Please give me some feedback

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
DCHindley

Re: Please give me some feedback

Post by DCHindley »

arnoldo wrote:
DCHindley wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:27% of visits currently come from "tablets" or "high-end mobile devices," and that's with a completely un-optimized site. I don't want to sacrifice anything for the PC experience, of course.
But aren't 95% of those 27% of visits from Stephan Hüller?

Typed from my old fashioned, and really cheap, Lenovo™ laptop while in heavy imaginary traffic, drinking a cherry Coke™ with ice cream sucked through a Crazy Straw™.

DCH
Whilst sitting in a park bench, using free wi-fi, feeding pigeons and eyeing old ladies with evil intent. . .
"Hey Aqualung ..." I say, "as you bend to pick a dog-end" (gawd I hope that is just a British word for some sort of flower). Hmmm, are you eyeing "Cross-eyed Mary"? She'd have to be about 55 years old by now ... :?:
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

I use both PC and tablet to access the site, I haven't had any issues using android tablet and prefer the PC layout even when on tablet ( I hate how mobile sites hide everything under nebulous icons).
The metric to judge if one is a good exegete: the way he/she deals with Barabbas.

Who disagrees with me on this precise point is by definition an idiot.
-Giuseppe
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

DCHindley wrote:
arnoldo wrote:
DCHindley wrote: But aren't 95% of those 27% of visits from Stephan Hüller?

Typed from my old fashioned, and really cheap, Lenovo™ laptop while in heavy imaginary traffic, drinking a cherry Coke™ with ice cream sucked through a Crazy Straw™.

DCH
Whilst sitting on a park bench, using free wi-fi, feeding pigeons and eyeing old ladies with evil intent. . .
"Hey Aqualung ..." I say, "as you bend to pick a dog-end" (gawd I hope that is just a British word for some sort of flower). Hmmm, are you eyeing "Cross-eyed Mary"? She'd have to be about 55 years old by now ... :?:
Well, when you're thick as a brick it doesn't make much difference anyway. .

Spin me back down the years
and the days of my youth.
Draw the lace and black curtains
and shut out the whole truth.
Spin me down the long ages: let them sing the song
[/i]

BTW, the CD available at the early christian writings website for $24 seems like a good deal.
Early Writings: High Quality CD-ROMs
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

arnoldo wrote:
[/i]
Hi Arnoldo.
What are you referring to?

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
powindah

Post by powindah »

DCHindley wrote: "Hey Aqualung ..." I say, "as you bend to pick a dog-end" (gawd I hope that is just a British word for some sort of flower). Hmmm, are you eyeing "Cross-eyed Mary"? She'd have to be about 55 years old by now ... :?:
:lol:

Dog-end is slang over here for a cigarette butt.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

rakovsky wrote:
arnoldo wrote:
[/i]
Hi Arnoldo.
What are you referring to?
This. . . isn't it obvious?
FransJVermeiren

Post by FransJVermeiren »

Peter Kirby wrote: I'd like any feedback anyone has, whether on design or content.

(By the way, I'm extending the timeline down to 325.)
Dear Mr Kirby

Contrary to the contributions above, allow me to focus on content, especially on your timeline of early Christian writings. In my opinion, any timeline of early Christian persons, events or writings developed up to now is mistaken, because the chronology of the then events has been forged by the gospel writers. Afterwards this falsification has been endorsed by the early Christian leaders/writers.

This forged chronology also puts a blemish on your invaluable work on early Christianity. Therefore I invite you to take note of my theory on the chronology of the origins of Christianity. In my book A Chronological Revision of the Origins of Christianity I adduce numerous arguments in support of a later origin of Christianity. I discovered that the gospels tell the story of the war of the Jews against the Romans, the culminating event of the messianic liberation era. The Jesus of the Gospels is the rebellion leader Jesus son of Saphat, who hardly survived his crucifixion during the last days of the siege of Jerusalem in August 70 CE. Your earlywritings.com forum has given me the opportunity to elaborate on different elements of my theory, for which I am profoundly grateful. These ‘earlywritings’ elaborations have given supplementary endorsement to my theory.

Up to now my theory has not gained broad support. I believe biblical scholars and historians like embracing the status quo rather than engaging with the inconvenient truth of a new theory. But maybe sooner or later my theory will become the established theory on the origins of Christianity, in 10, 100 or perhaps 1000 years. I kindly invite you to become the first expert on early Christianity to support my theory, and to adapt your timeline of early Christian writings accordingly.

Below I will only address shortly the earliest Christian writings, which are of course the most important ones. The pivotal text is the oldest gospel (Mark), which you date ‘65-80 CE’. I believe the earliest possible date for the first gospel is the autumn of 70 CE, and in the end we can narrow the date of writing to 71-72 CE. See also Brian Incigneri’s The Gospel to the Romans and my review of this book on Amazon.com. As Mark is the inventor of the antedated passion narrative (from 70 CE to 30 CE), this passage has been written as an integral part of the gospel of Mark and should therefore also be dated 71-72 CE.

Your dating of the Pauline epistles is correct, but numerous post-70 CE interpolations are present in them. In my opinion they deserve the following warning: ‘with numerous post-70 interpolations’. Paul is a propagator of the future Christ, so the anonymous ‘Christ’ is original in his letters, ‘Jesus’ is always a post-70 CE interpolation. In some places these ‘Jesus’ accretions are detectable in the oldest manuscripts.

In your timeline you date the letter of James 70-100 CE, but this is an early, pre-war writing, so I believe it should be dated 50-60 CE also.

As the last chapter of the Didache tells the story of the war in a veiled way, this writing should also be dated post-70 CE. See also my thread ‘The apocalyptic XVIth chapter of the Didache’ on this forum.

With kind regards

Frans J. Vermeiren
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

FransJVermeiren wrote:
my theory has not gained broad support.
I think Kirby just wants to go with mainstream scholarship or at least something relatively close when he makes the dates.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Peter,

I do think it would be constructive if you had an alternate (Dutch Radical) Radical proposed timeline. It is the strongest competitor and the foundations date back to Van Manen at the very end of the 18th century. The viewpoint continues to resurface and has considerable traction today.

I would suggest it as a separate page and merely a brief comment on the traditional dating page that links to it (i.e., "an alternate view of the development of the New Testament timeline"). The timelines are not really compatible, since the Radical view begins with everything Paul derived from the antinomistic movements dating from about 140 C.E. It is not an insignificant view. For all intents everything shifts 60-120 years later from traditional. I can help you gather the information to put together such an alternate timeline -- there is just as much diversity if not more in radical opinion, especially as it relates to timelines impacted by "snowball" theories.

If you want to work on this or want me to do so, drop me a PM, and I can put together a list of notable scholars who hold the radical view, their contacts (I personally know a few of them) and a questionnaire. I have found in conversations with several academics that the radical view is held, at least in part, by many more than openly publish. Often they hold a radical view for the specific subjects they study, but accept often with great difficulty the traditional timeline for everything else. Having a full radical timeline could be helpful for many scholars who struggle to place their work in the traditional time frame, where the relationships between texts seem out of wack with their findings.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

It would be pretty useful.

A page on "alternative timelines" could be good, for all the reasons you state.

(I am pretty swamped, though, so I can't really make a commitment to work on it.)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown