Diatessaronic conflation.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Diatessaronic conflation.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Nothing big here; just a little sample, chosen practically at random, of the Arabic Diatessaron (translated by Hope W. Hogg) set out with its agreements with each of the synoptic gospels marked. I am trying to get a handle on exactly what kind of compositional strategies and methods might have gone into the production of such a text.

Agreements with Matthew
Agreements with Mark
Agreements with Luke

Arabic Diatessaron: And they came again to Jerusalem. And it came to pass, on one of the days, as Jesus was walking in the temple, and teaching the people, and preaching the gospel, that the chief priests and the scribes with the elders came upon him, and said unto him, "Tell us, by what power doest thou this? And who gave thee this power to do that?" And Jesus said unto them, "I also will ask you one word, and if ye tell me, I also shall tell you by what power I do that. The baptism of John, from what place is it? From heaven or of men? Tell me." And they reflected within themselves, and said, "If we shall say unto him, 'From heaven,' he will say unto us, 'For what reason did ye not believe him?' But if we shall say, 'Of men,' we fear that the people will stone us, all of them." And all of them were holding to John, that he was a true prophet. They answered and said unto him, "We know not." Jesus said unto them, "Neither tell I you also by what power I work."

Matthew 21.23-27: 23 When He entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to Him while He was teaching, and said, "By what authority are You doing these things, and who gave You this authority?" 24 Jesus said to them, "I will also ask you one thing, which if you tell Me, I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. 25 "The baptism of John was from what source, from heaven or from men?" And they began reasoning among themselves, saying, "If we say, 'From heaven,' He will say to us, 'Then why did you not believe him?' 26 "But if we say, 'From men,' we fear the people; for they all regard John as a prophet." 27 And answering Jesus, they said, "We do not know." He also said to them, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things."

Mark 11.27-33: 27 They came again to Jerusalem. And as He was walking in the temple, the chief priests and the scribes and the elders came to Him, 28 and began saying to Him, "By what authority are You doing these things, or who gave You this authority to do these things?" 29 And Jesus said to them, "I will ask you one question, and you answer Me, and then I will tell you by what authority I do these things. 30 "Was the baptism of John from heaven, or from men? Answer Me." 31 They began reasoning among themselves, saying, "If we say, 'From heaven,' He will say, 'Then why did you not believe him?' 32 "But shall we say, 'From men?'" They were afraid of the people, for everyone considered John to have been a real prophet. 33 Answering Jesus, they said, "We do not know." And Jesus said to them, "Nor will I tell you by what authority I do these things."

Luke 20.1-8: 1 On one of the days while He was teaching the people in the temple and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes with the elders confronted Him, 2 and they spoke, saying to Him, "Tell us by what authority You are doing these things, or who is the one who gave You this authority?" 3 Jesus answered and said to them, "I will also ask you a question, and you tell Me: 4 "Was the baptism of John from heaven or from men?" 5 They reasoned among themselves, saying, "If we say, 'From heaven,' He will say, 'Why did you not believe him?' 6 "But if we say, 'From men,' all the people will stone us to death, for they are convinced that John was a prophet." 7 So they answered that they did not know where it came from. 8 And Jesus said to them, "Nor will I tell you by what authority I do these things."

As an aside, Kunigunde, I notice that this Diatessaron seems to interpret Mark 11.32 exactly as you would have it:
Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pmAs for the position of the ὄντως, might it not be modifying εἶχον instead of ἦν?
Yes, I think so. But I assume that no one would agree that the translation should be „for all had (held ?) really John that he was a prophet“
This Diatessaron applies the sense of it to the ἦν.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Re: Diatessaronic conflation.

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:20 pm As an aside, Kunigunde, I notice that this Diatessaron seems to interpret Mark 11.32 exactly as you would have it:
Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pmAs for the position of the ὄντως, might it not be modifying εἶχον instead of ἦν?
Yes, I think so. But I assume that no one would agree that the translation should be „for all had (held ?) really John that he was a prophet“
This Diatessaron applies the sense of it to the ἦν.
Yeah, but almost all "translations", ancient or modern, do this.