NT books apparently known by Patristic Fathers

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: NT books apparently known by Patristic Fathers

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Michael BG wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:20 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: I am very confused. I can see Julius Caesar added to this list, which I agree with. But the rest (about your post) I am not sure about.

ETA: Also, I do not think any of the three emperors who died in 69 should be removed. They are rarely if ever skipped in the lists. Clement of Alexandria skips a couple of them once, in book 1 of the Miscellanies, but he is using them to count years, not emperors, and two of them added up to less than a year in total time ruling. When he gives the list again, this time as what others reckon, he skips none of them. The other lists I know of (from the Sibylline Oracles, Suetonius, 4 Ezra, and other texts) never skip any.
Your earlier comment only requested that I consider adding Julius Caesar, which should have been there because I had already accepted the need to make Trajan the eleventh.
Ah, I see. Thanks.
When Henry VII became king he didn’t accept that Richard III had ever been king! Therefore it is possible to exclude all emperors between Nero and Vespasian. It has to be remembered that Barnabas does not have the freedom of 2 Esdras 11:1 assuming that the “twelve feathered wings” are emperors. 2 Esdras 12:14 states that these kings shall “reign … one after another”. I believe this is not true for Julius Caesar and Augustus, and some were joint rulers with their successors Tiberius with Augustus and mention has already been made of Titus with Vespasian. (It is likely that Sibylline Oracles book 5 is too late (161+) to be of assistance here). Suetonius (c 119) is relevant. Therefore if the author of Barnabas was not quoting Daniel he could have gone with 12 like Suetonius and possibly 2 Esdras (c 97), but he couldn’t he had to have “ten kingdoms” (Barn. 4:5) to agree with Daniels “ten horns” (Dan. 7:24 Barn 4:6).
If Barnabas had to make things fit in the ways you are suggesting, then the ten horns are of zero use in determining the epistle's date. I said in one of my posts that this may be the case. If there are no "rules" or guidelines, then he can remove Julius Caesar from consideration because the empire did not properly start until Augustus; Galba or Otto or Vitellius or any selection of the three because their reigns were so short; Nerva because he reigned for only a couple of years; Domitian because he succeeded from his brother instead of from his father; or Nero or Caligula just for spite. Any personal prejudice will do once the usual guidelines are taken away. And I am not even arguing against this contingency; it might be correct. But to suggest from what little Barnabas tells us about the 10 kings/emperors exact motives for his removing one or more slots from the list is arbitrary and almost certain to be wrong. We ought to admit that either (A) Barnabas followed the usual, predictable patterns or (B) we have no clue what he was thinking.

The Sibylline Oracles are not necessarily too late to be of assistance, since they help establish the cultural pattern:

Sibylline Oracles 5.16-26:

The very first lord shall be, who shall sum
Twice ten with the first letter of his name
;
In wars exceeding powerful shall he be;
And he shall have the initial sign of ten;
And in like manner after him to reign
Is one who has the alphabet's first letter
;
Before him Thrace and Sicily shall crouch,
Then Memphis, Memphis cast headlong to earth
By reason of the cowardice of rulers
And of a woman unenslaved who falls
Upon the wave. ....

The first lord is Julius Caesar. Caesar begins with a kappa in Greek, which means 20, and Julius begins with an iota, which means 10. The second lord is Augustus, whose name begins with the first letter of the alphabet. The passage goes on to "predict" all of the emperors up through Marcus Aurelius.

Such patterns tend, I think, to be inherently conservative. Ronald Reagan is universally regarded as the fortieth president of the United States, despite the nonconsecutive terms of Grover Cleveland, the painfully short tenure of William Henry Harrison, and the general incompetence of Ulysses S. Grant. Henry VII may not have recognized Richard III, but every schoolchild in England sings his name in the mnemonic songs.

And, if you count the Sibyllines as too late, you have to count Clement of Alexandria's one quirky list as too late, too:

Miscellanies 1.21: .... [A] And nothing, in my opinion, after these details, need stand in the way of stating the periods of the Roman emperors, in order to the demonstration of the Savior's birth. Augustus, forty-three years; Tiberius, twenty-two years; Caius, four years; Claudius, fourteen years; Nero, fourteen years; Galba, one year; Vespasian, ten years; Titus, three years; Domitian, fifteen years; Nerva, one year; Trajan, nineteen years; Adrian, twenty-one years; Antoninus, twenty-one years; likewise again, Antoninus and Commodus, thirty-two. In all, from Augustus to Commodus, are two hundred and twenty-two years; and from Adam to the death of Commodus, five thousand seven hundred and eighty-four years, two months, twelve days. [B] Some set down the dates of the Roman emperors thus: Caius Julius Caesar, three years, four months, five days; after him Augustus reigned forty-six years, four months, one day. Then Tiberius, twenty-six years, six months, nineteen days. He was succeeded by Caius Caesar, who reigned three years, ten months, eight days; and he by Claudius for thirteen years, eight months, twenty-eight days. Nero reigned thirteen years, eight months, twenty-eight days; Galba, seven months and six days; Otho, five months, one day; Vitellius, seven months, one day; Vespasian, eleven years, eleven months, twenty-two days; Titus, two years, two months; Domitian, fifteen years, eight months, five days; Nerva, one year, four months, ten days; Trajan, nineteen years, seven months, ten days; Adrian, twenty years, ten months, twenty-eight days. Antoninus, twenty-two years, three months, and seven days; Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, nineteen years, eleven days; Commodus, twelve years, nine months, fourteen days.

The first seems to be his own idiosyncratic rendering, starting with Augustus and removing two of the emperors of 69 because their tenures did not combine to make even a year. But the second is exactly what we find so often elsewhere: Julius comes first and nobody gets skipped.

Are there any relevant lists, then, that differ from Suetonius' Twelve Caesars?
  1. Divus Iulius.
  2. Divus Augustus.
  3. Tiberius.
  4. Caligula.
  5. Divus Claudius.
  6. Nero.
  7. Galba.
  8. Otho.
  9. Vitellius.
  10. Divus Vespasianus.
  11. Divus Titus.
  12. Domitianus.
What about Josephus? He makes Augustus Caesar the second emperor and Gaius Caligula the fourth, exactly as expected:

Antiquities 18.2.2 §32-33: 32 After him came Annius Rufus, under whom died Caesar, the second emperor of the Romans, the duration of whose reign was fifty-seven years, besides six months and two days, of which time Antonius ruled together with him fourteen years; 33 but the duration of his life was seventy-seven years, upon whose death Tiberius Nero, son of his wife Julia, succeeded. He was now the third emperor; and he sent Valerius Gratus to be procurator of Judea, and to succeed Annius Rufus.

Antiquities 18.6.10 §224: 244 So, when Tiberius had at this time appointed Gaius to be his successor, he outlived but a few days and then died, after holding the government twenty-two years five months and three days. Now Gaius was the fourth emperor.

4 Ezra makes the long-lived Augustus the second emperor:

4 Ezra 11.12-17: 12 And I looked, and behold, on the right side one wing arose, and it reigned over all the earth. 13 And while it was reigning it came to its end and disappeared, so that its place was not seen. Then the next wing arose and reigned, and it continued to reign for a long time. 14 And while it was reigning its end came also, so that it disappeared like the first. 15 And behold, a voice sounded, saying to it: 16 "Hear me, you who have ruled the earth all this time; I announce this to you before you disappear. 17 After you no one shall rule as long as you, nor even half as long."

I know you know these lists. So what do they mean to you? What is Barnabas doing? Is he breaking the rules? If so, then what hope is there of using the ten kings to pin down a date for the epistle?

