Does Paul ever hint at a Pentecost event?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: Does Paul ever hint at a Pentecost event?

Post by andrewcriddle »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:27 pm

From: The Christophany to More than Five Hundred Brethren
S. MacLean Gilmour
Journal of Biblical Literature
Vol. 80, No. 3 (Sep., 1961), pp. 248-252
Published by: The Society of Biblical Literature DOI: 10.2307/3264781
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3264781
So far as I have been able to discover, the first to suggest that the Christophany to the Five Hundred is a doublet of the Pentecost story in Acts 2 1-4 was Christian Hermann Weisse, a professor of philosophy at Leipzig from 1828 to 1845. In his Die evangelische Geschichte, published in 1838, Weisse maintained that, “However bold and paradoxical the idea may seem, ... the appearance of the Risen Christ to more than five hundred brethren . . . can be no other event than the outpouring of the Spirit at the Feast of Pentecost.” He went on to observe that Luke, in contrast to Paul and John and alone among NT writers, separates the recognition of the Risen Christ from the receipt of the Spirit, just as he alone differentiates the ascension from the resurrection.

Presumably Weisse’s suggestion was accepted by at least some German scholars of his day, for Otto Pfleiderer wrote in 1887 of the Lukan story of Pentecost: “We cannot be certain of the nature of the event that gave rise to this tradition, but the hypothesis that it could have been the same as that to which Paul refers in I Cor. 15:6 is very attractive.” But it was not until fifteen years after the publication of Pfleiderer’s Das Urchristentum, and sixty-five years after Weisse’s original suggestion in Die evangelische Geschichte, that any serious attempt was made to demonstrate the hypothesis. In the spring of 1903, Ernst von Dobschutz, professor of theology at Jena, published a study entitled Ostern und Pfingsten, in which he made a strong case — a strong case, at least in my judgment — for the essential identity of the NT accounts in John 20 21-23, I Cor 15 6, and Acts 2.3 Referring later to this little book, von Dobschutz said that he had developed his idea of the identity of Easter and Pentecost from suggestions made by Hilgenfeld — his elder colleague at Jena, to whom on his eightieth birthday Ostern und Pfingsten had been dedicated — and Pfleiderer; but made no mention of Weisse, whom I assume he had not read.
If you can get a hold of Dobschutz's book and read/translate pages 33 to 43 you should have one of the earliest cases for the indentity of the 500 and Pentecost.
Thanks Neil

Andrew Criddle
Stefan Kristensen

Post by Stefan Kristensen »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:27 pm
Stefan Kristensen wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 am
neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 am It has been suggested that the pentecost event in Acts was somehow related in some confused (or word-play?) manner with Paul's 1 Cor 15:6 reference to the resurrected christ appearing to the 500 at once. 500 = pentakosiois
(πεντακοσίοις)
Very interesting, I didn't know that. Do you remember who have suggested this?

For me it makes sense that, historically, the perceived experience of God 'pouring out' his spirit in the end times was connected with the first perceived experiences of the resurrected Jesus. That these two things, historically, are intimately connected: The resurrection belief and the belief in the 'pouring out' of God's spirit. It makes sense that the first experiences of the resurrected Jesus was at the same time an ecstatic experience, afterwards explained as God's 'pouring out' of his spirit.
S. MacLean Gilmour
So far as I have been able to discover, the first to suggest that the Christophany to the Five Hundred is a doublet of the Pentecost story in Acts 2 1-4 was Christian Hermann Weisse, a professor of philosophy at Leipzig from 1828 to 1845. In his Die evangelische Geschichte, published in 1838, Weisse maintained that, “However bold and paradoxical the idea may seem, ... the appearance of the Risen Christ to more than five hundred brethren . . . can be no other event than the outpouring of the Spirit at the Feast of Pentecost.” He went on to observe that Luke, in contrast to Paul and John and alone among NT writers, separates the recognition of the Risen Christ from the receipt of the Spirit, just as he alone differentiates the ascension from the resurrection.

Presumably Weisse’s suggestion was accepted by at least some German scholars of his day, for Otto Pfleiderer wrote in 1887 of the Lukan story of Pentecost: “We cannot be certain of the nature of the event that gave rise to this tradition, but the hypothesis that it could have been the same as that to which Paul refers in I Cor. 15:6 is very attractive.” But it was not until fifteen years after the publication of Pfleiderer’s Das Urchristentum, and sixty-five years after Weisse’s original suggestion in Die evangelische Geschichte, that any serious attempt was made to demonstrate the hypothesis. In the spring of 1903, Ernst von Dobschutz, professor of theology at Jena, published a study entitled Ostern und Pfingsten, in which he made a strong case — a strong case, at least in my judgment — for the essential identity of the NT accounts in John 20 21-23, I Cor 15 6, and Acts 2.3 Referring later to this little book, von Dobschutz said that he had developed his idea of the identity of Easter and Pentecost from suggestions made by Hilgenfeld — his elder colleague at Jena, to whom on his eightieth birthday Ostern und Pfingsten had been dedicated — and Pfleiderer; but made no mention of Weisse, whom I assume he had not read.
If you can get a hold of Dobschutz's book and read/translate pages 33 to 43 you should have one of the earliest cases for the indentity of the 500 and Pentecost.
Excellent work, thank you!
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:27 pm It has been suggested that the pentecost event in Acts was somehow related in some confused (or word-play?) manner with Paul's 1 Cor 15:6 reference to the resurrected christ appearing to the 500 at once. 500 = pentakosiois
(πεντακοσίοις)

. . . .

S. MacLean Gilmour
In the spring of 1903, Ernst von Dobschutz, professor of theology at Jena, published a study entitled Ostern und Pfingsten, in which he made a strong case — a strong case, at least in my judgment — for the essential identity of the NT accounts in John 20 21-23, I Cor 15 6, and Acts 2.3 Referring later to this little book, von Dobschutz said that he had developed his idea of the identity of Easter and Pentecost from suggestions made by Hilgenfeld . . . .
Here are those pages 33 to 43:
33-43.pdf
(372.88 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Now, does anyone have the time and inclination to translate those into English?
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
Stefan Kristensen

Post by Stefan Kristensen »

neilgodfrey wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 pm
neilgodfrey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:27 pm It has been suggested that the pentecost event in Acts was somehow related in some confused (or word-play?) manner with Paul's 1 Cor 15:6 reference to the resurrected christ appearing to the 500 at once. 500 = pentakosiois
(πεντακοσίοις)

. . . .

S. MacLean Gilmour
In the spring of 1903, Ernst von Dobschutz, professor of theology at Jena, published a study entitled Ostern und Pfingsten, in which he made a strong case — a strong case, at least in my judgment — for the essential identity of the NT accounts in John 20 21-23, I Cor 15 6, and Acts 2.3 Referring later to this little book, von Dobschutz said that he had developed his idea of the identity of Easter and Pentecost from suggestions made by Hilgenfeld . . . .
Here are those pages 33 to 43:

33-43.pdf

Now, does anyone have the time and inclination to translate those into English?
Absolutely superb, nice christmas present. I may have time to translate before next year, but can't promise.