Born of a woman (as an idiomatic expression).

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

Re: Born of a woman (as an idiomatic expression).

Post by Ben C. Smith »

spin wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:33 pm Yo Ben C.! I don't think that "born of a woman" is idiomatic. I think it is a culturally laden phrase, somewhat like "born of immigrant parents" is in American dream narratives. Do we have the notion of "born of a woman" in the Judeo-Christian tradition where it does not refer to a Jewish mother?
Well, that is an interesting point. The phrase seems to be used so generically at times, though, that I cannot tell whether Jewishness is in view rather than just humanness. 1QS 11.21a, for example: "As what shall one born of woman be considered in your presence?" Is this not an issue of human versus deity?
To read the phrase to mean anything non-literal seems to me to be eisegetical.
Oh, I agree.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
spin

Re: Born of a woman (as an idiomatic expression).

Post by spin »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:57 pm1QS 11.21a, for example: "As what shall one born of woman be considered in your presence?" Is this not an issue of human versus deity?
It could be. I don't know how wide the notion of "born of a woman" could have been. If being born of a Jewish woman can be reduced to the equivalent of being born of a woman generally, I'd guess that the distinction would not be discernable in the context. But that's just a guess and you may be right.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes