (not) ἐν (in) σοφίᾳ (wisdom) λόγου (of discourse), ἵνα (that) μὴ (not) κενωθῇ (be
emptied of power) ὁ (the) σταυρὸς (stake punished) τοῦ (of the) XC.
18 Ὁ (The) λόγος (message) γὰρ (for) ὁ (-) τοῦ (of the) σταυροῦ (stake punished), τοῖς (to those)
μὲν (indeed) ἀπολλυμένοις (perishing) μωρία (foolishness) ἐστίν (is); τοῖς (those) δὲ (however)
σῳζομένοις (being saved), ἡμῖν (to us), δύναμις (power) ΘC (of God) ἐστιν (it is).
19 γέγραπται (It has been written) γάρ (for): “Ἀπολῶ (I will destroy) τὴν (the) σοφίαν (wisdom) τῶν
(of the) σοφῶν (wise), καὶ (and) τὴν (the) σύνεσιν (intelligence) τῶν (of the) συνετῶν (intelligent)
ἀθετήσω (I will frustrate).”
20 Ποῦ (Where is the) σοφός (wise)? ποῦ (Where the) γραμματεύς (scribe)? ποῦ (Where the)
συζητητὴς (debater) τοῦ (the) αἰῶνος (age) τούτου (of this)? οὐχὶ (Not) ἐμώρανεν (has made foolish) ὁ
(-) ΘC (God) τὴν (the) σοφίαν (wisdom) τοῦ (of the) κόσμου (cosmos)?
21 ἐπειδὴ (Since) γὰρ (for) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) σοφίᾳ (wisdom) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God), οὐκ (not) ἔγνω (knew)
ὁ (the) κόσμος (cosmos) διὰ (through) τῆς (the) σοφίας (wisdom) τὸν (-) ΘC (God), εὐδόκησεν (was
pleased) ὁ (-) ΘC (God), διὰ (through) τῆς (the) μωρίας (foolishness) τοῦ (of the) κηρύγματος
(proclamation), σῶσαι (to save) τοὺς (those) πιστεύοντας (believing).
22 Ἐπειδὴ (Seeing that) καὶ (both) Ἰουδαῖοι (Jews) σημεῖα (signs) αἰτοῦσιν (ask for), καὶ (and)
Ἕλληνες (Greeks) σοφίαν (wisdom) ζητοῦσιν (seek),
23 ἡμεῖς (we) δὲ (however) κηρύσσομεν (preach) XC ἐσταυρωμένον (stake punished), Ἰουδαίοις (to
the Jewish) μὲν (indeed) σκάνδαλον (a stumbling block), ἔθνεσιν (to Gentiles) δὲ (now) μωρίαν
(foolishness);
24 αὐτοῖς (to them) δὲ (however) τοῖς (the) κλητοῖς (called), Ἰουδαίοις (Jews) τε (both)
καὶ (and) Ἕλλησιν (Greeks), XC ΘC (God) δύναμιν (the power) καὶ (and) ΘC (of God) σοφίαν (the
wisdom).
25 Ὅτι (For) τὸ (the) μωρὸν (foolishness) τοῦ (-) ΘC (God) σοφώτερον (wiser) τῶν (-) ἀνθρώπων
(than men) ἐστίν (is), καὶ (and) τὸ (the) ἀσθενὲς (weakness) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God) ἰσχυρότερον
(stronger) τῶν (-) ἀνθρώπων (than men).
26 Βλέπετε (Consider) γὰρ (for) τὴν (the) κλῆσιν (calling) ὑμῶν (of you), ἀδελφοί (brothers), ὅτι (that)
οὐ (not) πολλοὶ (many) σοφοὶ (wise) κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (flesh were), οὐ (not) πολλοὶ (many)
δυνατοί (powerful), οὐ (not) πολλοὶ (many) εὐγενεῖς (of noble birth).
27 ἀλλὰ (But) τὰ (the) μωρὰ (foolish things) τοῦ (of the) κόσμου (cosmos) ἐξελέξατο (has chosen) ὁ (-)
ΘC (God) ἵνα (that) καταισχύνῃ (He might shame) τοὺς (the) σοφούς (wise); καὶ (and) τὰ (the)
ἀσθενῆ (weak things) τοῦ (of the) κόσμου (cosmos) ἐξελέξατο (chose) ὁ (-) ΘC (God) ἵνα (that)
καταισχύνῃ (He might shame) τὰ (the) ἰσχυρά (strong);
28 καὶ (and) τὰ (the) ἀγενῆ (low-born) τοῦ (of the) κόσμου (cosmos), καὶ (and) τὰ (the things)
ἐξουθενημένα (being despised), ἐξελέξατο (chose) ὁ (-) ΘC (God), (καὶ) (and) τὰ (the things) μὴ (not)
ὄντα (being), ἵνα (that) τὰ (the things) ὄντα (being) καταργήσῃ (He might annul),
29 ὅπως (so that) μὴ (not) καυχήσηται (might boast) πᾶσα (all) σὰρξ (flesh) ἐνώπιον (before) τοῦ (-)
ΘC (God).
30 Ἐξ (Out of) αὐτοῦ (Him) δὲ (however), ὑμεῖς (you) ἐστε (are) ἐν (in) XC IC, ὃς (who) ἐγενήθη (has
been made) σοφία (wisdom) ἡμῖν (unto us) ἀπὸ (from) ΘC (God), δικαιοσύνη (righteousness) τε (and)
καὶ (also) ἁγιασμὸς (sanctification) καὶ (and) ἀπολύτρωσις (redemption),
31 ἵνα (in order that), καθὼς (as) γέγραπται (it has been written): “Ὁ (The one) καυχώμενος (boasting),
ἐν (in the) KC (Lord) καυχάσθω (let him boast).”
2:1 Κἀγὼ (And I), ἐλθὼν (having come) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you), ἀδελφοί (brothers), ἦλθον (came) οὐ
(not) καθ’ (according to) ὑπεροχὴν (excellency) λόγου (of speech), ἢ (or) σοφίας (wisdom),
καταγγέλλων (proclaiming) ὑμῖν (to you) τὸ (the) μαρτύριον (testimony) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God).
2 οὐ (Nothing) γὰρ (for) ἔκρινά (I decided) τι (anything) εἰδέναι (to know) ἐν (among) ὑμῖν (you), εἰ
(if) μὴ (not) ICXC, καὶ (and) τοῦτον (Him) ἐσταυρωμένον (stake punished).
3 κἀγὼ (And I), ἐν (in) ἀσθενείᾳ (weakness), καὶ (and) ἐν (in) φόβῳ (fear), καὶ (and) ἐν (in) τρόμῳ
(trembling) πολλῷ (much), ἐγενόμην (was) πρὸς (with) ὑμᾶς (you).
4 καὶ (And) ὁ (the) λόγος (message) μου (of me) καὶ (and) τὸ (the) κήρυγμά (proclaim) μου (of me)
οὐκ (were not) ἐν (in) πειθοῖς (persuasive) σοφίας (of wisdom) λόγοις (words), ἀλλ’ (but) ἐν (in)
ἀποδείξει (demonstration) Πνεύματος (of the Spirit) καὶ (and) δυνάμεως (of power),
5 ἵνα (so that) ἡ (the) πίστις (faith) ὑμῶν (of you) μὴ (not) ᾖ (might be) ἐν (in) σοφίᾳ (wisdom)
ἀνθρώπων (of men), ἀλλ’ (but) ἐν (in) δυνάμει (power) ΘC (of God).
3:1 Κἀγώ (And I) ἀδελφοί (brothers) οὐκ (not) ἠδυνήθην (was able) λαλῆσαι (to speak) ὑμῖν (to you)
ὡς (as) πνευματικοῖς (to spiritual), ἀλλ’ (but) ὡς (as) σαρκίνοις (to fleshly), ὡς (as) νηπίοις (to infants)
ἐν (in) XC.
