Deconstructed Letters of Paulos

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jax

Re: Deconstructed Letters of Paulos

Post by Jax »

Philippians 3_2 - 4_9

Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the incision. For we are the circumcision who worship God in the Spirit, and rejoice in the Christou Iesou, and have no confidence in the flesh; though I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If any other man thinks that he has confidence in the flesh, I yet more: circumcised the eighth day, of the race of Israel, the tribe of Benjamin, as well as a Hebrew coming of Hebrews; regarding the Law a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the assembly; regarding the uprightness which is found in the Law a man who came to be blameless. However, what things were gain to me, these have I counted loss for the Christou. Yes most assuredly, and I count all things to be loss for the excellency of the knowledge of the Christou Iesou, my Master, for whom I suffered the loss of all things, and count them nothing but excrement, that I may gain the Christou and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own, that which is of the Law, but that which is through the faithfulness of the Christou, the righteousness which is from God resting upon faithfulness; that knowing him, and the power of his resurrection, and communion in his sufferings, becoming conformed to his death, if only I might somehow attain to that “exsurrection” that is from the dead. Not that I have already obtained, or am already made perfect; but I press on, that perhaps I may seize of that for which also I was seized of by the Christou Iesou.
Brothers, I don't regard myself as yet having seized hold, save of one thing: Forgetting the things which are behind, and stretching forward to the things which are before, I press on toward the goal to the prize
of the high calling of God in the Christou Iesou. Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, think this way. If in anything you think otherwise, this God will also reveal that to you. Nevertheless, to the extent that we have already attained, let us fall into line with the same thing. Let us be of the same mind.
Brothers, be imitators together of me, and note those who walk this way, even as you have us for an example. For many walk, of whom I told you often, and now tell you even weeping, as the enemies of the cross of the Christou, whose end is ruin, whose god is the guts, and whose glory is in their shame, who think about earthly things. For our citizenship is in the heavens, from where we also wait for a Savior, the Master, Iesou Christou; who will transfigure the body of our abjectness, conformed to the body of his glory by the operation of his power for setting all things in order under himself.

Therefore, my brothers, beloved and dearly desired, my joy and crown, take your stand in the Master, my beloved ones.

I beseech Euodian, and Suntuchen to think the same way in the Master. And, yes, I ask you, my true yoke-fellow, take care of those women who struggled along with me in the Announcement, with Klementos and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life. Rejoice in the Master always. Again I will say, Rejoice! Let your fairness be known to all human beings. The Master is near. In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in the Christou Iesou. As to the rest, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue, and if there is any praise, think about these things.
The things which you learned, received, heard, and saw in me: do these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Philippians 4_10 - 23

And I have rejoiced in the Master greatly, that now at last you have revived your thoughtfulness for me; in which you have indeed been thoughtful, you have lacked opportunity. Not that I speak out of want; for I have learned in whatever circumstance I am, to be self-sufficient in it. I know how to be humbled, and I know also how to abound; I have been initiated into all mysteries-both how to be filled and how to be hungry, both how to abound and how to be in need. I have strength for all things in him who gives me the power. However you did well that you had communion with me in my affliction. And know also, you Philippians, that in the beginning of the Announcement, when I departed from Macedonia, no assembly had communion with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you only.
For even in Thessalonica you sent more than once supplying my need. Not that I seek for a donation; rather I seek for the fruit whose increase is credited to your account. But I have all things, and abound. I have been filled, having received from Epaphroditou the things that came from you, a sweet-smelling fragrance, an acceptable and well-pleasing sacrifice to God. And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in the Christou Iesou. Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Greet every holy one in the Christou Iesou. The brothers who are with me greet you. All the holy ones greet you, especially those who are of Kaisaros household.

The gift of the Master Iesou Christou be with you all.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Romans 16 Without 16_5 and 16_25-27

I commend to you Phoebe, our sister, who is a servant of the assembly that is at Cenchreae, that you receive her in the Master, in a way worthy of the holy ones, and that you assist her in whatever matter she may need from you, for she herself also has been a servant of many, and of my own self.

Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christou Iesou, who for my life, laid down their own necks; to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the assemblies of the Gentiles.
Greet Epaenetus, my beloved, who is the first-fruits of Achaia to Christou.
Greet Mary, who labored much for us.
Greet Andronicus and Junias, my relatives and my fellow prisoners, who are notable among the apostles, who also have been in Christou before me.
Greet Amplias, my beloved in the Master.
Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christou, and Stachys, my beloved.
Greet Apelles, the approved in Christou.
Greet those who are of the household of Aristobulus.
Greet Herodion, my kinsman.
Greet them of the household of Narcissus, who are in the Master.
Greet Tryphaena and Tryphosa, who labor in the Master.
Greet Persis, the beloved, who labored much in the Master.
Greet Rufus, the chosen in the Master, and his mother and mine.
Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers who are with them.
Greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the holy ones who are with them.
Greet one another with a holy kiss. The assemblies of Christou greet you.

Now I beg you, brothers, mark those who are causing the divisions and occasions of stumbling, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and turn away from them. For those who are such don't serve our Master, Iesou Christou, but their own belly; and by their smooth and flattering speech, they deceive the hearts of the innocent.
For your obedience has reached all. I rejoice therefore over you. But I desire to have you wise to that which is good, but innocent to that which is evil.
Now the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet swiftly. The gift of our Master Iesou Christou be with you.

