Matt 2:23 and Tertullian’s 'Adv. Marc.' IV.viii

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Matt 2:23 and Tertullian’s 'Adv. Marc.' IV.viii

Post by MrMacSon »

John T wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:23 pm ... you can postulate that the prophecy of a Nazarene/nazirite messiah would be found somewhere in one of the missing chapters, my guess is chapter 35.
One of the missing chapters of ... ? Matthew?
John T

Re: Matt 2:23 and Tertullian’s 'Adv. Marc.' IV.viii

Post by John T »

MrMacSon wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 pm
John T wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:23 pm ... you can postulate that the prophecy of a Nazarene/nazirite messiah would be found somewhere in one of the missing chapters, my guess is chapter 35.
One of the missing chapters of ... ? Matthew?
Jeremiah chapter 35.

Let me flesh it out a bit more:

1. Matthew 2:23 is referring to one of many prophecies from Jeremiah regarding the description/demographics of the anticipated messiah. e.g.,
Then was fulfilled what had been spoken through the prophet Jeremiah: (Matthew 2:17)

2. The DSS at Qumran (cave 2) had several fragments of Jeremiah. Fragments from a Septuagint version and others from a proto-Masoretic version (275-175 B.C.). The proto-Masoretic version differs from the Septuagint version and current Masoretic version, especially in the placement of prophecies against nations.

3. In the hands of the Essenes, apparent discrepancies by Jeremiah regarding the messiah and prophecies as to when and where the messiah will appear would be studied closely and clarified by the Teacher of Righteousness of Qumran.

4. My guess is that the unsourced prophecy predicting the messiah to emerge from the newly created town of Nazareth would be found in the proto-Masoretic (extended version) of Jeremiah in what we now refer to as chapter 35.
...therefore thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Jonadab son of Rechab shall not lack a descendant to stand before me for all time. (Jeremiah 35:19)

5. It makes much more sense (to me at least) that Matthew is not making stuff up about a centuries old prediction (from Jeremiah) that Jesus would come from Nazareth but rather that Matthew is referring to a prophecy found in the DSS proto-Masoretic text of Jeremiah.

6. If true (big if) Tertullian would be ignorant of the DSS proto-Masoretic text containing additional prophecies from Jeremiah proclaiming Jesus to be called a Nazarene and hence his speculation as to what the original Jewish Christians meant by Matthew 2:23.

Sincerely,

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift