Is There Any Evidence that Jews Used What is Called 'the LXX'?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Is There Any Evidence that Jews Used What is Called 'the LXX'?

Post by Secret Alias »

I know the story about the Alexandrian translation by the Seventy. I know that Philo used a Greek translation which was presumably by these men. But I have noticed differences in this text and what now passes as 'the LXX.' What evidence is there that Jews used this text or any text called 'the LXX' or the seventy? I see the Jews only employing Aquila?
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: Is There Any Evidence that Jews Used What is Called 'the LXX'?

Post by Secret Alias »

Josephus did not use the LXX. Instead he openly declares that he “translated” the narratives of Jewish Antiquities from the Hebrew scriptures.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Philo provides a version of the story of the origins of the LXX.

Andrew Criddle
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Right. I agree there was a translation called the Seventy used by Alexandrian Jews. It was likely only of the Pentateuch and there are differences between Philo's citation of that text and our LXX. My question was is there any evidence that Jews used our LXX text or perhaps that Jews outside of Alexandria used any text called the LXX.
iskander

Post by iskander »

The Greek translation of the Septugint was the work undertaken by Jews to allow emigrant Jews who spoke only Greek to remain Jewish . It was a work performed to avoid those emigrants to disappear down the same hole that had swallowed the ten Israelites tribes of the Northern Kingdom .

The Septuagint kept the Diaspora Jewish. The Septuagint should be worshipped by modern Jews as a calf made of diamonds, --and diamonds are forever
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1978
Re: Psalm 22:17, Hebrew Text, "Like A Lion". Who's Lion?

Post by iskander » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:53 am

Lawrence Schhiffman :
beowulf wrote:...

Lawrence Schiffman writes that "as for the reading of the Torah, it is virtually certain that the Greek Bible texts, of which the Septuagint is an example, were in use ".He adds, " The Septuagint began to take shape in the third century BCE in response to the need of the Alexandrian Jewish community. By the second century the books of the latter prophets, then the former , were translated as well. Some of the Writings had also been translated by the beginning of the second century BCE ,whereas others were rendered into Greek only in the first century."

Re: Psalm 22:17, Hebrew Text, "Like A Lion". Who's Lion?

Post by iskander » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:53 pm

Lawrence Schiffman :From Text to Tradition, A History of Second Temple and Rabbinic Judaism
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3kW ... er&f=false
Page 89, 92.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But I am asking for evidence not modern conjecture.
iskander

Post by iskander »

You can contact Professor Lawrence Schiffman
Secret Alias wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm I tried to talk to Magen Broshi earlier this year. His wife said he was basically out of commission.
Last edited by iskander on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

That's the laziest response ever at the site.
iskander

Post by iskander »

You are a typical example of the quality of the posters posting here : you demand someone gives you evidence of some Jew using the Septuagint some 22 centuries ago !!

You can contact Professor Lawrence Schiffman
Secret Alias wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm I tried to talk to Magen Broshi earlier this year. His wife said he was basically out of commission.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

iskander wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm
The Greek translation of the Septugint was the work undertaken by Jews to allow emigrant Jews who spoke only Greek to remain Jewish. It was a work performed to avoid those emigrants to disappear down the same hole that had swallowed the ten Israelites tribes of the Northern Kingdom .

The Septuagint kept the Diaspora Jewish ...

What [Jewish] Diaspora? When? Where?