Galatians 4:4 -- Born of Woman Revisited, Again

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

Galatians 4:4 -- Born of Woman Revisited, Again

Post by robert j »

Paul was beside himself with surprise, disappointment, and anger. His Galatians were turning away from one of his most foundational tenets --- that Gentiles could be full participants with the God of the Jews without the benefit of circumcision.

Paul had no slam-dunk argument to prove his position. So he constructed his case using a multi-pronged approach with a series of supporting arguments --- some unique and some overlapping and repetitious.

The culture of Paul’s Galatians was different from that of his Greek and Macedonian converts. And of Paul’s 5 extant letters addressed to his congregations, only in Galatians do we find circumcision as a significant issue.

I don’t think the specific Greek verb Paul used for “having been made” or “having been born” or “having come in being” in Galatians 4:4 is definitive in the argument for or against a historical Jesus. But what is important, I think, is how the term fits within the wider context of Paul’s system, and within the letter to the Galatians.

In Paul’s system, the salvific benefit for humans provided by his Jesus Christ, as well as his Jesus Christ as a model for the wider resurrection to come, are both made significantly more relevant with the pre-existing heavenly benefactor having taken on human form to suffer and die and be resurrected.

“… having taken the form of a servant, having been made (γενόμενος) in the likeness of men, and having been found in form as a man” (Philippians 2:7-8).

In the same vein, Paul’s Jesus Christ as the instrument that freed believers from the Jewish law is made significantly more relevant with the heavenly benefactor having been born under the law.

“... having been made (born) (γενόμενον) of woman, having been made (born) (γενόμενον) under the law that He might redeem those under the Law, so that we might receive the divine adoption as sons. (Gal 4:4-5)

Paul presented his Jesus Christ as a model for the Galatians --- He was born under the law so he could free them from the law --- He was a divine son so, through faith, they could receive divine adoption as sons.

It’s apparent that, for the Galatians, familial relationships were highly significant. Paul dwells on them, promises them, and uses them to drive home his points. The Galatians wanted, above all else, to be sons of the great God of the Jews.

Brothers, let me put this in human terms … (Gal 3:15).

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. (Gal 3:26)

Now if you are of Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, heirs according to the promise. (Gal 3:29)

This leads directly into the passage in question, the imposed chapter division should not be seen as an end to Paul’s use of human examples ---

Now I say, for as long a time as the heir is a child, he differs not from a slave, though being owner of everything. Instead, he is under guardians and stewards until the time appointed by his father. So also, we when we were children, were held in bondage under the elemental principles of the world. But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, having been born of a woman, having been born under the Law, that He might redeem those under the Law, so that we might receive the divine adoption as sons. (Gal 4:1-5)

I read somewhere (now lost to me) that the first couple of sentences in chapter 4 reflect both Syrian and Roman laws and traditions of inheritance --- Celtic traditions for raising sons also seem to be reflected. Regardless, the passage is a unit, Paul is using a human example to drive home his promise that his Jesus Christ provided both the means for redemption from the law, and for believers to become sons of the Jewish God.

Paul’s letters, and his wider system, certainly contain flaws of logic. No such system is perfect. But the human nature of Paul’s Jesus Christ does not point to a recent human figure, but rather it was a theological construct.

Paul may very well have believed that the Jesus Christ he found in the scriptures had come in human form to suffer and die on the earth sometime deep in the scriptural past --- that we will likely never know.

But here, in the letter to the Galatians, Paul used human examples to drive home his theological points.

robert j
Last edited by robert j on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard Muller

Re: Galatians 4:4 -- Born of Woman Revisited, Again

Post by Bernard Muller »

Paul may very well have believed that the Jesus Christ he found in the scriptures had come in human form to suffer and die on the earth sometime deep in the scriptural past --- that we will likely never know.
And where would Paul have found a crucified Jesus Christ in the scriptures?
How to explain the salvation would take place centuries after the crucifixion (deep in the scriptural past).
But here, in the letter to the Galatians, Paul used human examples to drive home his theological points.
I can agree with that.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
robert j

Post by robert j »

Bernard Muller wrote:
This has been revisited again, and again, and again …

I don’t intend on getting involved in a debate with you, Bernard. I know we are unlikely to make much headway.

But off the top of my head, here’s a couple of examples ---

Midrash on the suffering servant of Isaiah, and,

Using Deuteronomy 21:23 ---
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us; for it has been written: "Cursed is everyone hanging on a tree" (Galatians 3:13)

As I have cited before, for the most part, I agree with this statement from Earl Doherty ---
“Scripture did not contain any full-blown crucified Messiah, but it did contain all the required ingredients. Jewish midrash was the process by which the Christian recipe was put together and baked into the doctrine ….” (Doherty, Earl, Jesus Neither God Nor Man, 2009, p. 87).

Bernard Muller wrote: How to explain the salvation would take place centuries after the crucifixion (deep in the scriptural past).

"… the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to revelation of the mystery kept secret in times of the ages, but now having been made known through the prophetic scriptures, according to command of the eternal God. Leading to obedience of faith unto all the nations, having been made known the only wise God through Jesus Christ …” (Rom 16:25-27)

I don’t think Paul composed this doxology in Romans, but I do think that it was composed by one of his well-educated and faithful junior-partners with the intention of accurately reflecting Paul’s teaching.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Psalm 22:9-10 and Psalm 71:6
robert j

Post by robert j »

Bernard Muller wrote:
Though off the topic of this thread, I want to add to my previous response to Bernard from yesterday.

I did not say that Paul found a crucified Jesus Christ in the scriptures --- because Paul didn’t say that.

Paul only associated his Jesus Christ with a stake --- (σταυροῦ, ῷ, ὸς) 1 Cor 1:17, 1:18; Gal 5:11, 6:12, 6:14; Philippians 2:8, 3:18 --- and with “hanging on a tree" (Gal 3:13) which Paul derived from Deuteronomy 21:23.

In ancient times, including with ancient Jews, the body of one executed in a variety of ways was often attached by various means and hung on an upright stake or tree as a means of further humiliation.

ETA: The term stauros (σταυρὸς) has since become somewhat of a Christian technical term for a cross used in a Roman style crucifixion, but in Paul's day, it meant an upright stake.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to robert j,
Paul only associated his Jesus Christ with a stake --- (σταυροῦ, ῷ, ὸς) 1 Cor 1:17, 1:18; Gal 5:11, 6:12, 6:14; Philippians 2:8, 3:18 --- and with “hanging on a tree" (Gal 3:13) which Paul derived from Deuteronomy 21:23.
Just because Paul used a phrase from Deuteronomy 21:23 to make a point, that does not mean he had Jesus crucified to comply with that OT passage.
σταυροῦ does not mean tree."hanging on a tree" is not the same as crucified.
In ancient times, including with ancient Jews, the body of one executed in a variety of ways was often attached by various means and hung on an upright stake or tree as a means of further humiliation.
They were hung after having been killed.
I don’t think Paul composed this doxology in Romans, but I do think that it was composed by one of his well-educated and faithful junior-partners with the intention of accurately reflecting Paul’s teaching.
Exactly (about not from Paul). But this doxology could have been written at least one generation after Paul by someone who did not know him. And certainly the interpolator did not even try to imitate Paul's style.
Furthermore that pompous & ambiguous doxology can be interpreted as Paul's gospel & preaching were corroborated by the prophets. That does not impact the existence or non-existence of Jesus.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
robert j

Post by robert j »

Bernard Muller wrote: to robert j,
They were hung after having been killed.
Yes, "the body of one executed" is usually dead.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

robert j wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:54 pmPaul was beside himself with surprise, disappointment, and anger. His Galatians were turning away from one of his most foundational tenets --- that Gentiles could be full participants with the God of the Jews without the benefit of circumcision.

Paul had no slam-dunk argument to prove his position. So he constructed his case using a multi-pronged approach with a series of supporting arguments --- some unique and some overlapping and repetitious.
I think you have put your finger on Paul's central theme. It is evident in all of the extent letters ("genuine" and "contested"), and rather consistently emphasized. Some of these letters, I think, have date indicators that place them in the mid 1st century CE (specifically 40 CE for 2 Thes & 52 CE for 1 Cor). I personally do not accept the theory that they are reactions to something written by Marcion. I would have expected more evidence from early Christian writers "explaining" away any such conjecture, and I do not really see any.

The "Christological" talk in the letters is of a completely different nature, and specifics seem to vary a bit from letter to letter, suggesting it is something under development. As a result, I prefer to think of them as interpolations by one or more redactors/editors who revised the letters for a specifically Christian audience, or to help recruit the remnants of Paul's followers who may have still read his letters (un-interpolated, "of course"™).

The/these redactor(s) too believed that God respects faith over Judean law and circumcision, but their world revolved around the figure of Jesus Christ, the divine savior who symbolically vanquished sin (failure to live up to Judean law and practice) by an atoning sacrifice.

To me, that kind of theological construct belongs after the Judean rebellion (66-74 CE) when the former sacrificial system was stopped as well as any hope of establishing a physical kingdom of god on earth. They had to rationalize the "real" purpose of Jesus' teaching and subsequent death as a rebel (by crucifixion), with the real Jesus being an advocate for the establishment of a KoG on earth, and slowly evolved their concept of him into that of a divine savior figure more at home among mystery religions. I have been dating this theology informally to about 80-90 CE. The more polished form of this theology is how we find it in the canonical Gospels and the pseudepigraphical letter to the Hebrews, so they are later still, maybe ca. 100 CE.

DCH