Timotheous, my fellow worker, greets you, as do Lucius, Jason, and Sosipater, my relatives.

I, Tertius, who write the letter, greet you in the Master.

Gaius, my host and host of the whole assembly, greets you. Erastus, the treasurer of the city, greets you, as does Quartus, the brother.

The gift of our Master Iesou Christou be with you all! Amen.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Still working on Romans 1_1 - 15_33 Without 1_18-2_29 and 3_12-18 and 3_24-26 and 4 and 5_1 and 5_6-7 and 5_12-21 and 6_13 and 6_17 and 6_19 and 7_6 and 7_25b-8_1 and 8_9-11 and 9-11 and 12_11 and 13_1-7 and 14_6 and 15_4
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:54 am 1 Corinthians 1_1 - 4_21 Without 2_6-16 and 4_6c and 4_17
I believe what is meant by 1 Corinthians 4.6c is only the phrase "not to go beyond what is written," from a suggestion by John Strugnell:

6 But these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that you may learn by us not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you should become arrogant in behalf of one against the other. / 6 ταῦτα δέ, ἀδελφοί, μετεσχημάτισα εἰς ἐμαυτὸν καὶ Ἀπολλῶν δι᾽ ὑμᾶς, ἵνα ἐν ἡμῖν μάθητε τὸ μὴ ὑπὲρ ἃ γέγραπται, ἵνα μὴ εἷς ὑπὲρ τοῦ ἑνὸς φυσιοῦσθε κατὰ τοῦ ἑτέρου.

ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:09 pm
Jax wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:54 am 1 Corinthians 1_1 - 4_21 Without 2_6-16 and 4_6c and 4_17
I believe what is meant by 1 Corinthians 4.6c is only the phrase "not to go beyond what is written," from a suggestion by John Strugnell:

6 But these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, so that you may learn by us not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you should become arrogant in behalf of one against the other. / 6 ταῦτα δέ, ἀδελφοί, μετεσχημάτισα εἰς ἐμαυτὸν καὶ Ἀπολλῶν δι᾽ ὑμᾶς, ἵνα ἐν ἡμῖν μάθητε τὸ μὴ ὑπὲρ ἃ γέγραπται, ἵνα μὴ εἷς ὑπὲρ τοῦ ἑνὸς φυσιοῦσθε κατὰ τοῦ ἑτέρου.

Right on. Thank you Ben. :cheers:
Jax

Post by Jax »

I have edited 1 Cor 4:6c and made the recommended correction pointed out by Ben.

Thanks again Ben. :)

P.S. Ben, how does the use of Announcement for Gospel seem to you? Should I tone it down you think?

Lane
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 am I have edited 1 Cor 4:6c and made the recommended correction pointed out by Ben.

P.S. Ben, how does the use of Announcement for Gospel seem to you? Should I tone it down you think?
I doubt there is any good answer to that question. The noun can simply mean "good news" or "announcement," as you imply, but in early Christianity it takes on the quality almost of a technical term, a quality which both "good news" and "announcement" lack. On the other hand, "gospel" strikes many as antiquated and too redolent of modern evangelicalism. I myself tend to go with "gospel," since it so readily and traditionally points to the underlying Greek word, but I have drawn criticism both for this and for similar decisions. Some people even transliterate: "evangelion."
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Jax

Post by Jax »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:20 am
Jax wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 am I have edited 1 Cor 4:6c and made the recommended correction pointed out by Ben.

I doubt there is any good answer to that question. The noun can simply mean "good news" or "announcement," as you imply, but in early Christianity it takes on the quality almost of a technical term, a quality which both "good news" and "announcement" lack. On the other hand, "gospel" strikes many as antiquated and too redolent of modern evangelicalism. I myself tend to go with "gospel," since it so readily and traditionally points to the underlying Greek word, but I have drawn criticism both for this and for similar decisions. Some people even transliterate: "evangelion."
It seems to me that Paul would have been using the term in the same way that it was used for the Hellenistic rulers and Emperors of the early principate. Perhaps an accurate English translation simply isn't possible as we might not have anything comparable.
robert j

Post by robert j »

Jax wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:14 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:09 pm

Right on. Thank you Ben. :cheers:
Jax wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 am
I have edited 1 Cor 4:6c and made the recommended correction pointed out by Ben.
Jax,

I assume by making the “recommended correction“, you mean that you are, at least for now, considering the phrase “not to go beyond what is written“ in 1 Corinthians 4:6 to be an interpolation.

In the link to page 104 that Ben provided, Strugnell suggests the phrase began as a marginal note that became incorporated into the text, but the author of the linked book (Roger S. Bosse) goes on to write on page 105 (Google Books not always providing that page, try hitting the magnify button) ---

“Despite his arguments, Strugnell’s conclusion must be rejected …” (p. 105)

What evidence leads you to think the phrase was a later addition? How strong do you consider evidence for interpolation here?

I’m not likely to get further involved in this discussion at this time, but I’m just curious about your methodology and thought process for evaluating this verse.