The sacrifices of the revolutionary soldier

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
FransJVermeiren

The sacrifices of the revolutionary soldier

Post by FransJVermeiren »

In Nestle-Aland, Luke 14:25-33 is titled ‘The cost of discipleship’. The core sentence of this ‘cost’ paragraph is verse 26, in which Jesus addresses a great multitude: “If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.” The cost of discipleship seems to be extremely high.

The following observations can be made on this verse:
  • a. There is a discrepancy between the ‘great multitude’ (ὄχλοι πολλοι) in verse 25 and the disciples (μαθητης) in verse 26. The great number of the audience gives the impression that a leader is speaking to his followers rather than a teacher to his disciples. Maybe μαθητης is better translated here as follower or adherent.
  • b. This great multitude is male. If we take this element into account, we can translate ὄχλοι πολλοι as ‘many ordinary men’.
    Elsewhere I discussed the ‘feeding of the 5000’ fragment, showing that these 5000 were revolutionary soldiers. Verse 26 may be part of Jesus’ speech to the 5000 or to a similar assembly of Galilean recruits.
  • c. The μισεῖ verb is traditionally translated as ‘to hate’. It is strange that Jesus asks his followers to hate their parents, as this request is diametrically opposed to his command to honor one’s parents elsewhere in the gospels (following the OT commandment). However, μισέω can also be translated as ‘disfavor, disregard, renounce’, and then this sentence is the simple warning that his recruits will have to abandon their families by leaving their home and livelihood. This is a basic characteristic of the life of a soldier.
  • d. The sacrifice is extreme. Considering that Jesus is addressing common people who do not have any significant possessions, Jesus warns them that they should be prepared to sacrifice all they have: their family and their life. This extreme sacrifice, which is summarized in verse 33, fits into a war scenario.
When we look at the rest of this fragment, we also find ourselves in a war atmosphere.

Verses 28-30 read as follows:
(28) “For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? (29) Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, (30) saying, ‘This man began to build, and was not able to finish.’ ”

At first sight these verses seem to be a neutral reflection on foresight, but πυργος (tower) is not a neutral word. A πυργος is a fortified structure, a defensive tower to repel hostile attacks and to enable watchmen to see in every direction (Strong’s 4444). So these verses are about foresight in preparing the war. They are reminiscent of Josephus’s description of his attempts to fortify the Galilean towns and strongholds. The defence of Galilee had to be realized in a short time, so it is not improbable that funds, time or manpower to finish the work lacked. Maybe these verses are a criticism of Josephus, who was responsible for the organization of the defence of Galilee in 66-67 CE.

The next two verses are overtly warlike:
(31) “Or what king, going to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? (32) And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an embassy and asks terms of peace.”

These verses are a reflection on the desirability of waging war against a powerful enemy. The number of 20,000 for the troops of the enemy may be referring concretely to the war against the Romans. With a number of 5,120 legionaries per legion, the total strength of the Roman army marching against the Jews was 20,480 legionaries (four legions, the auxiliaries left uncounted). The Jews seemed to estimate their strength at half the Romans’.
One could object that the second and third element of this paragraph are critical towards the war. Maybe they can be interpreted as a counterweight aimed at obscuring Jesus’ belligerent speech in the first part. All in all the three parts of this passage are held together by the war theme.

My research has shown that the Jesus of the gospels is the same person as Jesus son of Saphat in Josephus. Josephus describes Jesus son of Saphat as the leader of the pro-war faction in Tiberias. In Life Josephus describes this party as the party of the common people. In this writing Jesus is connected to the multitude (ὄχλος) at least two times. In verse 133 Jesus son of Sapphias, ‘at that time the chief magistrate of Tiberias’ is called ‘the principal instigator of the mob’. Also in verse 277 a large crowd in the synagogue of Tiberias is associated with Jesus, who seems to have the lead of that assembly.
Finally I would like to point to an editing issue. It is remarkable that three verses of this fragment (26, 27 and 33) end with the same phrase ‘cannot be my disciple’ (ού δύναται εἶναι μου μαθητἠς). As the content of verse 33 perfectly connects with verse 26, maybe the original sequence was verse 25-26-33, verse 27 being a later insertion. I reconstruct as follows:

(The sacrifices of the revolutionary soldier)
(25) Now many ordinary men accompanied him; and he turned and said to them, (26) “If any one comes to me and does not disregard his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes and even his own life, he cannot be my follower. [(27)] (33) So therefore, whoever of you does not renounce all that he has cannot be my adherent.”