I would make the same observations about Revelation 17.9-10, another controversial list. If John the Revelator broke the rules, so to speak, then we are in the dark as to who the seven kings are.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to MichaelBG,
but knew the traditions behind the gospels.
Do you mean traditions drawn from the gospels or traditions which preceded the gospels?
While Mark has the same idea, it seems more likely that Barnabas knew Luke rather than Mark.
This is why I wrote on my website that the passage of Barnabas about Christ not being Son of David was under: 'Barnabas' and the gospels (generally)
Barnabas is quoting the Septuagint Psalm 21:19 not Matthew or Mark’s gospel.
Of course, Barnabas said that comes from a prophet. But "Barnabas" attributed "My garment they cast a lot" to Jesus as in the gospels:
Barnabas 6:6 What then saith the prophet again? The assembly of evildoers
gathered around Me, they surrounded Me as bees surround a comb;
and; For My garment they cast a lot.

Barnabas 6:7 Forasmuch then as He was about to be manifested in the flesh and to
suffer, His suffering was manifested beforehand.

The evidence seems strongest that the author of Barnabas knew and used Matthew’s gospel. However, is this evidence strong enough to convince everyone?
Convincing everyone on this board? Of course not. that's the nature of the business: whatever evidence is presented, that will be rejected by some or even many because not conforming to or against their agendas or beliefs or opinions.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Ben C. Smith wrote:
When Henry VII became king he didn’t accept that Richard III had ever been king!
Henry VII may not have recognized Richard III, but every schoolchild in England sings his name in the mnemonic songs.
I can assure you that all UK children are not taught mnemonic songs about the kings of England. I was not taught any. I don’t think my parents were either as they didn’t try to teach any to me. I do recall the use of mnemonic songs but not for the kings of England. (I once knew all the dates of the kings and queens of England back to Egbert. If I really think about it I suppose I could start with Ethelred the Unready. I don’t have a mnemonic song to help; just my memory.)
Ben C. Smith wrote:If Barnabas had to make things fit in the ways you are suggesting, then the ten horns are of zero use in determining the epistle's date. I said in one of my posts that this may be the case.
I have already stated that I date Barnabas by 16:3-4 to 130 or 131. Therefore 4:4-5 has to fit this date. I recognise that Christian writers do not accept the normal reading of the Old Testament and therefore it would be easy for them to make up their own list of emperors to fit Daniel 7:24. Some Christians re-interpret Daniel to bring his prophecies into the future. We shouldn’t underestimate the ability of Christians to re-interpret and create their own meanings to old prophecies.
And, if you count the Sibyllines as too late, you have to count Clement of Alexandria's one quirky list as too late.
I am always reluctant to use something written after the text we are considering to assist us in interpreting what the author of the older document is saying.
Ben C. Smith wrote:What is Barnabas doing? Is he breaking the rules? If so, then what hope is there of using the ten kings to pin down a date for the epistle?
Very little.