2 γάλα (Milk) ὑμᾶς (you) ἐπότισα (I gave to drink), οὐ (not) βρῶμα (solid food), οὔπω (not yet) γὰρ
(for) ἐδύνασθε (were you able). Ἀλλ’ (In fact), οὐδὲ (not) ἔτι (still) νῦν (now) δύνασθε (are you able); 3
ἔτι (still) γὰρ (for) σαρκικοί (fleshly) ἐστε (you are). ὅπου (Where) γὰρ (for) ἐν (are among) ὑμῖν (you)
ζῆλος (jealousy) καὶ (and) ἔρις (strife), οὐχὶ (not) σαρκικοί (fleshly) ἐστε (are you), καὶ (and) κατὰ
(according to) ἄνθρωπον (man) περιπατεῖτε (are walking)?
4 ὅταν (When) γὰρ (for) λέγῃ (might say) τις (one), “Ἐγὼ (I) μέν (indeed) εἰμι (am) Παύλου (of
Paulos),” ἕτερος (another) δέ (however), “Ἐγὼ (I) Ἀπολλῶ (of Apollo),” οὐκ (not) ἄνθρωποί (fleshly)
ἐστε (are you)?
5 Τί (Who) οὖν (then) ἐστιν (is) Ἀπολλῶς (Apollos)? τί (Who) δέ (now) ἐστιν (is) Παῦλος (Paulos)?
διάκονοι (Servants) δι’ (through) ὧν (whom) ἐπιστεύσατε (you believed), καὶ (also) ἑκάστῳ (to each)
ὡς (as) ὁ (the) KC (Lord) ἔδωκεν (has given)?
6 ἐγὼ (I) ἐφύτευσα (planted), Ἀπολλῶς (Apollos) ἐπότισεν (watered), ἀλλὰ (but) ὁ (-) ΘC (God)
ηὔξανεν (kept it growing).
7 ὥστε (So) οὔτε (neither) ὁ (the one) φυτεύων (planting) ἐστίν (is) τι (anything), οὔτε (nor)
ὁ (the one) ποτίζων (watering), ἀλλ’ (but only) ὁ (the One) αὐξάνων (giving growth)—
ΘC (God).
8 ὁ (The one) φυτεύων (planting) δὲ (now) καὶ (and) ὁ (the one) ποτίζων (watering), ἕν (one) εἰσιν
(are); ἕκαστος (each) δὲ (now) τὸν (the) ἴδιον (own) μισθὸν (reward) λήμψεται (will receive), κατὰ
(according to) τὸν (the) ἴδιον (own) κόπον (labor).
9 ΘC (Of God) γάρ (for) ἐσμεν (we are) συνεργοί (fellow workers); ΘC (God’s) γεώργιον (field), ΘC
(God’s) οἰκοδομή (building) ἐστε (you are).
10 Κατὰ (According to) τὴν (the) χάριν (Gift) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God) τὴν (-) δοθεῖσάν (having been given)
μοι (to me), ὡς (as) σοφὸς (a wise) ἀρχιτέκτων (master builder) θεμέλιον (the foundation) ἔθηκα (I
have laid); ἄλλος (another) δὲ (however) ἐποικοδομεῖ (is building upon it). ἕκαστος (Each one) δὲ
(however) βλεπέτω (let take heed) πῶς (how) ἐποικοδομεῖ (he builds upon it).
11 θεμέλιον (Foundation) γὰρ (for) ἄλλον (another), οὐδεὶς (no one) δύναται (is able) θεῖναι (to lay),
παρὰ (besides) τὸν (the one) κείμενον (being already laid), ὅς (which) ἐστιν (is) IC XC.
12 Εἰ (If) δέ (now) τις (anyone) ἐποικοδομεῖ (builds) ἐπὶ (upon) τὸν (the) θεμέλιον (foundation)
χρυσόν* (gold), ἄργυρον (silver), λίθους (stones) τιμίους (precious), ξύλα (wood), χόρτον (hay),
καλάμην (straw),
13 ἑκάστου (of each) τὸ (the) ἔργον (work) φανερὸν (manifest) γενήσεται (will become); ἡ (the) γὰρ
(for) ἡμέρα (day) δηλώσει (will disclose it), ὅτι (because) ἐν (in) πυρὶ (fire) ἀποκαλύπτεται (it is
revealed); καὶ (and) ἑκάστου (of each) τὸ (the) ἔργον (work), ὁποῖόν (what sort) ἐστιν (it is), τὸ (the)
πῦρ (fire) αὐτὸ (itself) δοκιμάσει (will prove).
14 εἴ (If) τινος (of anyone) τὸ (the) ἔργον (work) μενεῖ (will remain) ὃ (which) ἐποικοδόμησεν (he built
up), μισθὸν (a reward) λήμψεται (he will receive).
15 εἴ (If) τινος (of anyone) τὸ (the) ἔργον (work) κατακαήσεται (will be burned up),
ζημιωθήσεται (he will suffer loss); αὐτὸς (he himself) δὲ (however) σωθήσεται (will be saved), οὕτως
(so) δὲ (however) ὡς (as) διὰ (through) πυρός (fire).
16 Οὐκ (Not) οἴδατε (know you) ὅτι (that) ναὸς (temple) ΘC (of God)
ἐστε (you yourselves are), καὶ (and) τὸ (the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God)
«ἐν (in) ὑμῖν» (you) ⇔ οἰκεῖ (dwells)?
17 εἴ (If) τις (anyone) τὸν (the) ναὸν (temple) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God) φθείρει (destroys), φθερεῖ (will
destroy) τοῦτον (him) ὁ (-) ΘC (God); ὁ (-) γὰρ (for) ναὸς (the temple) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God) ἅγιός
(holy) ἐστιν (is), οἵτινές (which) ἐστε (are) ὑμεῖς (you).
18 Μηδεὶς (No one) ἑαυτὸν (himself) ἐξαπατάτω (let deceive); εἴ (if) τις (anyone) δοκεῖ (thinks
himself) σοφὸς (wise) εἶναι (to be) ἐν (among) ὑμῖν (you) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) αἰῶνι (age) τούτῳ (this),
μωρὸς (foolish) γενέσθω (let him become), ἵνα (so that) γένηται (he may become) σοφός (wise).
19 ἡ (The) γὰρ (for) σοφία (wisdom) τοῦ (of the) κόσμου (cosmos) τούτου (this), μωρία (foolishness)
παρὰ (with) τῷ (-) ΘC (God) ἐστιν (is). γέγραπται (It has been written) γάρ (for): “Ὁ (He is the One)
δρασσόμενος (catching) τοὺς (the) σοφοὺς (wise) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) πανουργίᾳ (craftiness) αὐτῶν (of
them).”
20 καὶ (And) πάλιν (again), “KC (Lord) γινώσκει (knows) τοὺς (the) διαλογισμοὺς (thoughts) τῶν (of
the) σοφῶν (wise), ὅτι (that) εἰσὶν (they are) μάταιοι (futile).”
21 Ὥστε (Therefore) μηδεὶς (no one) καυχάσθω (let boast) ἐν (in) ἀνθρώποις (men). πάντα (All
things) γὰρ (for) ὑμῶν (of you) ἐστιν (are),
22 εἴτε (whether) Παῦλος (Paulos), εἴτε (or) Ἀπολλῶς (Apollos), εἴτε (or) Κηφᾶς (Cephas), εἴτε (or the)
κόσμος (cosmos), εἴτε (or) ζωὴ (life), εἴτε (or) θάνατος (death), εἴτε (or) ἐνεστῶτα (things present),
εἴτε (or) μέλλοντα (things to come)— πάντα (all) ὑμῶν (yours),
23 ὑμεῖς (you) δὲ (now) XC, XC δὲ (now) ΘC (of God).