(Worries about defence)
(28) For which of you, desiring to build a defensive tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? (29) Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, (30) saying, ‘This man began to build, and was not able to finish.’

(Worries about strength)
(31) Or what king, going to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? (32) And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an embassy and asks terms of peace.
Last edited by FransJVermeiren on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.
maryhelena

Re: The sacrifices of the revolutionary soldier

Post by maryhelena »

FransJVermeiren wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:39 am
[snip]

My research has shown that the Jesus of the gospels is the same person as Jesus son of Saphat in Josephus.
Just because Josephus tells a story about such and such a figure does not grant historicity to such a figure.

Best to keep in mind that if the gospel writers can write pseudo-history then so too can Josephus. The danger in viewing all figures in Josephus as historical is that one could find oneself equating the gospel literary figure to a Josephan literary figure. That's a bit like checkmate as far as furthering research into early christian origins. In other words its an inglorious dead-end :)
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
FransJVermeiren

Post by FransJVermeiren »

maryhelena wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:36 am
Best to keep in mind that if the gospel writers can write pseudo-history then so too can Josephus. The danger in viewing all figures in Josephus as historical is that one could find oneself equating the gospel literary figure to a Josephan literary figure.
If I understand well, you distinguish between historical and non-historical figures in Josephus. To mention a few figures in Josephus: Vespasian, Titus, Nero, Pontius Pilate, Gessius Florus, Albinus, Herod the Great, Agrippa, Simon bar Gioras, Tiberius Alexander, Terentius Rufus, Jesus bar Saphat, John of Gischala. Which of them do you consider to be historical?
www.waroriginsofchristianity.com

The practical modes of concealment are limited only by the imaginative capacity of subordinates. James C. Scott, Domination and the Arts of Resistance.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

FransJVermeiren wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:44 am
maryhelena wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:36 am
Best to keep in mind that if the gospel writers can write pseudo-history then so too can Josephus. The danger in viewing all figures in Josephus as historical is that one could find oneself equating the gospel literary figure to a Josephan literary figure.
If I understand well, you distinguish between historical and non-historical figures in Josephus. To mention a few figures in Josephus: Vespasian, Titus, Nero, Pontius Pilate, Gessius Florus, Albinus, Herod the Great, Agrippa, Simon bar Gioras, Tiberius Alexander, Terentius Rufus, Jesus bar Saphat, John of Gischala. Which of them do you consider to be historical?
If you want to use a figure in the writings of Josephus, to support your theory regarding the gospel figure of Jesus, - then it falls upon you to provide historical evidence to support that Josephan figure. If you can't do that, then, methinks, you need to go back to the drawing board and rethink your theory.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

FJV --

I cannot go as far as you go in this direction but I do find a sympathetic moment in Luke:

Luke 9: 51 - 62 (RSV):

[51] When the days drew near for him to be received up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem.
[52] And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him;
[53] but the people would not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem.
[54] And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, do you want us to bid fire come down from heaven and consume them?"
[55] But he turned and rebuked them.
[56] And they went on to another village.
[57] As they were going along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."
[58] And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."
[59] To another he said, "Follow me." But he said, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
[60] But he said to him, "Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."
[61] Another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home."
[62] Jesus said to him, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God."

In a modern novel version, this may be the beginning of the NT. To me, this is set around 8/9 CE and it tells the Story of the Priestly Return to Jerusalem in one last Call to Glory. Jairus has convinced the Priest to try one more time. He goes to his death.

Ahh, but notice those who supported the Priest! For 12 years they told him that they would go with him wherever he went! Now, when it is time to go, they cannot/will not. Once again, it is not Metaphysics that drives the Tale. It is a real world frustration that drives the Noir Story.

Very nice exposition here, FJV.

CW