(
Ben C. Smith wrote:I would make the same observations about Revelation 17.9-10, another controversial list. If John the Revelator broke the rules, so to speak, then we are in the dark as to who the seven kings are.
I am not familiar with any interpretation of Rev. 17:9-10, however I found one by searching on Google by Keith Mathison who suggests omitting “the brief reigns of Galba, Otho and Vitellius” and suggests Suetonius refers to them as rebels. He suggests that Tacitus does not count Julius Caesar. Therefore he has Vespasian as the sixth, Titus as the seventh and Domitian as the eighth. He even refers to Domitian being Caesar in Rome until Vespasian arrived (69-70) “that was and is not, it is an eighth” 17:11 (http://www.ligonier.org/blog/seven-kings-revelation-17/). If the eighth king is Domitian and we accept that prophecies refer to past events then Revelation has to have been written after the reign of Titus (79-81).)
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Michael BG wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 am
Ben C. Smith wrote:
When Henry VII became king he didn’t accept that Richard III had ever been king!
Henry VII may not have recognized Richard III, but every schoolchild in England sings his name in the mnemonic songs.
I can assure you that all UK children are not taught mnemonic songs about the kings of England. I was not taught any. I don’t think my parents were either as they didn’t try to teach any to me. I do recall the use of mnemonic songs but not for the kings of England. (I once knew all the dates of the kings and queens of England back to Egbert. If I really think about it I suppose I could start with Ethelred the Unready. I don’t have a mnemonic song to help; just my memory.)
Okay, but you get my point, right? Such songs exist and are (or at least used to be) sung. Do any of them skip Richard III?
Ben C. Smith wrote:What is Barnabas doing? Is he breaking the rules? If so, then what hope is there of using the ten kings to pin down a date for the epistle?
Very little.
And that is my only point in this context.
Ben C. Smith wrote:I would make the same observations about Revelation 17.9-10, another controversial list. If John the Revelator broke the rules, so to speak, then we are in the dark as to who the seven kings are.
I am not familiar with any interpretation of Rev. 17:9-10, however I found one by searching on Google by Keith Mathison who suggests omitting “the brief reigns of Galba, Otho and Vitellius” and suggests Suetonius refers to them as rebels. He suggests that Tacitus does not count Julius Caesar. Therefore he has Vespasian as the sixth, Titus as the seventh and Domitian as the eighth. He even refers to Domitian being Caesar in Rome until Vespasian arrived (69-70) “that was and is not, it is an eighth” 17:11 (http://www.ligonier.org/blog/seven-kings-revelation-17/). If the eighth king is Domitian and we accept that prophecies refer to past events then Revelation has to have been written after the reign of Titus (79-81).
See? This is a game of using the rest of the book to pressure the interpretation of the list of kings, rather than using the list of kings to date the book.

Not counting any given emperor for personal reasons works out fine if one is actually naming the figures in question (like Tacitus does, whose work is being pressed here in a very weird way, since he is giving his political opinion on when the hallmarks of empire came into being, not simply naming Roman rulers). But using a different key, so to speak, without naming the kings is like referring to the fortieth president without naming him, but intending Bush instead of Reagan because one does not wish to count Cleveland twice. Such a procedure can result only in confusion; yet such a procedure is what is being recommended in the cases of Revelation and Barnabas, neither of whom name the emperors in question. Are we really to believe that these authors started at an arbitrary point or skipped arbitrary figures in the accepted list without giving any clue as to what was going on? It is easier to believe that they intended nothing concrete at all by the lists than that they expected their readers to read their minds in so blatant a manner.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Michael BG

Post by Michael BG »

Bernard Muller wrote: to MichaelBG,
but knew the traditions behind the gospels.
Do you mean traditions drawn from the gospels or traditions which preceded the gospels?
I mean the tradition which preceded the gospels.
Bernard Muller wrote:
Barnabas is quoting the Septuagint Psalm 21:19 not Matthew or Mark’s gospel.
Of course, Barnabas said that comes from a prophet. But "Barnabas" attributed "My garment they cast a lot" to Jesus as in the gospels:
Barnabas 6:6 What then saith the prophet again? The assembly of evildoers
gathered around Me, they surrounded Me as bees surround a comb;
and; For My garment they cast a lot.
I don’t think Mark has Jesus say the words from the Septuagint. As I have shown the Greek of Barnabas and Septuagint Psalm 21:19b are identical. I am sure you are aware of the view of C. H. Dodd that the Old Testament testimonia were attached to the narratives in their oral stage before the tradition came to the gospel writers. Even Luke has “his garments” rather than the Psalms “clothing of-me”. You have failed to show dependency on Luke’s gospel. What we know is that Mark has a link to the same Psalm verse. Therefore it is very possible that the linking of this Psalm verse with the crucifixion of Jesus was very early before Mark wrote his gospel. Therefore the use of the Psalms “clothing of-me” could be put on the lips of Jesus independent of Luke.
Bernard Muller wrote:
The evidence seems strongest that the author of Barnabas knew and used Matthew’s gospel. However, is this evidence strong enough to convince everyone?
Convincing everyone on this board? Of course not. that's the nature of the business: whatever evidence is presented, that will be rejected by some or even many because not conforming to or against their agendas or beliefs or opinions.