4:1 Οὕτως (So) ἡμᾶς (us), λογιζέσθω (let regard) ἄνθρωπος (a man) ὡς (as) ὑπηρέτας (servants) XC
καὶ (and) οἰκονόμους (stewards) μυστηρίων (of the mysteries) ΘC (of God).
2 ὧδε (In this case) λοιπὸν (moreover), ζητεῖται (it is required) ἐν (in) τοῖς (the) οἰκονόμοις (stewards),
ἵνα (that) πιστός (faithful) τις (one) εὑρεθῇ (shall be found).
3 Ἐμοὶ (Me) δὲ (however) εἰς (to) ἐλάχιστόν (the smallest matter) ἐστιν (it is), ἵνα (that) ὑφ’ (by) ὑμῶν
(you) ἀνακριθῶ (I be examined), ἢ (or) ὑπὸ (by) ἀνθρωπίνης (a human) ἡμέρας (court). ἀλλ’ (In fact)
οὐδὲ (neither) ἐμαυτὸν (myself) ἀνακρίνω (do I examine).
4 οὐδὲν (Nothing) γὰρ (for) ἐμαυτῷ (against myself) σύνοιδα (I am conscious of), ἀλλ’ (yet) οὐκ (not)
ἐν (by) τούτῳ (this) δεδικαίωμαι (have I been justified); ὁ (the One) δὲ (however) ἀνακρίνων (judging)
με (me) ΚC (Lord) ἐστιν (is).
5 Ὥστε (So then), μὴ (not) πρὸ (before the) καιροῦ (time) τι (anything) κρίνετε (judge), ἕως (until) ἂν
(-) ἔλθῃ (shall have come) ὁ (the) KC (Lord), ὃς (who) καὶ (both) φωτίσει (will bring to light) τὰ (the)
κρυπτὰ (hidden things) τοῦ (-) σκότους (of darkness), καὶ (and) φανερώσει (will make manifest) τὰς
(the) βουλὰς (motives) τῶν (of the) καρδιῶν (hearts); καὶ (and) τότε (then) ὁ (the) ἔπαινος (praise)
γενήσεται (will come) ἑκάστῳ (to each) ἀπὸ (from) τοῦ (-) ΘC (God).
6 Ταῦτα (These things) δέ (now), ἀδελφοί (brothers), μετεσχημάτισα (I have applied) εἰς (to) ἐμαυτὸν
(myself) καὶ (and) Ἀπολλῶν (Apollon) δι’ (on account of) ὑμᾶς (you), ἵνα (so that) ἐν (in) ἡμῖν (us)
μάθητε (you may learn) τό (-), “Μὴ (not) ὑπὲρ (beyond) ἃ (what) γέγραπται (has been written),”
7 τίς (Who) γάρ (for) σε (you) διακρίνει (makes different)? τί (What) δὲ (now)
ἔχεις (have you) ὃ (which) οὐκ (not) ἔλαβες (you did receive)? εἰ (If) δὲ (now) καὶ (also)
ἔλαβες (you did receive it), τί (why) καυχᾶσαι (boast you) ὡς (as) μὴ (not) λαβών (having received it)?
8 ἤδη (Already) κεκορεσμένοι (satiated) ἐστέ (you are); ἤδη (already) ἐπλουτήσατε (you have been
enriched); χωρὶς (apart from) ἡμῶν (us) ἐβασιλεύσατε (you reigned), καὶ (and) ὄφελόν (I wish that) γε
(really) ἐβασιλεύσατε (you did reign), ἵνα (so that) καὶ (also) ἡμεῖς (we) ὑμῖν (you) συμβασιλεύσωμεν*
(might reign with).
9 δοκῶ (I think) γάρ (for), ὁ (-) ΘC (God) ἡμᾶς (us) τοὺς (-) ἀποστόλους (apostles) ἐσχάτους (last)
ἀπέδειξεν (has exhibited), ὡς (as) ἐπιθανατίους (appointed to death), ὅτι (because) θέατρον (a
spectacle) ἐγενήθημεν (we have become) τῷ (to the) κόσμῳ (cosmos), καὶ (both)
ἀγγέλοις (to messengers) καὶ (and) ἀνθρώποις (to men).
