A false dilemma: Nazaret versus Bethlehem

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

A false dilemma: Nazaret versus Bethlehem

Post by Giuseppe »

"The birth in Bethlehem was invented to neutralize the infancy in the obscure Nazareth".

Obviously, for "the criterion of embarrassment".

But if they wanted to insist obsessively - I mean: really obssessively - on the davidic origin of Jesus, against Marcion, both Nazaret and Bethlehem work in the same direction: Jesus is davidic.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
hakeem

Re: A false dilemma: Nazaret versus Bethlehem

Post by hakeem »

Giuseppe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am "The birth in Bethlehem was invented to neutralize the infancy in the obscure Nazareth".

Obviously, for "the criterion of embarrassment".

But if they wanted to insist obsessively - I mean: really obssessively - on the davidic origin of Jesus, against Marcion, both Nazaret and Bethlehem work in the same direction: Jesus is davidic.
Your post is most amusing. They wanted to insist on the davidic origin of Jesus so they claimed he was born in Bethlehem of a Holy Ghost and a Virgin without a human father. :lol: :lol:

Matthew 1.20
But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
Luke 1:35
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God..
Christian writers show that their Jesus had DIVINE origin.
Ulan

Re: A false dilemma: Nazaret versus Bethlehem

Post by Ulan »

They wanted to eat their cake and have it, too. That's why the texts are such a mess.

Regarding the thread title, sure, it's a false dilemma. I'd give other reasons though.