NT books apparently known by Patristic Fathers

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: NT books apparently known by Patristic Fathers

Post by MrMacSon »

Bernard Muller wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:56 pm
.. 1 Clement (X for 1 Corinthians and Hebrews, X or ? for gMark) ..
Which parts of 1 Corinthians, Hewbrews, and gMark are in or alluded to in 1 Clement ??

and Barnabas' epistle (X for gMatthew, ? for gLuke & Acts), which also through the internal evidence would be late 1st century.
Which parts of gMatt are in or alluded to in Barnabas' epistle?

Since you have Marcion on your list, you should have also other Gnostics also, such as Basilides and Valentinus.

According to Hippolytus of Rome, Basilides (120-140 CE) knew about the gospels stories and quoted gJohn, gLuke (on the godly conception) and gMatthew.

Valentinus quoted gLuke (also on the godly conception).

Aristides and Quadratus also have gospels material in their surviving writings.

All details & evidence here: http://historical-jesus.info/gospels.html
Cheers. I'll have a look.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:04 pmWhich parts of gMatt are in or alluded to in Barnabas' epistle?

Barnabas 4.14: 14 And, moreover, my brethren, consider this. When ye see that after so many signs and wonders that have happened in Israel, even then they have been abandoned, let us take heed lest, as it is written, many of us be called but few chosen.

Matthew 22.14: 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Which parts of 1 Corinthians, Hebrews, and gMark are in or alluded to in 1 Clement??

1 Clement 47.1-3: 1 Take up the epistle of the blessed Paul the apostle. 2 What did he write to you first, in the beginning of the gospel? 3 Of a truth he charged you spiritually concerning himself and Cephas and Apollos, on account that even then you had made parties.

1 Corinthians 1.12: 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.”

Clement never explicitly names the epistle to the Hebrews, but there are certain overlaps between these two epistles, including the following (representatively, not exhaustively):
  • 1 Clement 9.3 (the translation of Enoch; see Hebrews 11.5).
  • 1 Clement 12.1-8 (the example of Rahab; see Hebrews 11.31).
  • 1 Clement 17.1 (goatskins and sheepskins; see Hebrews 11.37).
  • 1 Clement 27.2 (impossible for God to lie; see Hebrews 6.18).
  • 1 Clement 36.2 (a more excellent name than the angels; see Hebrews 1.4).
Such overlaps in phrasing or in idea were detected by, for example, Eusebius, who in History of the Church 3.38.1 remarks that Clement borrowed both thoughts and verbal expressions from the epistle to the Hebrews.

There are also possible synoptic gospel connections in Clement:

1 Clement 13.1-2: 1 Let us therefore, brethren, be humble, laying aside all boasting and pride, and folly and wrath, and let us do that which is written, for the Holy Spirit saith, "Let not the wise boast in his wisdom, nor the strong in his strength, nor the rich in his riches; but let him that boasteth make his boast in the Lord, even by seeking him and doing judgment and justice," especially remembering the words of our Lord Jesus Christ which he spake when teaching gentleness and long-suffering, for he spake thus: 2 "Show mercy, that ye may obtain mercy; forgive, that it may be forgiven unto you; as ye do, so shall it be done unto you; as ye give, so shall it be given unto you; as ye judge, so shall ye be judged; as ye are kindly affectioned, so shall kindness be showed unto you; with whatsover measure ye measure, with the same shall it be measured unto you."

Candidates include Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Q, at the very least.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Michael BG,
It seems safe to assume that the author of the Apology of Aristides has some of the same traditions which are found in the gospels and letters of Paul but he either does not know them or doesn’t use them regularly enough to quote from them.
By gospels material, I did not mean Aristides quoted the gospels, Rather he paraphrased them. Why would he need to quote them exactly?

Also in the apology, we have: "Take, then, their writings, and read therein, and lo! you will find that I have not put forth these things on my own authority, nor spoken thus as their advocate; but since I read in their writings I was fully assured of these things as also of things which are to come."
All the gospels things that Aristides described were in Christian writings.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to MrMacSon,
The 'Basilides of Tacitus & Suetonius' is a Basilides in Alexandria associated with a Serapeum and associated with Vespasian.
Yes the Basilides of Tacitus & Suetonius is the same guy, but gnostic Basilides, who lived 50 years later, is a different man.
Notice that Domitan managed to escape by disguising himself as a priest of Isis in 69 AD, and later, in 92 AD, rebuilt a temple of Isis -
What is the relevance of that concerning the "Basilides"?

Cordially, Bernard
Last edited by Bernard Muller on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:53 pm
MrMacSon wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:04 pmWhich parts of gMatt are in or alluded to in Barnabas' epistle?

Barnabas 4.14: 14 And, moreover, my brethren, consider this. When ye see that after so many signs and wonders that have happened in Israel, even then they have been abandoned, let us take heed lest, as it is written, many of us be called but few chosen.

Matthew 22.14: 14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:53 pm
MrMacSon wrote: Which parts of 1 Corinthians, Hebrews, and gMark are in or alluded to in 1 Clement??

1 Clement 47.1-3: 1 Take up the epistle of the blessed Paul the apostle. 2 What did he write to you first, in the beginning of the gospel? 3 Of a truth he charged you spiritually concerning himself and Cephas and Apollos, on account that even then you had made parties.

1 Corinthians 1.12: 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.”

Cheers Ben. Would tabulating named-correlations like that help created a picture of what Chapters are also [commonly] involved? -

• NT book
    Barnabas
    1 Clement

Matthew
    Barnabas 4.14
    Matthew 22.14
    1 Clement
    Mattew x:yz

1 Corinthians
    1 Clement 47.1-3
    1 Cor. 1:12

MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Bernard Muller wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 pm
to MrMacSon,
The 'Basilides of Tacitus & Suetonius' is a Basilides in Alexandria associated with a Serapeum and associated with Vespasian.
Yes the Basilides of Tacitus & Suetonius is the same guy, but gnostic Basilides, who lived 50 years later, is a different man.
What information do we have for ' 'gnostic Basilides', who lived 50 years later' ??

Bernard Muller wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 pm
Notice that Domitan managed to escape by disguising himself as a priest of Isis in 69 AD, and later, in 92 AD, rebuilt a temple of Isis -
What is the relevance of that concerning the "Basilides"?
No relevance to Basilides, but it is another example of a relationship to an emperor having some interaction with the religion/cult of Serapis
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to MrMacSon,
Which parts of 1 Corinthians, Hewbrews, and gMark are in or alluded to in 1 Clement ??
Which parts of gMatt are in or alluded to in Barnabas' epistle?
All details & evidence here: http://historical-jesus.info/gospels.html

Cheers. I'll have a look.
Good

Cordially, Bernard
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:20 pmCheers Ben. Would tabulating named-correlations like that help created a picture of what Chapters are also [commonly] involved? -

• NT book
    Barnabas
    1 Clement

Matthew
    Barnabas 4.14
    Matthew 22.14
    1 Clement
    Mattew x:yz

1 Corinthians
    1 Clement 47.1-3
    1 Cor. 1:12

Yes, I feel sure it would. But it would also threaten to make the resulting table huge. :)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

And, in the case of at least some of the entries on the table (Justin Martyr, for example), there is simply no way to be exhaustive in tabular format. There would be too many connections to NT writings.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:48 pm
... But it would also threaten to make the resulting table huge. :)

I was thinking of some of the NT books to which Patristic Fathers, or others, had a small number of correlations

or even some of the Apostoloc Fathers that had a small number of correlations