10 Ἡμεῖς (We) μωροὶ (are fools) διὰ (on account of) ΧC, ὑμεῖς (you) δὲ (however) φρόνιμοι (wise) ἐν
(in) XC; ἡμεῖς (we) ἀσθενεῖς (weak), ὑμεῖς (you) δὲ (however) ἰσχυροί (strong); ὑμεῖς (You) ἔνδοξοι
(honored), ἡμεῖς (we) δὲ (however) ἄτιμοι (without honor).
11 ἄχρι (As far as) τῆς (the) ἄρτι (present) ὥρας (hour), καὶ (both) πεινῶμεν (we hunger) καὶ (and)
διψῶμεν (thirst), καὶ (and) γυμνιτεύομεν (are poorly clad), καὶ (and) κολαφιζόμεθα (are buffeted), καὶ
(and) ἀστατοῦμεν (wander homeless),
12 καὶ (and) κοπιῶμεν (we toil), ἐργαζόμενοι (working) ταῖς (with our) ἰδίαις (own) χερσίν (hands).
λοιδορούμενοι (Being reviled), εὐλογοῦμεν (we bless); διωκόμενοι (being persecuted (put to flight?)),
ἀνεχόμεθα (we endure);
13 δυσφημούμενοι (being slandered), παρακαλοῦμεν (we entreat). ὡς (As) περικαθάρματα (the scum)
τοῦ (of the) κόσμου (cosmos) ἐγενήθημεν (we have become), πάντων (of all the) περίψημα (refuse),
ἕως (until) ἄρτι (now).
14 Οὐκ (Not) ἐντρέπων (shaming) ὑμᾶς (you) γράφω (do I write) ταῦτα (these things), ἀλλ’ (but) ὡς
(as) τέκνα (children) μου (my) ἀγαπητὰ (beloved), νουθετῶν (admonishing you).
15 ἐὰν (If) γὰρ (for) μυρίους (ten thousand) παιδαγωγοὺς (guardians) ἔχητε (you should have) ἐν (in)
XC, ἀλλ’ (yet) οὐ (not) πολλοὺς (many) πατέρας (fathers); ἐν (in) γὰρ (for) XC IC, διὰ (through) τοῦ
(the) εὐαγγελίου (Announcement), ἐγὼ (I) ὑμᾶς (you) ἐγέννησα (have begotten).
16 παρακαλῶ (I exhort) οὖν (therefore) ὑμᾶς (you), μιμηταί (imitators) μου (of me) γίνεσθε (become).
18 Ὡς (As to) μὴ (not) ἐρχομένου (coming) δέ (now) μου (of me) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you), ἐφυσιώθησάν
(have become puffed up) τινες (some).
19 ἐλεύσομαι (I will come) δὲ (however) ταχέως (shortly) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you), ἐὰν (if) ὁ (the) KC
(Lord) θελήσῃ (wills), καὶ (and) γνώσομαι (I will find out) οὐ (not) τὸν (the) λόγον (talk) τῶν (of those)
πεφυσιωμένων (being puffed up), ἀλλὰ (but) τὴν (the) δύναμιν (power).
20 οὐ (Not) γὰρ (for) ἐν (in) λόγῳ (word) ἡ (the) βασιλεία (kingdom) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God is), ἀλλ’ (but)
ἐν (in) δυνάμει (power).
21 τί (What) θέλετε (desire you)? ἐν (With) ῥάβδῳ (a rod) ἔλθω (I should come) πρὸς (to) ὑμᾶς (you),
ἢ (or) ἐν (in) ἀγάπῃ (love), πνεύματί (a spirit) τε (then) πραΰτητος (of gentleness)?
1 Corinthians Letter 1.pdf
(44.14 KiB) Downloaded 23 times