Cordially, Bernard
You make out it is near impossible to change anyone’s view on this board. I hope you are wrong. I suppose some people have views on everything, but I hope there are some who are open to being persuaded. I think I am persuadable and don’t have views on everything. I often form a view while taking part in a discussion and know I have different views on somethings than I did years ago.
Ben C. Smith wrote: Okay, but you get my point, right? Such songs exist and are (or at least used to be) sung. Do any of them skip Richard III?
I don’t think so, but I had to look them up. However, I wonder when Richard III got back on the list (I wonder if it was 1660?). Queen Matilda isn’t on them.
Ben C. Smith wrote:
I am not familiar with any interpretation of Rev. 17:9-10, however I found one by searching on Google by Keith Mathison who suggests omitting “the brief reigns of Galba, Otho and Vitellius” and suggests Suetonius refers to them as rebels. He suggests that Tacitus does not count Julius Caesar. Therefore he has Vespasian as the sixth, Titus as the seventh and Domitian as the eighth. He even refers to Domitian being Caesar in Rome until Vespasian arrived (69-70) “that was and is not, it is an eighth” 17:11 (http://www.ligonier.org/blog/seven-kings-revelation-17/). If the eighth king is Domitian and we accept that prophecies refer to past events then Revelation has to have been written after the reign of Titus (79-81).
See? This is a game of using the rest of the book to pressure the interpretation of the list of kings, rather than using the list of kings to date the book.
When I was looking for information on Revelations it seems that it is normally dated from external evidence; Wikipedia states, “Early Church tradition dates the book to end of the emperor Domitian (reigned AD 81–96), and most modern scholars agree”; this site dates it to 90-95 maybe based on Kummel who according to this site “interprets “17:9 wherein the counting of the emperors begins with Caligula so that Domitian would be the sixth in succession”. If we have sixth is Nero, and the eighth is then Otho and he doesn’t fit verse 11.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Michael BG wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:53 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Okay, but you get my point, right? Such songs exist and are (or at least used to be) sung. Do any of them skip Richard III?
I don’t think so, but I had to look them up. However, I wonder when Richard III got back on the list (I wonder if it was 1660?). Queen Matilda isn’t on them.
Claimants later viewed as invalid would be excluded, of course. Jefferson Davis does not make the US list of presidents, either, but you can be sure he would have had the South won the Civil War.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to MichaelBG,
I mean the tradition which preceded the gospels.
I don't see why "Barnabas" would used traditions which we don't know existed (before the gospels) rather than some gospels which you accepted existed then. Just because he did not quote these gospels word by word does not mean he did not know them. The gospels were not yet considered sacred scriptures to quote scrupulously. Look how "Luke" & "Matthew" treated gMark: not always word by word, far from that.
Anyway, you think that some phrases from 'Barnabas' are close to the corresponding ones from the Synoptic gospels, more so for gMatthew.
BTW, I did not see any close phrases between 'Barnabas" and gJohn. It does not look "Barnabas" knew any traditions preceding gJohn which eventually got into the same gospel. If it is true, that would be an argument against preceding traditions for gospels and "Barnabas" knowing gJohn.
Also, I made a study on the missing block (from gMark) in gLuke and one of my conclusion is "Luke" did not know of traditions (appearing in the missing block) available from other sources: you may consult that webpage: http://historical-jesus.info/appf.html
I don’t think Mark has Jesus say the words from the Septuagint. As I have shown the Greek of Barnabas and Septuagint Psalm 21:19b are identical. I am sure you are aware of the view of C. H. Dodd that the Old Testament testimonia were attached to the narratives in their oral stage before the tradition came to the gospel writers. Even Luke has “his garments” rather than the Psalms “clothing of-me”. You have failed to show dependency on Luke’s gospel. What we know is that Mark has a link to the same Psalm verse. Therefore it is very possible that the linking of this Psalm verse with the crucifixion of Jesus was very early before Mark wrote his gospel. Therefore the use of the Psalms “clothing of-me” could be put on the lips of Jesus independent of Luke.
I did not try to show dependency on Luke's gospel, rather dependency on the Synoptic gospels. After all, it is only in these gospels that "they" casted a lot specifically on the garment of Jesus. That would be too much of a coincidence that "Barnabas" attributed that relative to Jesus by knowing only the Septuagint on that matter.
You make out it is near impossible to change anyone’s view on this board. I hope you are wrong. I suppose some people have views on everything, but I hope there are some who are open to being persuaded. I think I am persuadable and don’t have views on everything. I often form a view while taking part in a discussion and know I have different views on somethings than I did years ago.
I admire your outlook on these matters. I wish many more would be the same on this board but I doubt it. Of course, I wish it may be a silent majority out there with the same outlook, but I have no evidence for that.
I think your analysis on my cited quotes on 'Barnabas" are right on (exception in my view: cast a lot) and very helpful for me in order to understand their limitations concerning their value as evidence about "Barnabas" knowing the Synoptics, more so gMatthew. Thanks.

Cordially, Bernard
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 pmI did not try to show dependency on Luke's gospel, rather dependency on the Synoptic gospels. After all, it is only in these gospels that "they" casted a lot specifically on the garment of Jesus. That would be too much of a coincidence that "Barnabas" attributed that relative to Jesus by knowing only the Septuagint on that matter.
It would be a coincidence if the authors (Barnabas and the synoptic authors) did this independently; but, if there were a mode of scriptural interpretation in early Christianity which attributed first-person details from Psalm 22 to Jesus, then the common attribution would not be at all coincidental. It would simply be two (or more) different authors playing the same interpretive game. This "mode of scriptural interpretation" would be a tradition, as it were, from which anybody could draw.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Ben,
Barnabas 6:6 What then saith the prophet again? The assembly of evildoers gathered around Me, they surrounded Me as bees surround a comb; and; For My garment they cast a lot.
Barnabas 6:7 Forasmuch then as He was about to be manifested in the flesh and to suffer, His suffering was manifested beforehand. ...
I think that "Barnabas" showed that "The assembly of evildoers gathered around Me, they surrounded Me as bees surround a comb; and; For My garment they cast a lot" is in order to demonstrate that Jesus' "suffering was manifested beforehand" (that is in the Greek OT prophetic writings). It looks to me that casting Jesus' garment a lot was something already known by "Barnabas" and his audience. It does not look it is something that "Barnabas" read in the LXX and then thought it was a good idea to attribute that to Jesus.

Cordially, Bernard
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:51 pm to Ben,
Barnabas 6:6 What then saith the prophet again? The assembly of evildoers gathered around Me, they surrounded Me as bees surround a comb; and; For My garment they cast a lot.
Barnabas 6:7 Forasmuch then as He was about to be manifested in the flesh and to suffer, His suffering was manifested beforehand. ...
I think that "Barnabas" showed that "The assembly of evildoers gathered around Me, they surrounded Me as bees surround a comb; and; For My garment they cast a lot" is in order to demonstrate that Jesus' "suffering was manifested beforehand" (that is in the Greek OT prophetic writings). It looks to me that casting Jesus' garment a lot was something already known by "Barnabas" and his audience. It does not look it is something that "Barnabas" read in the LXX and then thought it was a good idea to attribute that to Jesus.
It looks completely the other way around to me. It looks exactly like something somebody would find in the LXX and then attribute to Jesus.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