Codex Tchacos and 1 Apoc. Jas. — Any translations anywhere?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Tenorikuma

Codex Tchacos and 1 Apoc. Jas. — Any translations anywhere?

Post by Tenorikuma »

While Codex Tchacos is mainly famous for providing us with a copy of the Gospel of Judas, it also apparently contains a more complete version of the First Apocalypse of James than the one found in the Nag Hammadi library. However, only the version from NH has been translated and published in English, and even the author of a recent volume acknowledges that the version from Codex Tchacos has not been made available to compare readings and fill in the lacunae.

Now, I have found a recent volume in German, Codex Tchacos: Texte und Analysen, that costs upwards of $200 and provides the text and translation of the entire codex in German. I'm not about to spend that much to satisfy my curiosity, so does anyone have a lead on another copy of 1 Apoc Jas from Codex Tchacos, or even an academic article on it?
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Codex Tchacos and 1 Apoc. Jas. — Any translations anywhe

Post by Peter Kirby »

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gospel-Judas- ... al+edition

This has the First Revelation of James (pp. 120-161 in my copy) with a translation, transcription, and photographs.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Thanks, I had overlooked that one somehow!
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Nag Hammadi Scriptures makes limited use of Codex Tchacos for the text of 1 Apoc. James and gives the ending of this work in Codex Tchacos in a footnote.

Andrew Criddle
Tenorikuma

Post by Tenorikuma »

Thanks, Andrew. I see it's very cheap to boot!